Subject: [AVT] The new MWPP I-D ...

From: John Lazzaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 18:54:13 -0700

Hi everyone,

	draft-ietf-avt-mwpp-midi-rtp-04.txt is ready for download:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/pubs/txt/current-mwpp.txt

	A long Change Log starts -04.txt, a few highlights:

 [1] We've had good success getting input from MIDI experts on
     the "bits-on-the-wire" issues of MWPP's RTP packetization.
     The packetization format is stabilizing, as the small
     number of packetization-related changes in -04.txt shows.

     At this point, the document needs the same sort of MIDI
     expert opinion on the SDP side of MWPP. However, 03.txt's SDP
     text is not welcoming to an SDP newcomer. So much IETF context is
     needed: SDP/SIP/SIP-offer-answer/SIP-NAT-hacks/RTSP all link to
     RTP in subtle ways.

     So, the big focus on -04.txt is editorial in nature, a rewrite
     to de-mystify SDP and its protocol neighborhood. In -04.txt:

       o  A new intro that describes RTP's connection to SDP & friends.

       o  The SDP parameter definitions now live in Appendices C.1-5.

       o  Only one SDP section in the main text (Section 6), that
          explains how to set up "minimal" stream descriptions,
          and introduces SDP Appendices as enhancements to the minimal.

 [2] Significant redesign and enhancement of SDP features, including:

       o  An extensible way to specify the method of rendering MIDI 
          to audio.

       o  Via the new config="" mpeg4-generic feature, -04.txt supports
          a flexible transport method for AudioSpecificConfig() data.

       o  Rationalization of mwpp and mpeg4-generic MWPP modes -- the
          rtpmap line structure is now identical, and the two media
          types share most SDP parameters.

       o  General support for multiple MWPP streams, w/ sync features.

I won't be making the trip to Japan, but hope to prepare a few slides
to update the MWPP plan going forward for the AVT session.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Lazzaro -- Research Specialist -- CS Division -- EECS -- UC Berkeley
lazzaro [at] cs [dot] berkeley [dot] edu     www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt