Subject: [AVT] dynamic payload

From: "sharad saxena" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:02:54 -0800

hi all

  I am a newbie in rtp and while going through the documents(rfcs), I have come across abt dynamic payload type. Can any one tell me what is the advantage of having dynamic payload type and brief explaination abt how to use it will be very helpful.

regs
saxena 

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Stephen Casner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 13:23:39 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, sharad saxena wrote:

>   I am a newbie in rtp and while going through the documents(rfcs),
>   I have come across abt dynamic payload type. Can any one tell me
>   what is the advantage of having dynamic payload type and brief
>   explaination abt how to use it will be very helpful.

I believe the motivation for using dynamic paylod types is clearly
explained in

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-profile-new-12.txt

How to define dynamic payload types using the rtpmap attribute in SDP
is explained in RFC2327.
							-- Steve

---

From: Kim Le <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jan 2002 23:30:11 +0200

Dynamic payload is for any non standard data, but both sender and
reciever must agree on a number.

Out of band DTMF is sent over a dynamic payload type 101 or something
like that.

-Kim

On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 10:02, sharad saxena wrote:
> rtp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.vovida.org/mailman/listinfo/rtp

---

From: Stephen Casner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:04:08 -0800 (PST)

> reciever must agree on a number.

The phrase "non standard data" may be misleading.  All new payload
formats, including those which become standards, must use dynamic
payload types because static payload type numbers are no longer being
assigned.

> Out of band DTMF is sent over a dynamic payload type 101 or something

When DTMF signals are sent (in band) over RTP using RFC 2833, a
dynamic paylod type will be used, but the chosen number is dynamic, it
is not always 101 or any other fixed number.  That is, I should say,
in a proper implementation.
							-- Steve