Subject: 4/5 Building the 4th Generation, All-IP Cellular Network -- James Kempf, Sun Microsystems

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 10:00:00 -0800

Berkeley Multimedia, Graphics and Interfaces Seminar

Building the 4th Generation, All-IP Cellular Network

Wednesday April 5, 2000 
1:10 - 2:30 PST
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall) 

James Kempf 
Sun Microsystems 

Third generation cellular networks are being deployed in Europe (GPRS) and
are about to be deployed in the US (CDMA-2000). Third generation networks
are characterized by tunneling protocols that provide IP for data services
to handsets. Multimedia (and in particular voice) services continue to use
traditional protocols. 

This talk will discuss research topics and standardization work toward
designing 4th generation, all-IP networks, in which the cellular provider
becomes a wireless ISP and the handset an IP phone.
---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a Real Networks
G2 broadcast.

You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:

http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/schedule.cfm 
You'll see a link to cs298-5/real networks/live programs.  

You can also directly put in this url into the Real Player: 
rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm

To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving the
announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually configuring
the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session addresses:

low bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.1/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

medium bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.129/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to replays
of previous seminars at the MIG Seminar web page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/298/index.html

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center