Subject: 10/4 Studying and Modeling Real Audio Traffic -- John Heidemann, USC Information Sciences Institute

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:30:00 -0700

Berkeley Multimedia, Graphics and Interfaces Seminar

Studying and Modeling Real Audio Traffic

Wednesday October 4, 2000, 
1:10-2:30 p.m. PDT
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall) 

John Heidemann 
USC Information Sciences Institute  

The delivery of multimedia content on the Internet is rapidly growing in
importance. While there have been extensive studies on the growth and
effects of Hyper Text Transfer Protocol (HTTP) traffic used on the Web,
little work has been performed in analyzing streaming multimedia traffic.
Based on traces from broadcast.com, we will present a study of Real Audio
traffic. We will describe the characteristics of typical real audio flows
and compare them to web traffic. In addition, we observed consistencies in
audio traffic packet sizes and data rate patterns that may be useful as a
tool for identifying audio data flows. Finally, we will present recent
analysis of real audio traffic and show how it has guided our approaches to
model this traffic in simulation. This is joint work with Art Mena and
Kun-chan Lan at USC.

---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a Real Networks
G2 broadcast.

You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:
http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/cs298-5

You can also directly put in this url into the Real Player: 
rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm

To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving the
announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually configuring
the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session addresses:

low bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.1/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

medium bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.129/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to replays
of previous seminars at the MIG Seminar web page:

http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/archive.cfm

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center