Subject: [AVT] question about congestion control

From: Frederic Nivor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:15:03 +0100 (MET)

Hi, I want to know if RTP include some congestion control mechanisms in
the specifications, or applications using RTP need to implement their own
congestion control mechanisms ??
Thanks.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:57:42 +0100

Hi Frederic,

RTP/RTCP or any existing profile does not specify a congestion control 
algorithm to use, only that any data transmission should use it. With 
the intention that any transfers over best-effort networks without 
guaranteed QoS SHALL use congestion control.

RTCP provides certain network related measurements that can be used to 
implement congestion control with.

The AVT has very recently received a proposal to develop a profile for 
TFRC with RTP/RTCP. This will be discussed in Seoul in two weeks.

So the bottom line is: Yes, the application needs to implement 
congestion control itself. To simplify the implementation effort of 
using congestion control is one of the reasons why DCCP is being developed.

Cheers

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption, interruption, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.