Subject: [AVT] One more doubt regarding Jitter Buffer

From: "Desai Sunil Kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:18:23 +0530

Hi All,
           I am doing RTP stack implementation, I am maintaing a Jitter
Buffer of static size of 900 bytes(around 100 ms). I am considering
G.711(PCM) encoding. So i am assuming default Payload size of 160
bytes(20ms). At the recieving end(RTP entity) i am storing packets one by one
in Jitter buffer, untill i collect data worth of 100 ms.
After that i am doing sequencing, Stripping of the header part from each
packet, collating the payloads in the Jitter buffer & giving the data to
upper layer.

             I want to know whether my undesrtanding & way of implementing
correct. Can anyone pl help me with this.

Thanks
Sunil Desai

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Scott Keagy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 18:47:10 -0700

This comment doesn't directly address your question, but if you are 
building this for a commercial implementation, I would consider using a 
jitter buffer of variable size. Develop an algorithm to increase/decrease 
the buffer depth based on variability of previous buffer depth samples

Rational: in low jitter environments, introduce little delay. In high 
jitter environments, have the capacity to scale up to a bigger jitter 
buffer to improve voice quality at the expense of added delay. 100ms may 
not be big enough in some environments (i.e. low speed WAN links with poor 
QoS implementations, or the current Internet).

Good luck!

-Scott