Subject: [AVT] Firewire for real-time video

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 18:12:26 -0400

Does anybody have experience with using FireWire for real-time video, 
e.g., to feed video into vic on Windows from a digital video camera?

Thanks.

Henning

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Greg Herlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:04:08 -0700 (PDT)

> e.g., to feed video into vic on Windows from a digital video camera?

I looked at this last year and found that Firewire-capable
cameras that could be controlled (ie, focus.aperture, etc) were
*really* expensive (multiple thousands of dollars) and that the
average consumer DV cam could not support anything other than
playback features.  If that has changed, I'd like to know about
it too!

There are several libraries on the linux side for pulling
Firewire streams right off the camera in playback mode... there
must be some for Win32.

To ask a related question, does anyone know if there is a tape
drive for miniDV tapes that can be used directly in a PC (ideally
PCI bus or USB interface?).  Once a tape is created, it's crazy
to have to use the camera to play it so it can be ripped onto
spinning storage.  

Greg

---

From: Katsushi Kobayashi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:29:49 +0900

See:

http://www.sfc.wide.ad.jp/DVTS/

If you can accept Japanese page,

http://www.fatware.co.jp/