Subject: [AVT] Protocol Action: RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time Applications to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 17:18:29 -0500

The IESG has approved the following Internet-Drafts as Draft
Standards:

  o RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time Applications
    <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-new-12.txt>, obsoleting RFC1889, currently a
    Proposed Standard.

  o RTP Profile for Audio and Video Conferences with Minimal Control
    <draft-ietf-avt-profile-new-13.txt> obsoleting RFC1890, currently
    a Proposed Standard.

These documents are the products of the Audio/Video Transport Working
Group. The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Scott Bradner.
   
Technical Summary
   
    The first document defines RTP, consisting of two closely-linked 
    parts:

    o the real-time transport protocol (RTP), to carry data that has
            real-time properties.

    o the RTP control protocol (RTCP), to monitor the quality of
            service and to convey information about the participants in 
  		an on-going session.
       
    A well-exercised capability for DES encryption of RTP and RTCP
    packets is part of the document, along with extensive
    considerations on use of the feature. A new profile of RTP
    called Secure RTP (SRTP) is under way that will provide encryption
    with AES since DES is not considered strong, and provide much
    better security support. However it was deemed that RTP and
    RTCP should be advanced to Draft Standard with their currently
    deployed security feature rather than waiting for the future
    standardization of SRTP (and its eligibility for Draft), because
    the practical use of DES-encrypted media with RTP has been
    extensive.

    This document obsoletes RFC 1889.
    
    The second document defines aspects of RTP that complete a 
    profile for the use within audio and video conferences with 
    minimal session control. In particular, no support for the 
    negotiation of parameters or membership control is provided. The 
    profile is useful in sessions where no negotiation or membership 
    control are used (e.g., using the static payload types and the 
    membership indications provided by RTCP), but this profile is also 
    useful in conjunction with a higher-level control protocol, and it 
    is invoked by uses of media managed by Session Description Protocol
    (RFC2327) as well in frequent practice. 
     
    This document obsoletes RFC 1890.

Working Group Summary
   
       The AVT Working Group conducted careful review of the two
       documents and their clarification. There was a strong effort 
       to ensure the implementation test plan and report had extensive 
       review as well. The differences from the Proposed Standard to 
       the Draft Standards are minor, are well-documented in sections 
       of the two documents, and do not result in any on-the-wire 
       changes to the protocols.

       There was strong working group support for the advancement
       to Draft Standard.
           
Protocol Quality
   
       RTP and RTCP have been in use on the Internet for many years.
       As the implementation report shows, there are two independent 
       open source implementations that are very full, as well as many 
       commercial ones. RTP and RTCP and their payloads are used in 
       numerous applications, in conjunction with other established 
       protocols, such as Session Initiation Protocol in telephony 
       applications. The documents were reviewed for the IESG by 
       Allison Mankin.
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt