Subject: [AVT] road-worthy cabling options [was "What a shame ..."]

From: John Lazzaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:16:49 -0800

> Jason Flaks writes
>
> In the end, it will be a miracle if
> they ever find an Ethernet cable that can handle the abuse of the road
> anyway, 

Adrian Freed presented some interesting work a few years ago
at AES, using the traditional physical layer of pro audio --
coax and triax -- for bidirectional digital audio:

http://cnmat.CNMAT.Berkeley.EDU/AES99/docs/wTriaxAE.html

The focus here is AES/EBU encodings, but the same techniques could
probably be applied to Ethernet frames ...

							--john lazzaro

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Lazzaro -- Research Specialist -- CS Division -- EECS -- UC Berkeley
lazzaro [at] cs [dot] berkeley [dot] edu     www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt