Subject: 4/26 SMIL/XML ... -- Patrick Schmitz, Microsoft Bay Area Research Center

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:00:00 -0700

Berkeley Multimedia, Graphics and Interfaces Seminar

SMIL/XML ...

Wednesday April 26, 2000 
1:10-2:30 p.m. PST
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall) 

Patrick Schmitz
Microsoft Bay Area Research Center 

Growing interest in SMIL underscores the importance of a common language to
describe timing and synchronization in documents. SMIL 1 defined syntax and
semantics for a basic multimedia language. This was an important first
step, but does not allow authors to use the timing semantics with other
languages, like HTML and CSS. Authors need to be able to describe timing
for wide range of documents, and to combine the semantics of timing and
sync with other existing tools and semantics that are in common use, such
as CSS.  In addition, they need the flexibility to accommodate different
editing/authoring scenarios and constraints.  

We need to provide a common model for timing so that authors are not forced
to learn and remember different models for different document types or
different authoring scenarios. In addition, where different syntactic
approaches are available (e.g. to address different authoring scenarios),
it is important to allow authors to combine the different approaches in a
straightforward manner. 

This talk will describe three approaches to the integration of timing and
synchronization with XML languages. I will describe the current work in
SMIL Boston to support the integration of SMIL with HTML/CSS, as well as
other applications and future work. I will also describe a proposed
framework for combining the approaches. 
---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a Real Networks
G2 broadcast.

You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:

http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/schedule.cfm 
You'll see a link to cs298-5/real networks/live programs.  

You can also directly put in this url into the Real Player: 
rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm

To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving the
announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually configuring
the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session addresses:

low bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.1/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

medium bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.129/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to replays
of previous seminars at the MIG Seminar web page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/298/index.html

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center