Subject: 9/13 Making Interactive Workspaces Real -- Armando Fox, Computer Science Department, Stanford University

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 09:21:20 -0700

Berkeley Multimedia, Graphics and Interfaces Seminar

Making Interactive Workspaces Real

Wednesday September 13, 2000, 
1:10-2:30 p.m. PDT
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall) 

Armando Fox 
Computer Science Department, Stanford University

The Stanford Interactive Workspaces project is developing the computing
foundations for bringing reality to ubiquitous computing. A diverse
collection of faculty and students from the areas of graphics,
human-computer interaction (HCI),networking,ubiquitous computing,and
databases, we are looking at new types of human/machine interaction
including multimodal input, heterogeneous device integration from
wall-sized displays to handheld information appliances, and the "invisible"
software infrastructure required to support them. In the same way that
today’s standard operating systems make it feasible to write
single-workstation software that uses multiple devices and networked
resources,we are constructing a higher level operating system for the world
of ubiquitous computing. We combine research on infrastructure (ways of
flexibly configuring and connecting devices, processes,and communication
links)with research on HCI (ways of interacting with heterogeneous changing
collections of devices with multiple modalities). I will describe our
progress on the software infrastructure, including applications running in
our deployed iRoom that do in fact integrate a variety of devices. 

---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a Real Networks
G2 broadcast.

You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:
http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/cs298-5

You can also directly put in this url into the Real Player: 
rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm

To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving the
announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually configuring
the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session addresses:

low bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.1/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

medium bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.129/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to replays
of previous seminars at the MIG Seminar web page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/298/index.html

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center