Subject: USM 2000 Call for Participation

From: USM 2000 Organization Committee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:26:45 +0200 (MET DST)

[Please accept our apologies if you receive this mail more than once...]

USM 2000 - Announcement and Call for Participation

It is just another two months until the USM 2000 will take place here
in Munich. Therefore, we want to invite you to join us and participate
at the conference. The discounted, early bird registration rates are
valid until August 1st. You can save 50 Euro! So don't wait - register
today.

Below you find more detailed information on the conference and the
preliminary program. You also find all this information on our web
server. In particular, you will find the registration forms there.

WWW: http://usm2000.informatik.uni-muenchen.de/
Registration: http://usm2000.informatik.uni-muenchen.de/registration.shtml

We are looking forward to seeing you!

Best regards,

Claudia Linnhoff-Popien and Heinz-Gerd Hegering

------------------------------------------
Prof. Dr. Claudia Linnhoff-Popien     
Institut fuer Informatik
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet Muenchen
Oettingenstr. 67, D-80538 Muenchen    
 
Tel.: +49 (89) 2178 2149 (FAX: -2147) 
http://www.informatik.uni-muenchen.de 
mailto:[email-masked]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd IFIP/GI International Conference on Trends
towards a Universal Service Market

Munich, Germany
September 12-14, 2000

sponsored and supported by

International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP)
Gesellschaft für Informatik e.V. (GI)

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (LMU)
Leibniz-Rechenzentrum München (LRZ)
BWM AG
DG Bank
Siemens AG
Munich Network Management Team (MNM-Team)
Redwood Technologies Ltd.
Software-Offensive Bayern

General Information

USM 2000 is the third event in a series of international IFIP conferences
on Trends in Distributed Systems. It continues TreDS'96, held in Aachen,
Germany and TrEC'98 with special focus on Electronic Commerce in Hamburg,
Germany.

The technological progress in the internet and telecommunication domains
as well as deregulation efforts of the telecommunication markets currently
under way in many countries enable an integration of data and
telecommunication. Distributed platforms get adapted to the needs of
telecommunication networks. This leads to a global distributed system with
millions of objects, running on top of middleware platforms and
interacting with each other to provide services. USM 2000 brings together
researchers, service vendors and users in the field of universal service
markets. USM 2000 takes place in Munich, Germany, the city of the famous
Oktoberfest, which will start two days after the conference on September
16, 2000.

Topics

The USM 2000 considers services of a universal market in relation to
middleware, distributed applications and management. Areas of special
interest include:

Component Based Systems, Service Creation 
Service Market Models, Accounting and Customer Care 
Quality of Service for Distributed Applications 
Trading, Brokering and Information Management 
Management of Virtual Networks 
Service and Application Management 
Ubiquitous Services and Nomadic Computing 
Distributed and Mobile Objects 
Agent Technology for Integrated Management 
Advances in Middleware Architectures, e.g. CORBA, DCOM, Jini 
Telecommunication Architectures related to Distributed Systems 

USM 2000 Preliminary Program

Tuesday 12 September 2000

09.30 - 10.00 
      Welcome

      Claudia Linnhoff-Popien / Heinz-Gerd Hegering
      Conference Chairs

      Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Axel Schenzle
      Prorector Ludwig-Maximilians-University (LMU) Munich 

10.00 - 11.00 
      Invited Talk

      "Beyond the TINA lesson: distributed processing for integrated fixed
      and mobile communications"

        Dr Sebastiano Trigila
        Telecommunications Network Department at Fondazione Ugo Bordoni,
        Rome, Italy 

11.00 - 11.30 
      Coffee Break 

11.30 - 13.00 
      Session Electronic Auctions and Trading
      Chair: Lea Kutvonen, University of Helsinki, Finland

      "Market-Skilled Agents for Automating the Bandwidth Commerce"

        Monique Calisti, Boi Faltings, EPFL Lausanne, Switzerland
        Sandro Mazziotta, Swisscom AG, Bern, Switzerland 

      "Integrating Trading and Load Balancing for Efficient Management of
      Services in Distributed Systems"

        Dirk Thißen, RWTH Aachen, Germany
        Helmut Neukirchen, Medical University of Lübeck, Germany 

      "Mapping Enterprise Roles to CORBA Objects using Trader"

        Alistair Barros, Keith Duddy, Michael Lawley, Zoran Milosevic, 
        Kerry Raymond, Andrew Wood, DSTC, Brisbane, Australia 

13.00 - 14.30 
      Lunch Break 

14.30 - 16.00 
      Session Internet-Based Service Markets
      Chair: Winfried Lamersdorf, University of Hamburg, Germany

      "A Scheme for Component Based Service Deployment"

        Steve Rudkin, Alan Smith, BT Laboratories, United Kingdom

      "Performance Modeling of a Service Provisioning Design"

        Mohamed El-Darieby, Jerome Rolia, Carleton University, Ottawa, 
        Canada 

      "Correlation DialTone - Building Internet-Based Distributed Event
      Correlation Services"

        Gabriel Jakobson, Girish Pathak, GTE Laboratories, Waltham, USA 

16.00 - 16.30 
      Coffee Break 

16.30 - 18.00 
      Poster Session Mobile Agents and Applications
      Chair: Otto Spaniol, RWTH Aachen, Germany

      "Towards Context-Aware User Modeling"

        Michael Samulowitz, Siemens AG, München, Germany

      "Context notification in mobile environment to find the right person
      in time"

        Cora Burger, University of Stuttgart, Germany

      "Automated Adaption for Mobile Computing Based on Mobile Agents"

        Thomas Springer, Alexander Schill, University of Technology, 
        Dresden, Germany 

      "How to Efficiently Deploy Mobile Agents for an Integrated 
      Management"

        Steffen Lipperts, RWTH Aachen, Germany 

      "A Scalable Location Aware Service Platform for Mobile Applications
      based on Java RMI"

        Olaf Droegehorn, Kirti Singh-Kurbel, Markus Franz, Roland Sorge,
        Rita Winkler, Klaus David, IHP GmbH, Frankfurt (Oder), Germany 

Wednesday 13 September 2000

09.00 - 10.00 
      Invited Talk

      "Quality of Service and Service Provisioning on a Competitive
      Market"

        Prof Dr Lambert J.M. Nieuwenhuis
        KPN Research/University Twente, Netherlands 

10.00 - 10.30 
      Coffee Break 

10.30 - 12.00 
      Session Quality of Service
      Chair: Gerd Schürmann, GMD FOKUS, Berlin, Germany

      "Programming Internet Quality of Service"

        John Vicente, Intel Corporation, USA
        Michael Kounavis, Daniel Villela, Columbia University, USA
        Michah Lerner, AT&T Labs, USA
        Andrew Campbell, Columbia University, USA

      "Monitoring Quality of Service across Organizational Boundaries"

        Rainer Hauck, Helmut Reiser, University of Munich, Germany

      "Automated Allocation of Multiprovider Service Demands"

        Monique Calisti, Boi Faltings, EPFL Lausanne, Switzerland 

12.00 - 13.30 
      Lunch Break 

13.30 - 15.00 
      Session Mobile and Distributed Services
      Chair: Axel Küpper, RWTH Aachen, Germany

        "A Vehicular Software Architecture Enabling Dynamic Alterability
        of Services Sets"

          Volker Feil, Ulrich Gemkow, University of Stuttgart, Germany
          Matthias Stümpfle, DaimlerChrysler AG, Stuttgart, Germany 

        "JBSA: An Infrastructure for Seamless Mobile Systems Integration"

          Stefan Müller-Wilken, Winfried Lamersdorf, University of 
          Hamburg, Germany 

        "Mobtel - A Mobile Distributed Telemedical System for Application
        in the Neuropsychological Therapy"

          Hendrik Schulze, Klaus Irmscher, University of Leipzig, Germany 

15.00 - 15.30 
      Coffee Break 

15.30 - 17.00 
      Poster session Trends in Data- and Telecommunications
      Chair: Sebastian Abeck, University of Karlsruhe, Germany

      "Design-Aspects for the integration of CORBA-based Value Added
      Services and Intelligent Networks"

        Frank Imhoff, Marcos dos Santos Rocha, RWTH Aachen, Germany 

      "Experiences Building a Service Execution Node for Distributed IN
      Systems"

        Menelaos K. Perdikeas, Fotis G. Chatzipapadopoulos, Iakovos 
        S. Venieris, Nation Technical University of Athens, Greece

      "Leasing in a Market for Computing Capacity"
         Spyros Lalis, Alexandros Karipidis, University of Crete, Greece 

      "Virtual Malls for Web Commerce: Observations and Case Study"
        Anton Nijholt University of Twente, Netherlands 

      "A QoS Meta Model to Define a Generic Environment for QoS
      Management"
        Jérôme Daniel, Bruno Traverson, EDF Division R&D, Clamart, France
        Sylvie Vignes, ENST, Paris, France 

17.00 - 17.30 
      Break 

17.30 - 
      Social Event 

Thursday 14 September 2000

09.00 - 10.00 
      Invited Talk

      "The TAO of Patterns - Understanding Middleware and Component 
      Architectures"

      Michael Stal
      Siemens AG, München, Germany 

10.00 - 10.30 
      Coffee Break 

10.30 - 12.00 
      Session Middleware Architectures
      Chair: John Vicente, Intel Corporation, USA

      "Trade-offs in a Secure Jini Service Architecture"
        Peer Hasselmeyer, Roger Kehr, Marco Voß, University of Technology,
        Darmstadt, Germany 

      "Loadable Smart Proxies and Native-Code Shipping for CORBA"
         Rainer Koster, Thorsten Kramp, University of Kaiserslautern, 
         Germany 

      "A Middleware Architecture for Scalable, QoS-Aware and 
      Self-Organizing Global Services"

        Franz J. Hauck, Erich Meier, Ulrich Becker, Martin Geier, Uwe 
        Rastofer, Martin Steckermeier, University of Erlangen-Nürnberg,
        Germany 

12.00 - 13.30 
      Lunch Break 

13.30 - 15.00 
      Session Service Management
      Chair: Bernhard Neumair, DeTeSystem, Munich, Germany

      "Fuzzy Modeling of Cooperative Service Management"
         Pradeep Ray, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
         Seyed A. Shahrestani, University of Western Sydney, Australia 

      "Customer Service Management: An Information Model for Communication
      Services"
        Michael Langer, Michael Nerb, Leibniz Supercomputing Center, 
        Munich, Germany 

      "Specification of a Service Management Architecture to Run 
      Distributed and Networked Systems"
        Christian Mayerl, Zoltan Nochta, Markus Müller, Martin Schauer,
        Andreas Uremovic, Sebastian Abeck, University of Karlsruhe, Germany 

15.00 - 15.15 
      Conclusions