Subject: IDMS 2000: Call for Participation

From: Clever Ricardo Guareis de Farias <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:09:01 +0200

[Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this Announcement]

         Announcement and Call for Participation

                        IDMS 2000

        7th International Workshop on Interactive
Distributed Multimedia Systems and Telecommunication Services

     CTIT/Univ. of Twente, Enschede, the Netherlands
                 October 17-20, 2000
           http://www.ctit.utwente.nl/Docs/news/idms_2000.htm

          In cooperation with ACM SIGCOMM and SIGMM
   Sponsored by KPN Research, Lucent Technologies and Philips

After past successful IDMS workshops held in Stuttgart, Hamburg,
Berlin, Darmstadt, Oslo, and Toulouse, the 7th IDMS workshop
--IDMS 2000-- will be held in Enschede, the Netherlands. We
cordially invite you to participate in this workshop.

The goal of the IDMS series of workshops is to bring together
researchers, developers, and practitioners from academia and
industry; and to provide a forum for discussion, presentation,
and exploration of technologies and advances in the broad field of
interactive distributed multimedia systems and telecommunication
services. Topics covered in IDMS workshops range from basic system
technologies such as networking and operating system support
to all kinds of teleservices and distributed multimedia
applications.

WORKSHOP HIGHLIGHTS

IDMS 2000 consists of a full day of tutorials, a three days
technical program, and demonstrations during the workshop.

The tutorial day offers three tutorials from leading researchers
and practioners:

T1:     "Scalability issues in CORBA-based systems"
        Steve Vinoski, IONA Technologies
T2:     "IP telephony"
        Ralf Steinmetz, Darmstadt Univ. of Technology and GMD IPSI
        Ralf Ackermann, Darmstadt Univ. of Technology
T3:     "Scalable multimedia servers"
        B. Prabhakaran, National Univ. of Singapore

The technical program is single-track, with three invited
presentations from top experts in their field, and seven paper
sessions.

Invited presentations:

P1:     "Energy-efficient hand-held multimedia systems"
        Gerard Smit, Univ. of Twente
P2:     "Short-range connectivity with Bluetooth"
      Jaap Haartsen, Ericsson
P3:     "On the failure of middleware to support multimedia
        applications"
        Gordon Blair, Univ. of Lancaster

Paper sessions:

S1:     Efficient audio/video coding and delivery
S2:     Multimedia conferencing, synchronization and multicast
S3:     Communication, control and telephony over IP networks
S4:     QoS models and architectures
S5:     Multimedia applications and user aspects
S6:     Design and implementation approaches
S7:     Mobile multimedia and ubiquitous computing systems

Details on the program are available at:
http://www.ctit.utwente.nl/Docs/news/idms_2000.htm

VENUE

The workshop will be held on the campus of the University of
Twente, Enschede, the Netherlands.

Enschede is a pleasant and relatively small city in the east
part of the Netherlands, close to the German border. Enschede's
convenient geographical location accounts for its
important role in the economy of the region.

The University of Twente is one of the three technical universities
and the only real campus university in the Netherlands. While the
landscape of Twente in general is renowned for its beauty, the
university campus is probably the loveliest 146 ha of the whole
region. The forested campus, embellished with modern architecture,
forms a unique environment for student life, sports and study.

Details on the venue, accommodation and travel information are
available at:
http://www.ctit.utwente.nl/Docs/news/idms_2000.htm

REGISTRATION

Registration should be done using the forms available at the
website:
http://www.ctit.utwente.nl/Docs/news/idms_2000.htm

Important dates for registration:
        On or before Sept. 15, 2000: Discount on registration fees
        After Sept. 15, 2000: Regular registration fees

We look forward to seeing you at IDMS 2000.