Subject: Scientists discover breakthrough to look younger

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 10:33:13 -0500

[Turn back the clock on your skin.](http://lc.anniw.com/lifecell.0d68eede5d4e387a4d36d7be8402173f)
[![](http://scontent-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/1013465_47804818565037
3_708335800_n.jpg)](http://lc.anniw.com/lifecell.0d68eede5d4e387a4d36d7be8402173f)
[![](http://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1888679_47807674898085
0_2009600051_n.jpg)](http://lc.anniw.com/unsublifecell.0d68eede5d4e387a4d36d7be8402173f)
![](http://lc.anniw.com/[email-masked])
Life is a characteristic that distinguishes objects that have signaling and
self-sustaining processes from those that do not,[1][2] either because such
functions have ceased (death), or else because they lack such functions and
are classified as inanimate.[3][4] Biology is the science concerned with the
study of life. Any contiguous living system is called an organism. Organisms
undergo metabolism, maintain homeostasis, possess a capacity to grow, respond
to stimuli, reproduce and, through natural selection, adapt to their
environment in successive generations. More complex living organisms can
communicate through various means.[1][5] A diverse array of living organisms
can be found in the biosphere of Earth, and the properties common to these
organisms Materialism Plant growth in the Hoh Rainforest Herds of zebra and
impala gathering on the Maasai Mara plain An aerial photo of microbial mats
around the Grand Prismatic Spring of Yellowstone National Park Some of the
earliest theories of life were materialist, holding that all that exists is
matter, and that life is merely a complex form or arrangement of matter.
Empedocles (430 BC) argued that every thing in the universe is made up of a
combination of four eternal "elements" or "roots of all": earth, water, air,
and fire. All change is explained by the arrangement and rearrangement of
these four elements. The various forms of life are caused by an appropriate
mixture of elements.[14] Democritus (460 BC) thought that the essential
characteristic of life is having a soul (psyche). Like other ancient writers,
he was attempting to explain what makes something a living thing. His
explanation was that fiery atoms make a soul in exactly the same way atoms and
void account for any other thing. He elaborates on fire because of the
apparent connection between life and heat, and because fire moves.[15] Plato's
world of eternal and unchanging Forms, imperfectly represented in matter by a
divine Artisan, contrasts sharply with the various mechanistic
Weltanschauungen, of which atomism was, by the fourth century at least, the
most prominent... This debate persisted throughout the ancient world.
Atomistic mechanism got a shot in the arm from Epicurus... while the Stoics
adopted a divine teleology... The choice seems simple: either show how a
structured, regular world could arise out of undirected processes, or inject
intelligence into the system.