Subject: 4/12 CueVideo: Automated Multimedia Indexing and Retrieval -- Dulce Ponceleon and Savitha Srinivasan, IBM Almaden Research Center

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 10:30:00 -0700

Berkeley Multimedia, Graphics and Interfaces Seminar

CueVideo: Automated Multimedia Indexing and Retrieval

Wednesday April 12, 2000 
1:10-2:30 p.m. PDT
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall) 

Dulce Ponceleon and Savitha Srinivasan
IBM Almaden Research Center  

We are witnessing a proliferation of digital media: image, video, audio.
Indexing and preparation of such media for effective search and browse,
represents the key bottleneck towards wider usage of digital media for
variety of applications. The CueVideo project at the IBM Almaden Research
center focuses on developing fully automated means of indexing, hyper
linking and retrieval of audiovisual media material for effective searching
and browsing by users. The core components of the system include: video
analysis and segmentation, visualization and summarization techniques,
spoken document retrieval and cross-modal indexing of audio/video, related
slides and text material. 

Video segmentation is typically used as a first step towards automated
video content analysis. Shot-boundary detection and transitions/effects
detection constitute one of the technologies used to create our video
summaries: storyboard, variants of moving storyboard , and content-based
fast play. These video summaries are new videos of compact size, hence
suitable for download, low-bandwidth streaming environments and quick
browsing. The spoken document retrieval component is based on the use of a
large vocabulary speech
recognition on audio tracks extracted from a video. The transcribed text is
indexed to enable retrieval of relevant audio/video segments. We partition
the problem of spoken document indexing into two distinct levels: The first
is to arrive at a Yahoo or Alta Vista model for the video collection, where
the unit of retrieval is a single audio/video clip. The second is searching
function for audio, where the unit of retrieval is a segment within the
audio/video which best satisfies the user's query. 

Finally, the CueVideo project is specially interested in enabling
applications that enhance the learning experience in education and
training. Towards this end, CueVideo addresses automatic indexing of
instructional material, automatic summarization of audio/video, indexing of
discussed topics and off-line integration with minimal capture constraints. 
---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a Real Networks
G2 broadcast.

You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:

http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/schedule.cfm 
You'll see a link to cs298-5/real networks/live programs.  

You can also directly put in this url into the Real Player: 
rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm

To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving the
announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually configuring
the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session addresses:

low bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.1/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

medium bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.129/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to replays
of previous seminars at the MIG Seminar web page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/298/index.html

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center