Subject: [AVT] agenda item

From: Ken Carlberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 10:53:45 +0000

Draft Title:  The Classifier Extension Header for RTP

Status:  new individual draft

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-carlberg-rtp-classifier-extens
ion-00.txt

The objective of the draft is to define an extension for the RTP
header so that an additional classification or labeling can be
added to RTP payloads.  As an example, in this version -00, several 
values are defined for the proposed Classifier field that allows one 
to denote whether this RTP flow is labeled as an emergency or not.  

As a side note, a soon-to-be version -01 will define an additional range 
of values that are reserved for private use.  These values can be treated 
as private opaque hints exchanged on an end-to-end basis.

Its IMPORTANT to note that criteria for inserting the values in the
classifier header, and any QoS treatment of the packet based on those
values, is outside the scope of the proposed extension.  In other words,
this proposed extension just provides a place holder for additional 
labels.  It does not specify any policy or actions taken on those labels.

Issues: 

  1) If one is adding an additional level of distinction, security MAY
     be an issue IF different (preferential?) treatment is placed on 
     the classified RTP flow.  To address this issue if it arises, it 
     is recomended that S-RTP be used.
  2) The potential exists for RTP header compression to be adversely
     affected because the extension expands the RTP header beyond the
     fixed header size.

Request:  If there are no unforseen issues, there is a desire to have
this draft proposal become a working group item.

-ken

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt