Subject: LCN 2000 (Tampa, Fl, Nov. 8-10) - call for participation

From: Peter Martini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 16:19:58 +0200

(Please, accept our apologies for multiple copies of this message.)

===========================================================================

*** PRELIMINARY PROGRAM AND CALL FOR PARTICIPATION ***
                          LCN 2000
   The 25th Annual IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks

                    November 8 - 10, 2000
             Embassy Suites USF, Tampa, Florida
                   http://www.ieeelcn.org

Sponsored by the IEEE Computer Society with support from GTE Data
Services,
Paradyne Corporation, and the University of South Florida College of
Engineering.  The IEEE LCN conference is the premier conference on
leading
edge and practical computer networking.  LCN 2000 will have three
tutorials,
two keynote addresses, three panels, and 105 papers (72 full and 33
short)
in six sessions and four tracks.  Full papers are 10 pages and 20
minutes
presentation, short papers are 2 pages and 10 minutes.  The preliminary
program is below.

CONFERENCE PRE-REGISTRATION: The conference fees include a copy of the
proceedings, four breaks, two luncheons, and the Thursday evening
dinner.
The pre-registration deadline is October 31, 2000.

          IEEE member Non-member Student
Conference    $495      $610      $300
Tutorial #1   $645      $745      $645
Tutorial #2   $350      $500      $350
Tutorial #3   $350      $500      $350

Online registration is at http://www.ieeelcn.org/lcn25registration.html.

Contact Ken Christensen at [email-masked] for additional
information.

HOTEL PRE-REGISTRATION: Hotel registration is through the USF Embassy
Suites
(rooms are $114 US per night).  See http://www.ieeelcn.org or call the
hotel
at 1 813-977-7066.  The hotel pre-registration deadline is October 15,
2000.

****************************************************************
Wednesday - November 8, 2000
****************************************************************
9:00 - 5:00: Tutorial #1: Security Topics and Techniques (Gary Kessler,
Champlain College)

9:00- 12:30: Tutorial #2: Virtual Private Networks (Dr. Tim Strayer, BBN

Technologies and Dr. Ruixi Yuan, GTE Internetworking)

12:30 - 1:30: Lunch

1:30: - 5:00: Tutorial #3: Managing Internet Quality of Service (QoS)
(Dr. Sanjay Jha, University of New South Wales)

****************************************************************
Thursday - November 9, 2000
****************************************************************
7:30 - 8:30: Registration

8:30 - 9:00: Opening and welcome session

9:00 - 10:00: Keynote address #1 - IPsec: How and Why (Dr. Stephen Kent,
BBN)

10:00 - 10:30: Best paper presentation
Anonymization Services for IP Multicast (full) C. Grosch

10:30 - 11:00: Coffee break

11:00 - 12:00: Panel #1 - Security (chair: Gary Kessler)

12:00 - 1:20: Lunch (sponsored by USF College of Engineering)

1:20 - 2:20: Panel #2 - Home access methods

2:20 - 2:40: Short break

2:40 - 4:00: Session #1 (Tracks A, B, C, and D)

>>> Track A - Wireless LANs
Transmission Power Control for Multiple Access Wireless Packet Networks
(full) J. Monks
A Novel Approach to ARQ Error Control Mechanisms for Wireless LANs
Communications (full) N. T. Almeida, S. A. Abrantes
Wireless Packet Scheduling with Signal-to-Noise Ratio Monitoring (full)
H. Aida, Y. Tamura, Y. Tobe, H. Tokuda
Comparison of TCP Reno and Vegas in Wireless Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
(short)
S. Xu, T. Saadawi, M. Lee
Adaptive Approaches to Enhance Throughput of IEEE 802.11 Wireless LAN
with
Different Channel Quality (short) S. Ci, H. Sharif

>>> Track B - Differentiated Services and QoS 1
Layered Network QoS Signalling - Motivation, Implementation &
Measurements
(full) J. Schmitt, M. Karsten, R. Steinmetz
Class-Based QoS Control Scheme by Flow Management in the Internet Router

(full) K. Minami, H. Tode, K. Murakami
An Analysis of Resource Scheduling with Prioritization for QoS in LANs
(full)
D. H. Summerville, L. Edmunds
Adaptive Bandwidth Reservation Mechanism Using Mobility Probability in
Mobile
Multimedia Computing Environment (full) C. H. Choi, M. I. Kim, T. J.
Kim,
S. J. Kim

>>> Track C - Network security 1
Techniques for Intrusion-Resistant Ad Hoc Routing Algorithms (TIARA)
(full)
R. Ramanujan, A. Ahamad, J. Bonney, R. Hagelstrom, K. Thurber
Network Security(Security in Large Networks) (full) M. Singh, S. Singh
IGMPv3-Based Method for Avoiding DoS Attacks in Multicast-Enabled
Networks
(short) A. F. Gomez-Skarmeta, A. L. M. Martinez, P. M. R. Martinez
Distributed
Weakness in Virtual Private Networks (short) S. Patton, D. Doss, W.
Yurcik

>>> Track D - Reliability and fault-tolerance
Algorithms for Minimal Cutsets Enumeration of Networks by Graph Search
and
Branch Addition (full) H. Suh, C. Chang
Provisioning Multilayer Restoration for Convergence (full) J. Kroculick,

C. Hood
Fault-Tolerant Ethernet Middleware for IP-Based Process Control Networks
(full)
S. Song, J. Huang, P. Kappler, R. Freimark, T. Kozlik
Simulative Reliability Analysis of SCI Ring-Based Topologies (full)
M. Sarwar, A. George, D. Collins

4:00 - 4:30: Cookie break

4:30 - 5:50: Session #2 (Tracks A, B, C, and D)

>>> Track A - Wireless LANs / Mobile IP
Mobile Stations Localization in a WLAN (full)
F. Peyrard, C. Soutou, J. J. Mercier
Handoff Support for Mobilty with IP over Bluetooth (full) S. Baatz, M.
Frank,
R. Göpffarth, D. Kassatkine, P. Martini , M. Schetelig, A. Vilavaara
A Portable Mobile IP Implementation (full) H. Haverinen, A. Kuikka,
T.Maattanen
Security of Routing Cache Updates in Cellular IP (short) S. Baatz, W.
Hansmann,
J. Tölle Location of Mobile Stations in a Wireless LAN (short)
E. Llusca, T. Val, C. Normand, J. Mercier

>>> Track B - Differentiated services and QoS 2
A Core-Stateless Buffer Management Mechanism for Differentiated Services

Internet (full) Y. T. Hou, D. Wu, Z.-L. Zhang, T. Chujo
Co-operation and Comparison of DiffServ and IntServ: Performance
Measurements
(full) J. Harju, P. Kivimaki An Optimal Bandwidth Allocation Scheme and
Real-
Time Performance Analysis for LTPB Network (full)
Z. Qiang, L. Zhiqiang, L. Qiao, X. Huagang
Programmable Resource Control in Global Active IP Networks (short)
H. Guo, T. Becker
On Integrating Differentiated Services and UMTS Networks(short)
J. Diederich, T. Lohmar, M. Zitterbart, R. Keller

>>> Track C - Network security 2
Multi-Dimensional Prefix Matching Using Line Search (full) M. Waldvogel
On Key Distribution In Secure Multicasting (full) K.-P. Wu, F. Lai,
C.-K. Tseng
Group Management Strategies for Secure Multicasting on Active Virtual
Private
Networks (full) C. Labonte, S. Srinivas
Open Source Versus Commercial Firewalls: Functional Comparison (short)
S. Patton, D. Doss, W. Yurcik
A Virtual Private Network Deployment Framework (short)
S. Patton, B. Smith, D. Doss, W. Yurcik

>>> Track D - Resource control
Efficient Congestion Avoidance Mechanism (full) A. Dracinschi, S. Fdida
Quality of Service using Traffic Engineering over MPLS: An Analysis
(full)
P. Bhaniramka, W. Sun, R. Jain
DSRED: A New Queue Management Scheme for Next Generation Networks (full)

B. Zheng, M. Atiquzzaman
Achieving Moderate Fairness for UDP Flows by Path-Status Classifcation
(full)
Y. Tobe, Y. Tamura, A. Molano, S. Ghosh, H. Tokuda

5:50 - 7:00: Social hour

7:00: Dinner

****************************************************************
Friday - November 10, 2000
****************************************************************

7:30 - 8:30: Registration

8:30 - 9:30: Keynote address #2 - The Care and Feeding of Network
Interfaces
(Denton Gentry, Sun Microsystems)

9:30 - 9:40: Short break

9:40 - 10:40: Panel #3 - Multicast

10:40 - 11:10: Coffee break

11:10 - 12:30: Session #3 (Tracks A, B, C, and D)

>>> Track A - Wireless / cellular networks
Indoor Location Technique for 2G and 3G Cellular/PCS Networks (full)
D.J. Shyy, B. Rohani
Real Time Multicast in Wireless Networks (full) A. Benslimane
DRiVE-ing to the Internet: Dynamic Radio for IP Services in Vehicular
Environments (full)
L. Xu, R. Tonjes, T. Paila, W. Hansmann, M. Frank, M. Albrecht
iNetwork - a GSM Compliant IP-Based Communication Platform (short)
C. W. Cheng, W. C. Liu, C. G. Chung
Optimization Paging Cost by Dynamic Cell Grouping in Mobile Network
(short)
G. Y. Lee, Y. Lee

>>> Track B - Differentiated services and QoS 3
Performance Measurements and Analysis of TCP Flows in a Differentiated
Services
WAN (full) J. Harju, Y. Koucheryavy, J. Laine, S. Saaristo, K. Kilkki,
J. Ruutu,
H. Waris, J. Forsten, J. Oinonen
Proportional Packet Loss Differentiation and Buffer Management for
Differentiated Services in the Internet (full)
M. Markaki, M. P. Saltouros, I. S. Venieris
End-to-end QoS Management for Delay-Sensative Scalable Multimedia
Streams over
DiffServ (full) M. Albrecht, M. Koster, P. Martini, M. Frank
Integrated Service Mappings on Differentiated Service PHB :Guaranteed
Service to
Expedited Forwarding (short) B. Budiardjo, B. Nazief, D. Hartanto
Intra-domain Bandwidth Management in Differentiated Services Network
(short)
S. Jha, M. Hassan, P. Nanda

>>> Track C - Video communications
Index Control and Bandwidth Distribution for Layered Video Stream
Transmission
on the Internet (full) C. Zhiyong, L. Zhang
Joint Synchronization between Live and Stored Media in Multicast
Communications
(full) Y. Ishibashi, S. Tasaka, I. Miyamoto
A Comparative Survey of Sychronization Algorithms for Continuous Media
in
Network Envirionments (full) Y. Ishibashi, S. Tasaka
An Adaptive Dynamic Congestion Control of Compressed Video Traffic over
ATM
Networks (short) G. Sisodia, L. Guan, S. De, M. Dowlatshahi
The Performance of Ethernet Under a Combined Data/Real-Time Traffic
(short)
M. A. Aboelaze, A. Elnagar

>>> Track D - Multicast 1
A New Paradigm for Multipoint-to-Multipoint Communication Using XTP
(full)
G. Ramasivan, J. W. Atwood
Multicast Routing Based on Ant-Algorithm For Delay-Bounded and
Load-Balancing
(full) L. Guoying, L. Zemin
Systematic Testing of Protocol Robustness: Case Studies on Mobile IP and
MARS
(full) S. Begum, M. Sharma, S. Gupta, A. Helmy
Optimal Placement of Multicast Nodes in All-Optical Networks (short)
M. Ali, J. Deogun

12:30 - 1:50: Lunch

1:50 - 3:10: Session #4 (Tracks A, B, C, and D)

>>> Track A - Wireless networks
Interesting Optimization Problems in the Planning of Microwave
Transmission
Networks (full) S. Puthenpura
Satellite over Satellite (SOS) Network: A Novel Concept of Hierarchical
Architecture and Routing in Satellite Network (full)
J. W. Lee, T. W. Kim, D. W. Kim
The Effect of GA Parameters on PCS Network Planning (full)
J. Li, Y. L. Guan, B. H. Soong
Auto-Configuration of Wireless Cell-site (short) S. Djoko, H. Lee, K.
Basu
Experiment with the Validation of WAP Systems (short) O. Kone, A. R.
Cavalli

>>> Track B - TCP and other protocols 1
TCP Tunnels: Avoiding Congestion Collapse (full)
B. P. Lee, R. K. Balan, L. Jacob, W. K. G. Seah, A. L. Ananda
The Performance of TCP over ATM on Lossy ADSL Networks (full)
G. Lu, R. Simmonds, X. Zhonge, B. Unger, C. Williamson
Analytical Modeling and Performance Evaluation of the HIPERLAN CAC Layer

Protocol for Real-Time Traffic (full) C. Coutras, P.-J. Wan, O. Frieder
Simple Reliable Multicast for Parallel Processing in Extended LANs
(short)
J. Mulik, Y. Shi, P. Conrad
TCP Performance of DMT-based ADSL System (short) X. He

>>> Track C - Network management
A Methodology for Performance Management of Networks (full)
A. B. Drago, A. S. Garcia, M. E. Monteiro
Switching Theory Approach to Alarm Correlation in Network Management
(full)
E. Aboelela, C. Douligeris
Comparisons of Different Approaches for Capacity Management in ATM
Networks
(full) S. O. Larsson
Open Network Platform for Multiprotocol Communication (short)
D. Jozic, T.Osmanlic, D. Huljenic, V. Sinkovic
Investigation of SNMP Impact on a Target Device (short) N. Matsushita

>>> Track D - Multicast 2
Tree-Based Reliable Multicast in Combined Fixed/Mobile IP Networks
(full)
W. Yoon, D. Lee, C. Yu
An Architecture for Seamless Access to Multicast Content (full) P.
Liefooghe
Multi-Cores Uni-Directional Shared Trees Multicast Routing Protocol
(short)
M. Yulu, C. Shiduan
Delay Analysis for Multicast Switch under Burst and Poisson Traffic
(short)
C. Khemapatapan, P. Prapinmongkolkarn, S. Theerawoot
Optical QoS in Multicast Wavelength-Routed Networks Part I
-PowerConsiderations
(short) M. Ali, J. Deogun

3:10 - 3:40: Cookie break

3:40 - 4:40: Session #5 (Tracks A, B, C, and D)

>>> Track A - Virtual networks
Performance Impact of Data Compression on Virtual Private Network
Transactions
(full) McGregor
Implementation of a Bandwidth Broker for Dynamic End-to-End Resource
Reservation
in Outsourced Virtual Private Networks (full) I. Khalil, T. Braun
Inter Bridge VLAN Registration Protocol for IP Subnet VLAN (short)
C. Kok, M. SalimBeg, N. Gehlot
Performance Evaluation of Software Virtual Private Networks (VPN)
(short)
C. Pena, J. Evans

>>> Track B - TCP and other protocols 2
TCP Models in Simple Cases (full) T. Elteto, P. Benko
TCP Performance over Heterogeneous Networks (full) M. Arpaci, H.
Uzunalioglu, J.
A. Copeland
Effects of Competing Traffic on the Performance of TCP/IP over
Asymmetric Links
(short) K. Phanse, L. A. DaSilva, K. Kidambi
On Some Metrics of TCP (short) A. Trinh, T. Eteto, L. Gyorfi

>>> Track C - Optical networks
Performance of Multihop Networks using Optical Buffering and Deflection
Routing
(full) A. G. Fayoumi, A. Jayasumana, J. Sauer
Practical Traffic Grooming Scheme for Single-Hub SONET/WDM Rings (full)
X.-Y. Li, L. Liu, P.-J. Wan, O. Frieder
A Route Design Algorithm for Multiple-Encoding Optical CDM Switching
Network
(full) H. Tode, Z. Tianwei, S. Nishi, K. Murakami

>>> Track D - Routing
A Qos Routing Algorithm Based on Ant Algorithm (full) Z. Subing, L.
Zemin
Hierarchial Qos Routing in Delay-Bandwidth Sensitive Networks (full)
K.-S. Lui, K. Nahrstedt, S. Chen
IP Route Lookups as String Matching (full) A. Donnelly, T. Deegan

4:40 - 4:50: Short break

4:50 - 5:50: Session #6 (Tracks A, B, C, and D)

>>> Track A - ATM
Delay Estimation and Control of Available Bit Rate (ABR) Sources (full)
P. Zhou, C. Thompson
Link-based Performance Monitoring of ATM Networks (full)
B. Thurm, H. R. Wiltfang
Measurement of ATM Frame Latency (full) A. Durresi, R. Jain, G. Babic
ATM Network Connection Management Using Mobile Agents (short)
S. Lazar, S. Kodeswaran, R. Varadharaj, D. Sidhu

>>> Track B - Load balancing and caching
A Distributed Internet Caching System (full) T. Tay, Y. Feng, M.
Wijeysundera
Load-Balanced Routing and Scheduling for Real-Time Traffic in
Packet-Switched
Networks (full) S. Bak, A. Cheng, J. Cobb, E. Leiss
Performance Evaluation of New Methods of Automatic Redirection for Load
Balancing of Apache Servers Distributed in the Internet (full)
K. Suryanarayanan, K. Christensen

>>> Track C - Traffic characterization
Generalized Autoregressive Moving Average Modeling of the Bellcore Data
(full)
R. Ramachandran, V. R. Bhethanabotla
High-Speed Calculation Method of the Hurst Parameter Based on Real
Traffic
(full) T. Hagiwara, H. Doi, H. Tode, H. Ikeda
The Dependence of Internet User Traffic Characteristics on Access Speed
(full)
N. Vicari, S. Köhler, J. Charzinski
Nonlinear Time Series Model for VBR Video Traffic (full)
J. L. Davis, K. Chandra, C. Thompson

>>> Track D - High-speed switching and routing
Scheduling Algorithms for A High-Speed Switch Supporting Real-Time
Periodic
Traffic Sources (full) J. Liu, L. Xia, R. Tsang, A. Pavan, D. H. C. Du
IP Forwarding Engine with VC Merging in MPLS System (full) S. Kang,
Y.-K. Lee
High-Speed IP Forwarding Mechanism for an MPOA-Based Switched Router
(short) J.
A. Jun, H. C. Kim, K.-H. Lee, D. K. Sung
A New Route Selection Approach Using Scaling Techniques: An Application
to
Hierarchical QoS-Based Routing (short)
M. P. Saltouros, M. E. Markaki, A. K. Taskaris, M. E. Theologou, and I.
S.
Venieris

*******************************************************************************

--
_____________________________________________________________________
Prof. Dr. Peter Martini

University of Bonn                     Tel.:   +49-228-73-4334
Institute of Computer Science IV       Fax:    +49-228-73-4571
Roemerstr. 164                         E-mail: [email-masked]
D-53117 Bonn, Germany                  http:   www.cs.uni-bonn.de/IV/