Subject: 2/9 User Experiences with the Communications Revolution -- Charles H. House, Intel Dialogic Division

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 10:00:00 -0800

Berkeley Multimedia, Graphics and Interfaces Seminar

User Experiences with the Communications Revolution

Wednesday February 9, 2000, 
1:10-2:30 p.m. PST
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall) 

Charles H. House
Intel Dialogic Division 

After driving fifty miles down a long road in eastern China, and seeing six
vehicles in an hour, heading to a "town" of 4 million people with only
three "Western" hotels, our driver’s beeper beeped. He pulled it out of his
pocket, scanned the screen, and said, in perfect English, "ahh, Cisco, up a
½ point". Not as compelling as the wireless phone call from the top of Mt.
Everest to his wife in New Zealand as the stricken climber died, but
compelling enough for the van of travelers that the world of communications
has indeed changed. 

What will be the impact of our new technologies - ever more complex and
cheaper chips, wireless and glass-based wideband networks, and ubiquitous
databases with XML cross-product "joins"? Everything from e-commerce to
"virtual meetings" to new forms of company, community, and governance will
happen. The CITS group (Center for Information Technology and Society) at
UCSB has been established to study these impacts from a wide perspective.
Our speaker, who had a key role in founding the Center, will describe some
of the inquiry that will be done there, and some of the major observations
of where this work might be expected to lead.

---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a Real Networks
G2 broadcast.
You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:

http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/schedule.cfm 
You'll see a link to cs298-5/real networks/live programs.  

You can also directly put in this url into the Real Player: 
rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm

To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving the
announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually configuring
the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session addresses:

low bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.1/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

medium bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.129/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to replays
of previous seminars at the MIG Seminar web page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/298/index.html

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center