Subject: Re: Echo Cancellers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 16:41:13 -0400

---------------------- Forwarded by Bruce Levens/Natural MicroSystems/US on
04/27/2000 04:46 PM ---------------------------

Bruce Levens
04/27/2000 04:40 PM

To:   Scott Keagy <[email-masked]>
cc:
Subject:  Re: Echo Cancellers  (Document link: Bruce Levens' Mail)

Or perhaps you are implying that the company is located on the west coast and
calls a gateway (via PSTN) in NY to reach its international offices, instead of
having a gateway on the west coast.

---

From: Scott Keagy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 23:51:25 -0700

I am indeed talking about a company with a single office in the U.S.,
which happens to be located on either the east or west coast. Consider
for example, an international company w/ offices in Amsterdam & New
York. The Amsterdam office wants to call Los Angeles. They call via
their private VoIP network to New York, then do tail-end hop-off via the
PSTN to Los Angeles. If there is a hybrid problem in Los Angeles (which
causes signal reflection back toward New York), then the New York router
doesn't have long enough echo-canceler coverage to filter out the echo.
The echo keeps propogating back to Amerstam, only the delay is much
larger now. Even a quiet echo is annoying if it comes 500 msec later.

-Scott

-- 
=======================================================
 Scott Keagy, CCIE #3985
 Senior Networking Consultant  
 SK Networks, Inc.         mailto:[email-masked]
=======================================================