Subject: 3/22 Gaze-corrected Videoconferencing -- Jim Gemmell, Microsoft Bay Area Research Center

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 10:00:00 -0800

Berkeley Multimedia, Graphics and Interfaces Seminar

Gaze-corrected Videoconferencing

Wednesday March 22, 2000 
1:10 - 2:30 PST
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall) 

Jim Gemmell 
Microsoft Bay Area Research Center 

Many desktop videoconferencing systems are ineffective due to deficiencies
in gaze awareness and sense of spatial relationship. Previous work to
correct this has employed special hardware. At Microsoft's Bay Area
Research Center, we have been working on a software-only approach. Heads
and eyes in the video are tracked using computer-vision techniques, and the
tracking information is transmitted along with the video stream. Receivers
take the tracking information corresponding to the video to place the head
and eyes in a virtual 3D space such that gaze awareness and a sense of
space is provided.
---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a Real Networks
G2 broadcast.

You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:

http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/schedule.cfm 
You'll see a link to cs298-5/real networks/live programs.  

You can also directly put in this url into the Real Player: 
rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm

To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving the
announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually configuring
the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session addresses:

low bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.1/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

medium bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.129/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to replays
of previous seminars at the MIG Seminar web page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/298/index.html

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center