Subject: [AVT] draft-basso-avt-videoconreq-00: What really is used?

From: "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:45:09 -0400

Looking through the codec commands, I am struck by a nagging question: How much of this do people really use?

VideoFastUpdatePicture clearly gets used.  However, does anyone really USE the quality trade-off commands (e.g., RateRequest, Temporal/Spatial)?  I understand the use cases, I just wonder if it gets used.

Likewise, does anyone EVER use VideoFastUpdateGOB?  Again, I understand the use case, but in reality, most decoders, when they sense a messed up picture, will issue a VideoFastUpdatePicture request.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Nermeen Ismail <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:35:45 -0700

The most commonly used commands are the videoFastUpdate, the pictureFreeze 
and the rateRequest. Not clear if really RateRequest
makes sense or not cause you can just re-negotiate the bitrate using the 
signaling path.

Temporal-Spatial tradeoff and VideoFastUpdateGoB are not commonly used. The 
requirement for including them came more from
people designing videophones for the cellular market.

nermeen

>VideoFastUpdatePicture clearly gets used.  However, does anyone really USE 
>the quality trade-off commands (e.g., RateRequest, Temporal/Spatial)?  I 
>understand the use cases, I just wonder if it gets used.
>
>Likewise, does anyone EVER use VideoFastUpdateGOB?  Again, I understand 
>the use case, but in reality, most decoders, when they sense a messed up 
>picture, will issue a VideoFastUpdatePicture request.
>
>