Subject: Announcing: An open-source library for RTP/RTCP streaming

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 03:21:53 -0700

[This is something that I've been promising people for a long time.  I'm 
pleased to report that I finally have it in a releasable state.  (Not 
perfect, but releasable..)]

The C++ source code that forms the basis of my "liveCaster" (& 
"playRTPMPEG") media streaming tools is now available as "open source" 
(released under the LGPL).  This code forms a set of libraries that can be 
used within RTP/RTCP streaming applications, and/or can be extended to 
support additional media types and codecs (in addition to MP3 audio).  For 
a description of these libraries, and instructions for how to install and 
build them, see <http://live.sourceforge.net/>.

You can use this code right now to build real applications - in fact, the 
distribution includes code for building two demo applications: (i) a server 
that reads a MP3 file and streams it (using RTP/RTCP), and (ii) a client 
that reads from the same RTP/RTCP stream, and outputs the resulting MP3 
stream to stdout.

These libraries can be built and run on Unix (various flavors) and 
Windows.  (However, the demo applications mentioned above don't yet compile 
on Windows.)

These libraries are similar to existing toolkits such as "Open Mash", 
although - for now, at least - not nearly as rich in functionality.  Also, 
they do not require the use of a specific scripting language - or any 
scripting language at all.  (However, the libraries can, and have, been 
used with scripting languages - e.g., "liveCaster" and "playRTPMPEG" were 
built using these libraries in combination with Tcl.)

Once again, the URL for this code is <http://live.sourceforge.net/>.

         Ross.