Subject: [AVT] parameter registration with IANA

From: Qiaobing Xie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:21:40 -0500

Hi,

I wonder whether all the media parameters defined in an AVT RFC are
registered with IANA or just some of them. 

For instance, in RFC3267 (AMR and AMR-WB formats), there are quite a few
parameters defined in section 8 (e.g., octet-align, mode-set, ...), but
I only see one of them (maxptime) defined at the IANA page
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/sdp-parameters>. Am I looking at the
wrong page? I'd appreciate it if some one could explain how this IANA
thing works here to me.

thanks,
-Qiaobing
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:03:21 -0400

>wrong page? I'd appreciate it if some one could explain how this IANA

It's a little confusing, certainly. The parameters from RFC 3267 that are
on the IANA page are SDP attributes (e.g. a=maxptime:). The parameters that
go under a=fmtp: are not listed (they should be included with the MIME type
registration for "audio/amr", which is currently just references the RFC).

Colin

---

From: Qiaobing Xie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 17:30:42 -0500

> ... The parameters that

Colin,

So, this means that IANA will not collectively manage any format
specific parameters.

Thanks and regards,
-Qiaobing

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:33:09 -0400

>So, this means that IANA will not collectively manage any format

They're specific to the payload format, and are registered as part of the
MIME registration for the payload format. There is no need for collective
management.

Colin