Subject: [AVT] can anyone provide a suggestion for a timestamp fix?

From: "RBH Multimedia, Inc." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:27:44 -0400

Hi,

       My name is David Haffner and I'm with RBH Multimedia in Dobbs Ferry,
NY.  This e-mail comes to you by virtue of the fact that you have all
published papers on the internet relating to the following query.  My
company has run into a problem surrounding the timestamp our Mpeg encoder
creates.  We are producing a program that is going to run from a pop server
playing three streams of Mpeg-2 simultaneously and in sync to three
seperate rear projection screens.  In order to do this, we need a way to
adjust the timestamp of our Mpeg-2 program streams so they all begin and
end with the same timestamp.  We have never run into this problem before
now because we have never been required to sync up program streams.  Do any
of you have a suggestion for an application that could solve this problem?
If not, can you suggest an alternate solution?  Do you know how much would
it cost?  Can you forward this e-mail to a colleague that might be of help?
Thank you for taking the time to read this e-mail, any help would be
greatly appreciated.  If you have any further questions about our problem,
feel free to contact me.  Thank you again.

-David Haffner
Video and Audio Editor
RBH Multimedia

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Kris Huber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:17:35 -0600

Hello David,

I know less about MPEG-2 than MPEG-4, but there is a tool called FlexTime in
MPEG-4 systems (ISO/IEC 14496-1), amendment 1, I think, that is intended to
satisfy the type of synchronization requirements you have.  At least it may
one line of inquiry that may be worth pursuing :).

Kris Huber

-----Original Message-----
From: RBH Multimedia, Inc. [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2001 4:28 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] can anyone provide a suggestion for a timestamp fix?

Hi,

-David Haffner
Video and Audio Editor
RBH Multimedia

---

From: "Michelle Y Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 19:21:58 -0400

Hi, it seems like you might have an application for the FlexTime amendment
of MPEG-4 Systems. It allows temporal synchronization of multiple streams
coming from multiple sources. It uses temporal relationships such as
"cobegin," "coend", and "meet" among portions of streams using the idea
that they can be *stretched* or *shrunk* if needed.   I've proposed the
technology to MPEG and I've also served as the Editor of the amendment.

But I'll need to know more about your application to see if the FlexTime
can indeed help your situation. I'm in Sydney this week attending the 57th
MPEG meeting. I'll be happy to meet with you as I return to NY. Let me know
how you'd like to proceed.

  Regards,
  Michelle

  Dr. Michelle Y. Kim, IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
  Manager, Composite Media Technologies Group
  [email-masked] (e-mail)
  (914) 784-7709 (voice)
  (914) 784-7455 (fax)

Lisa Amini
07/16/2001 01:10 PM

To:   <[email-masked]>
cc:
From: Lisa Amini/Watson/IBM@ibmus
Subject:  RE: [AVT] can anyone provide a suggestion for a timestamp fix?

fyi
---------------------- Forwarded by Lisa Amini/Watson/IBM on 07/16/2001
12:43 PM ---------------------------

Kris Huber <[email-masked]>@ietf.org on 07/16/2001 12:17:35 PM

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   "'RBH Multimedia, Inc.'" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
      [email-masked], [email-masked],
      [email-masked]
cc:   [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
      [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject:  RE: [AVT] can anyone provide a suggestion for a timestamp fix?

Hello David,

I know less about MPEG-2 than MPEG-4, but there is a tool called FlexTime
in
MPEG-4 systems (ISO/IEC 14496-1), amendment 1, I think, that is intended to
satisfy the type of synchronization requirements you have.  At least it may
one line of inquiry that may be worth pursuing :).

Kris Huber

-----Original Message-----
From: RBH Multimedia, Inc. [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2001 4:28 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];

Hi,

-David Haffner
Video and Audio Editor
RBH Multimedia

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:18:26 +0200

David, Kris,

I don't think FlexTime is the obvious solution here. Tools for streaming
MPEG-2 video should do a perfect job as long as sufficient measures are
taken to compensate for jitter.

Regards,

Jan van der Meer

> From: Kris Huber [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 2001 jul 16 18:18
> To: 'RBH Multimedia, Inc.'; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]