Subject: New congestion control text in RTP spec

From: Stephen Casner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 07:39:13 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

To the AVT working group:

I'd like to call your attention, for both those who are here at IETF
and those who are not, to the new sections on congestion control that
were added to the recent revisions of the RTP spec and profile drafts
as a result of the discussion at the last IETF:

    draft-ietf-avt-rtp-new-08.txt / .ps
    draft-ietf-avt-profile-new-09.txt / .ps

In the RTP spec, the congestion control discussion is in a new Section
10, with references in Sections 6 and 13.  It simply establishes the
requirement for congestion control in RTP, and defers definition of
any specific behaviors to profiles because they are context-specific.

In the profile, a new "Congestion" item was added in Section 2 using
the text that Mark Handley provided in response to my request at the
last IETF meeting.  Again, the requirements are described only in
general terms because specific algorithms have not been devised yet
for multicast congestion control.

---> Is this text in both documents appropriate and sufficient?

							-- Steve