Subject: [AVT] RTP payload format for the VP3 video codec?

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 21:00:26 -0800

The "VP3" video codec has been mentioned quite a bit lately (e.g., 
<http://www.intel.com/home/howto/video.htm>, <http://www.vp3.com/>, 
<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/12/06/1528202&mode=nested>).

Is anyone out there working on defining a RTP payload format for this codec?

	Ross.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 09:14:02 -0500

>Is anyone out there working on defining a RTP payload format for this codec?

I'm not aware of any work, but it would be useful to start some.

Colin

---

From: "Adam Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 10:17:43 -0800

Hi,

The "VP3" is a version of proprietary codecs from a company called "ON2".
Here is their website http://www.on2.com. They are also selling "VP4" codec,
which is the commercial version of their codec. And there are other versions
mentioned on the website such as "VP3.2", etc.

Is it necessary to define an RTP payload format for each version of
proprietary codecs? There is no standard defining the codec, and not even a
specification document published on the format.

Hope these information and thoughts can help.

Adam

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Colin
> Perkins
> Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 6:14 AM
> To: Ross Finlayson
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [AVT] RTP payload format for the VP3 video codec?
>
>

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 10:39:31 -0800

At 10:17 AM 12/7/01, Adam Li wrote:
>There is no standard defining the codec, and not even a

According to <http://www.vp3.com/>, an Open Source implementation of the 
VP3.2 codec is available.  Presumably there's enough information there to 
enable someone to design a good RTP payload format for this codec, at least.

As you noted, "VP4" (an apparent improvement from VP3) is closed-source and 
proprietary to "On2 Technologies", so I don't know whether or not the same 
payload format could be used for both codecs.

If anyone from On2 Technologies is on this mailing list, perhaps they could 
say something about their plans (if any) for RTP support for their codecs?

         Ross.