Subject: [AVT] IANA considerations in 2833bis

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:01:20 -0400

I've just had a look at draft-klensin-iana-reg-policy-00.txt.  On the 
basis of that document, I have probably gone too far in my instructions 
to the reviewer in the IANA Considerations section of 
draft-ietf-avt-rfc2833bis-09.txt.  I quote these instructions here:

<quote>

  Within the audio/telephone-event type, events MUST be registered with
    IANA.  Registrations are subject to the policies "Specification
    Required" and "Expert Review" as defined in RFC 2434 [4].  If the
    specification is created by an outside body, the IETF-appointed
    expert must ensure that:

    a.  the meaning and application of the proposed events is clearly
        documented;

    b.  the events cannot be represented by existing event codes,
        possibly with some minor modification of event definitions;

    c.  the number of events is the minimum necessary to fulfil the
        purpose of their application(s).

</quote>

Bullet (c) in particular seems to go too far.  Does anyone else have a view?

Tom Taylor

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt