Subject: SunVideoPlus 1.3, SunForum, and UCL vic

From: "R. P. Channing Rodgers, M.D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 17:25:42 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Colleagues,

From the flow of postings to these groups, I suspect that many others
are as frustrated with the PCI-based SunVideoPlus card as we have been.
We achieved a certain amount of stabiilty for a time by using the Osprey-
supplied Sun-style packages (ftp://www.mmac.com/pub/osprey1k/solaris/vic):

   MMACo1kp Osprey-1500 Audio/Video Codec PCI Card Device Driver. 
   MMACo1ku Osprey-1x00 Audio/Video Codec Runtime Support Software
   MMACo1kx Osprey-1x00 Audio/Video Codec XIL 1.3 Runtime Support Software

instead of the SunVideoPlus drivers supplied by Sun.  Under this regime,
we were able to successfully run various versions of UCL vic.

However, we have been attempting to perform interoperability tests between
various open-standards-based teleconferencing tools (UCL tools, SunForum,
netmeeting, CUSeeMe) on various platforms (Sun, PC, Mac).  So we installed
SunForum (http://www.sun.com/desktop/products/software/sunforum/)
on a SPARC 60 under Solaris 2.6.  SunForum works, except for video;
the video-related icons and menu choices on the sunforum application are
always grayed out, as if the application does not detect the card.  The
Sun documentation claims that the SunVideo_Plus 1.3 software
(http://www.sun.com/desktop/products/graphics/sunvideoplus.html)
is required for SunForum.  So we uninstalled the MMAC* packages,
and installed SunVideo_Plus 1.3, comprising these packages:

   SUNWo1kpu   SunVideo Plus Runtime Support Software (sparc) 1.3,REV=1.3.1
   SUNWopi     OPI Runtime Library Package (sparc) 2.2,REV=2.2.0
   SUNWopi1k   SunVideoPlus OPI Runtime Package (sparc) 2.2,REV=2.2.0
   SUNWsvpab   SunVideo Plus Collection (all) 188.2.4
   SUNWvtsvp   SunVTS Sun Video Plus test module
   SUNWo1kpd.u SunVideo Plus PCI Card Dev Driver (sparc.sun4u) 1.3,REV=2.3.1
   SUNWo1kpx   SunVideo Plus XIL-1.3 Runtime Support Software

However, there is no change in the behavior of sunforum (video still not
working), and we are uncertain as to whether vic is going to work or not
(have not completed modification of our shell script wrapper).

Has anyone succeeded in getting all components of sunforum to work on a similar
platform, while also still successfully supporting the UCL version of vic?
Any ideas about what we are doing wrong here?

Thanks and Cheerio, Rick Rodgers

---

From: Mark Prior <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:33:01 +0930

I don't know about the SunForum stuff but at the IETF one of the
workstations we were using was a U5 running Solaris 7 with SunVideo
Plus 1.3 and that didn't have any problems with the UCL version of
vic.

Mark.