Subject: We Have Answers for YOU

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 00:11:17

Are  you interested in refinancing your existing mortgage, Paying 
off bills, Consolidating debt, Doing home improvements, or 
Purchasing a big ticket item?

Are you interested in Purchasing a new home or are you a First 
time homebuyer? If so, we have ANSWERS for YOU even if you have 
poor credit.

For more information please reply:[email-masked]

------------------------------------------------------------
Under Bill s.1618 TITLE III passed by the 105th U.S. Congress 
this letter cannot be considered "spam" as long as we include: 1) 
contact information (see above); and, 2) the way to be removed 
from future mailings (see below). 

To be removed from this list, please mail to: 
[email-masked] with 'remove' in 
subject line and you will be removed from our list.
------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:51:19 -0700 (PDT)

> For more information please reply:[email-masked]

They are apparently using some spamming software that tosses in the
``signature'' at the bottom.  Anyway, they are lying about s.1618 and
I include the relevant portion (Section 301) below.  BTW, I am not
sure if this has become law.

Regards,
Steve

                S.1618

Anti-slamming Amendments Act (Passed by the Senate)

             TITLE III--SPAMMING

SEC. 301. REQUIREMENTS RELATING TO TRANSMISSIONS OF UNSOLICITED
COMMERCIAL ELECTRONIC MAIL.

       (a) INFORMATION TO BE INCLUDED IN TRANSMISSIONS-

              (1) IN GENERAL- A person who transmits an unsolicited
                  commercial electronic mail message shall cause to
                  appear in each such electronic mail message the
                  information specified in paragraph (2).

              (2) COVERED INFORMATION- The following information shall
                  appear at the beginning of the body of an unsolicited
                  commercial electronic mail message under paragraph (1):

                    (A) The name, physical address, electronic mail
                        address, and telephone number of the
                        person who initiates transmission of the
                        message.

                    (B) The name, physical address, electronic mail
                        address, and telephone number of the
                        person who created the content of the message,
                        if different from the information under
                        subparagraph (A).

                    (C) A statement that further transmissions of
                        unsolicited commercial electronic mail to the
                        recipient by the person who initiates
                        transmission of the message may be stopped at no
                        cost to the recipient by sending a reply to
                        the originating electronic mail address with the
                        word `remove' in the subject line.

       (b) ROUTING INFORMATION- All Internet routing information
           contained within or accompanying an electronic mail message
           described in subsection (a) must be accurate, valid
           according to the prevailing standards for Internet
           protocols, and accurately reflect message routing.

       (c) EFFECTIVE DATE- The requirements in this section shall take
           effect 30 days after the date of enactment of this Act.