Subject: [AVT] TCP framing update

From: John Lazzaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:32:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

	Just submitted an updated version of the TCP framing
I-D (draft-lazzaro-avt-rtp-framing-contrans-02.txt) to
[email-masked], you can pick it up at:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/pubs/txt/current-contrans.txt

	Only the name and date have been updated -- the memo had been
awaiting re-chartering, and was about to expire.  The re-chartering
text of interest is:

> - to provide a framing mechanism for RTP over TCP and TLS

	The draft-lazzaro-avt-rtp-framing-contrans-02.txt draft is
driven from two requirements, which were culled from earlier
discussions on [email-masked], and from the discussion in San
Francisco in the spring:

  -1-  Compatibility with the TCP framing format in earlier
       versions of the RTP RFCs.

  -2-  Compatibility with draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-comedia-05.txt

	It would be good to get feedback on whether the document falls
short on either requirement.

	My take on the San Francisco discussions is that there is a
need for a protocol that meets these requirements, to support existing
codebases.  Based on that assessment, I'd like to request WG Item
status for draft-lazzaro-avt-rtp-framing-contrans-02.txt.

	However, there was also sentiment in San Francisco that a
non-backward-compatible format, that supported multiplexing of
multiple RTP/RTCP pairs on a single socket with framing markers, would
be a complementary protocol to the legacy protocol.  So, making
draft-lazzaro-avt-rtp-framing-contrans-02.txt a WG Item wouldn't
preclude such a complementary protocol effort, I would think, if
someone (else, I'm overbooked) wanted to take on its design.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Lazzaro -- Research Specialist -- CS Division -- EECS -- UC Berkeley
lazzaro [at] cs [dot] berkeley [dot] edu     www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt