Subject: [AVT] LIPE

From: "Daniel Feldman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:01:20 +0200

Anyone knows what's LIPE status?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Daniel Feldman
System Engineer, IC4IC Ltd.
office: +972(4)959-4644 ext. 121
mobile: +972(55)990-299
fax:    +972(4)959-4944
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:00:50 -0400

>Anyone knows what's LIPE status?

From the minutes of the Pittsburgh AVT meeting:

	"Mooi Chuah presented a Light Weight IP Encapsulation (LIPE) Scheme
	(draft-chuah-avt-lipe-01.txt).  This is another multiplexing
	proposal aimed at reducing the bandwidth used and processing load
	(compared with the header compression/tunneling in the TCRTP
	framework) at the expense of reduced functionality.  Although
	presented as a means of transporting voice frames, this work is
	actually a general purpose layer 2 multiplex based on a new
	transport protocol as an alternative to RTP.  This is outside the
	scope of the AVT working group charter, so it would require a new
	charter or new working group.  There was a comment that introducing
	a new transport protocol, with a new IP protocol number, is a step
	that must considered carefully."

The last update to the draft appears to have been in December 2000.
Colin