Subject: [AVT] Moving draft-hellstrom-avt-rfc2793bis-02.txt forward

From: "Paul E. Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:25:19 -0500

AVT,

As you know, the ITU-T is working to produce a new Recommendation dubbed
V.ToIP, which they hope to approve in January 2004.  As part of that effort,
revisions have been made to RFC 2793.  The current draft has captured (as
far as I know) all of the comments, except one: there is a request to move
the text/red MIME registration out of this draft and into a separate
document.  We do want to do that, but we just didn't have time before the
IETF meeting document submission deadline.  However, we'll tackle that in
the coming weeks.

What I'd like to do now is seek approval from the group to make this
document an active work AVT work item.  The document does not differ
substantially from the previously published RFC 2793, though it offer a
means of interleaving audio and text over a single RTP session.  This is
there primarily to allow to PSTN gateways to transmit text and audio
received on a DS0 across an IP network for reproduction back onto the PSTN
on the other side.  The previous text required the use of a separate RTP
session for text, as the text and audio were truly sourced independently.

At any rate, I think Mr. Hellstrom might be attending the IETF meeting,
though I will not be able to attend.  Regardless, I'd like to see this work
move forward with a goal of approving this before the January meeting of
ITU-T SG16.  I'm not so positive that the ITU will actually be able to close
on the V.ToIP work by January and I'll have a much better feeling about this
after the next interim meeting in December.  I can report the results of
that meeting to the group, if desired, as it will impact the urgency of this
work.

For now, I'd like it to be treated with some urgency.  At the very least,
let's make this a working group item and perhaps have some discussion at the
next meeting.

Thanks!
Paul

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt