Subject: [AVT] On draft-hellstrom-avt-rfc2793bis-00.txt

From: "Paul E. Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 03:07:46 -0400

Folks,

I wanted to call your attention to draft-hellstrom-avt-rfc2793bis-00.txt,
which was just made available as an Internet Draft.

There are a number of enhancements, primarily focused on allowing text and
audio transmitted between two trunking gateways to be switched via a payload
type.  Other minor modifications were made, including the recommendation of
using 3 levels of redundancy to reduce the probability of losing any
transmitted
text and language to improve how packets get (re)transmitted.  The document
also proposes the registration of an audio/t140 MIME type for the benefit of
GWs that will be transmitting received audio and text to another device over
IP.

I would like to see this accepted as a work item for the AVT working group.
ITU-T SG16 is working to produce a standard for transport of PSTN textphone
signals over an IP network between two trunking gateways.  This work will be
vitally important for the completion of that standard, which they hope to
approve in January 2004.  (Yes, it's an aggressive schedule.)

Already, I've received a comment suggesting that fmtp should be used to
allow a device to specify a "character per second" transmission rate.  I'll
revise the next revision accordingly, but I'd certainly like to hear any
other comments on this draft.

Thanks!
Paul

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt