Subject: [AVT] Re: Retransmission draft

From: John Lazzaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:27:34 -0700 (PDT)

> Colin Perkins writes:
>
> 3GPP is only one forum which uses IETF standards, and one where
> dealing with IPR issues is commonplace. Having patented standards is
> more of an issue for open source developers, who are often excluded by
> the licensing terms.

Yes, the musical-instrument world also has a history of license-free
standards.  Even industry titans like Yamaha and Gibson have found it
tough sledding to get broad acceptance of musical instrument standards
that are patent-encumbered.  So, we would probably exclude an encumbered
retransmission RFC from any framework documents for RTP MIDI sessions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Lazzaro -- Research Specialist -- CS Division -- EECS -- UC Berkeley
lazzaro [at] cs [dot] berkeley [dot] edu     www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt