Subject: Re: [AVT] RTP multicast address and port assignment for multiplesessions?

From: "Ettore Benedetti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:45:28 +0200

Hi,

these topics are rather well covered in a number of RFCs. Have a look
for instance at:

- RFC2365 Administratively Scoped IP Multicast
- RFC2730 MADCAP
- RFC2908 MALLOC

For port negotiation an obvious candidate is SIP.

Unclassified

>>> <[email-masked]> 4/28/05 4:48:50 AM >>>
Is there a process or recommendation for how to assign multicast
addresses and port numbers for multiple, disparate multicast RTP
sessions on the same network? For example, audio conferences in a
small school environment with a single network, but multiple
classrooms each participating in different conferences within the
school.

How would my application go about assigning multicast addresses and
port numbers for these sessions? I could negotiate port numbers via
some non-RTP means (although it might fail if all participants can't
support a common port). Assigning multicast addresses seems more
difficult since they are global.

Is there a recommendation for what RTP apps are supposed to do to
support these situations? Is there a group of reserved multicast
addresses for RTP that could be negotiated via some kind of probing
protocol? I didn't see anything in my Google searches, but maybe I was
searching for the wrong thing.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 08:58:22 +0100

You should also review the work of the Mbone Deployment working group, 
since this is an area in flux:

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mboned-charter.html

Colin