Subject: [AVT] RTCP XR MIB - VoIP metrics vs other report blocks - input needed from the list!!!

From: "Alan Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:54:06 -0500

We've been updating the RTCP XR MIB, aligning it with the SIP and MGCP
reporting drafts and adding a history table.  This should be submitted this
coming week.  As requested at the last IETF, we've added a parameter for the
type of codec, also extensively cleaned up the SNMP syntax.

The question we have for the list is:-

The XR MIB currently has the VoIP metrics plus an associated history, aligns
with the other VoIP QoS reporting protocols for SIP, MGCP etc. (including a
jitter parameter), and should be highly usable and functional for VoIP
management.

The other report blocks were intended to be used together for network
tomography (see MINC) and hence RFC3611 really contains two sets of report
blocks - one set for network tomography and one set for VoIP.

Adding the other non-VoIP report blocks would make this "the RTCP XR MIB"
however the non-VoIP report blocks have no utility for VoIP management, can
add considerable network overhead and are also messy to implement in SNMP
(i.e. use open ended lists of parameters, which would require multiple
tables to represent).

My preference would be to focus this on the VoIP metrics and treat alignment
with other VoIP management/ QoS signaling protocols as being the priority.

If the group does want to have the non-VoIP metrics in the draft, then I'd
suggest splitting the MIB into two (are we allowed to have two MIBs in one
draft?).  This would make it much clearer for implementors.

Any views from the group?

Alan

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt