Subject: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-uxp-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 09:54:44 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: An RTP Payload Format for Erasure-Resilient 
			  Transmission of Progressive Multimedia Streams
	Author(s)	: G. Liebl et. al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-uxp-05.txt
	Pages		: 25
	Date		: 2003-3-6
	
This document specifies an efficient way to ensure erasure-
resilient transmission of progressively encoded multimedia
sources via RTP using Reed-Solomon (RS) codes together with
interleaving. The level of erasure protection can be explicitly
adapted to the importance of the respective parts in the source
stream, thus allowing a graceful degradation of application
quality with increasing packet loss rate on the network. Hence,
this type of unequal erasure protection (UXP) schemes is intended
to cope with the rapidly varying channel conditions on wireless
access links to the Internet backbone. Nevertheless, backward
compatibility to currently standardized non-progressive
multimedia codecs is ensured, since equal erasure protection
(EXP) represents a subset of generic UXP. By applying
interleaving and RS codes a  payload format is defined, which can
be easily integrated into the existing framework for RTP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-uxp-05.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-avt-uxp-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-uxp-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.