Subject: Re: [AVT] What a shame these guys seem to have never heard of RTP

From: "Flaks, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 10:24:35 -0800

Hello,

Interestingly enough I worked on the original specification for MAGIC
(www.gibsonmagic.com) which was then called GMICS (about 2 years ago).  At
the time of development we were unaware of RTP as an option.  There were
applications out there for professional audio over IP, but the latency
involved was far high for live performance.  MAGIC really just uses the
Ethernet physical layer.  Packets are sent at the sample rate, and network
induced jitter is resolved with a PLL.   In the end, it will be a miracle if
they ever find an Ethernet cable that can handle the abuse of the road
anyway, but perhaps an implementation of live audio using RTP/UDP/IP over
1394 or USB would be interesting.

-Jason Flaks
Dolby Labs

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt