Subject: 3/8 UC Extension Online: A Case Study in Online Program Development -- Mary Beth Almeda, Center for Media and Independent Learning, UC Berkeley Extension

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 10:00:00 -0800

Berkeley Multimedia Interfaces and Graphics Seminar

UC Extension Online: A Case Study in Online Program Development

Wednesday March 8, 2000, 
1:10 - 2:30 PST
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall) 

Mary Beth Almeda 
Center for Media and Independent Learning, UC Berkeley Extension 

UC Extension Online launched its first program site for online courses in
January 1996 with nine courses ranging from hazardous materials management
to critical thinking. To date, the program has designed and developed more
than 120 online courses offered on two sites: the original site on America
Online (keyword: ucx) and an Internet site (http://learn.berkeley.edu/).
More than 4,500 students have enrolled since the start of the program, and
enrollments for FY2000-2001 are projected to be 4,000. 

Mary Beth Almeda, Director of UC Extension's Center for Media and
Independent Learning, where the project is housed, will describe the
development of the project, the range of services and support needed for a
successful program, and some of the issues facing the program as it expands
and institutionalizes its operations. Kathleen Rose, Instructional Support
Manager, will discuss instructor selection, training, and support. Larry
Cooperman, Manager of Instructional Technology Development will demonstrate
selected courses to show how online features have been integrated into the
learning process. 
---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a Real Networks
G2 broadcast.

You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:

http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/schedule.cfm 
You'll see a link to cs298-5/real networks/live programs.  

You can also directly put in this url into the Real Player: 
rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm

To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving the
announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually configuring
the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session addresses:

low bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.1/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

medium bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.129/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to replays
of previous seminars at the MIG Seminar web page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/298/index.html

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center