Subject: [AVT] File format for EVRC/SMV vocoder

From: "Adam Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 12:13:02 -0800

Hi folks,

One issue just recently been raised about the file format for EVRC and
SMV data, which is specified the MIME registration for them. We very
much would like to hear your ideas and comments on this issue. 

As you may have known, we are working the IETF specification on the RTP
Payload Format for EVRC/SMV. It specifies how the EVRC/SMV payload is
carried in RTP sessions, and it also registered the MIME format for the
EVRC and SMV vocoders. The draft (draft-ietf-avt-evrc-smv) is currently
at the final editing stage at the IETF FRC Editor's queue.

There has been a file format defined in the draft-ietf-avt-evrc-smv at
the MIME registration for EVRC/SMV. The file format specified there
hasn't been changed much since the first version of the draft in 2000.

There is a new Internet Draft, draft-garudadri-qcp-00.txt, specifies a
different way of storage using the QCP file format, which has been used
for QCEPL-13K and EVRC by some applications.

Currently, it has been proposed to remove the file format specification
in the draft-ietf-avt-evrc-smv, and to expand the draft-garudadri-qcp to
be the only formal specification for the file format for EVRC/SMV. On
the other hand, there are also suggestions to keep the file format at it
is specified in the draft-ietf-avt-evrc-smv.

We would like to hear your suggestions, and hear from you how you think
would be the best way to proceed. Your comments are very much
appreciated.

Adam

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Mark Baugher <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 04:46:05 -0800

Adam
   I have a question:  Why take a file format specification through the IETF?

Best regards, Mark

---

From: Harinath Garudadri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 09:57:36 -0800

>   I have a question:  Why take a file format specification through the IETF?

Hi Mark,
did you mean AVT above? We were not sure if draft-garudadri-qcp-00.txt 
should go in to AVT or as an independent submission. I do not think this 
has been resolved yet.

If you meant IETF, our motivation was if a multimedia object (message?) was 
delivered over some mechanism other than RTP/UDP, (e.g. http, ftp, etc.) 
the receiver should be able to render the multimedia content appropriately. 
One example is if you create a voice attachment in Eudora email client, it 
is stored as a qcp file described in draft-garudadri-qcp-00.txt. If you 
send this email to someone who uses a different email client, that person 
could play the attachment in the QuickTime player, as QuickTime supports 
the above format.

Thanks,
hari.

>>would be the best way to proceed. Your comments are very much

Dr. Hari Garudadri
phone : 858-651-6383
mobile : 858-229-2801
pager  : 858-653-0963 or [email-masked]

---

From: Mark Baugher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:25:00 -0800

Hari,

At 09:57 AM 3/7/2003 -0800, Harinath Garudadri wrote:
>did you mean AVT above?

No, I meant the IETF.  I asked the question because I don't think of the 
IETF as having a lot of file-format expertise so it's not the obvious place 
to develop file-format technology.

>We were not sure if draft-garudadri-qcp-00.txt should go in to AVT or as 
>an independent submission. I do not think this has been resolved yet.
>
>If you meant IETF, our motivation was if a multimedia object (message?) 
>was delivered over some mechanism other than RTP/UDP, (e.g. http, ftp, 
>etc.) the receiver should be able to render the multimedia content 
>appropriately. One example is if you create a voice attachment in Eudora 
>email client, it is stored as a qcp file described in 
>draft-garudadri-qcp-00.txt. If you send this email to someone who uses a 
>different email client, that person could play the attachment in the 
>QuickTime player, as QuickTime supports the above format.

Is it related to MP4, then?

Best Regards, Mark