Subject: [AVT] IRTF p2prg ...

From: John Lazzaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 18:32:28 -0700

Hi everyone,

	The IRTF Peer-to-Peer Research Group was announced a few
days ago:

	http://www.irtf.org/charters/p2prg.html

From the charter:

  To this end, the research group also emphasizes the following 
  near-term goals: [...] exploring interfaces to IETF protocols
  to realize the models; and offering input to the IETF as a starting
  place for possible groups standardizing new protocols that are useful
  in building P2P applications. 

	From the perspective of RTP, one way to look at this charter
is that RTP knows the abstract model it prefers for a population of
hosts -- a multicast group -- and so if a goal is to interface P2P to
RTP, p2prg should offer a multicast abstraction of some flavor.

	However, one could imagine other ways to look at this charter
with respect to RTP that are quite different ...

	In any event, the odds of an outcome useful to AVT go up if we
communicate with them early in their process, so I thought I'd post to
point interested folks in their direction ... I'm monitoring the group
(nothing much has happened yet), but I really don't have the routing
experience to be an active participant in it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Lazzaro -- Research Specialist -- CS Division -- EECS -- UC Berkeley
lazzaro [at] cs [dot] berkeley [dot] edu     www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt