Subject: FW: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-rtp-3gpp-timed-text-15.txt

From: "Jose Rey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:33:16 +0200

Hi all,

A new version is out. This update includes some very minor editorial changes as well as those changes agreed during the Media Type discussions (below.)

Looking forward to WGLC!

José

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Section 2.1, p.4: remove paragraph that causes confusion

REMOVED:

    The scope of the 3GPP PSS specification (in the following referred to
    as PSS) includes both downloading and streaming of multimedia content
    over 3G packet-switched networks.  PSS adopts multimedia codecs such
    as MPEG-4 Visual [22], AMR wide-band [23] or MPEG-4 AAC [24] for
    encoding content.  Other protocols like RTSP [15] for session set-up
    and control, or SMIL [9] for handling presentation layouts.  For
    transport, HTTP over TCP is used for downloading and RTP for
    streaming.

- Section 8: 
OLD:
    The media subtype for the 3GPP Timed Text codec is allocated from the
    IETF tree.  The top-level media type under which this payload format
    is registered is 'text'.

    The receiver MUST ignore any unrecognized parameter.

    Media type: text

NEW:
    The media subtype for the 3GPP Timed Text codec is allocated from the
    standards tree.  The top-level media type under which this payload
    format is registered is 'video'. This registration is done using the
    template defined in [31] and following RFC 3555 [30].

    The receiver MUST ignore any unrecognized parameter.

    Media type: video

OLD:
    Encoding considerations:

         RTP payloads complying with this payload format contain binary
         data.

         Note that this type is incompatible with the use of text media
         types in other protocols, e.g. text/html.  This is because in
         order to extract and decode any of the timed text media it is
         necessary understand the (binary) payload headers defined in
         RFCXXXX.

    Restrictions on usage:

         This type is only defined for transfer via RTP.

NEW:
    Encoding considerations:

         This media type is framed (see section 4.8 in [31]) and partially contains binary data.

    Restrictions on usage:

	   This media type depends on RTP framing, and hence is only defined for
     	   transfer via RTP [RFC 3550]. Transport within other framing protocols
     	   is not defined at this time.

OLD:
    Interoperability considerations:

         The 3GPP Timed Text media format and its storage is specified in
         Release 6 of 3GPP TS 26.245 "Transparent end-to-end packet
         switched streaming service (PSS); Timed Text Format (Release
         6)".  The 3GPP file format (3GP) and the SMIL language profile
         used can be found in Release 5 of 3GPP TS 26.234 and in the
         corresponding specifications for later Releases.  Note also that
         3GPP may in future Releases specify extensions or updates to the
         timed text media format in a backwards-compatible way, e.g. new
         modifier boxes or extensions to the sample descriptions.  The
         payload format defined in RFCXXXX allows for such extensions.
         For future 3GPP Releases of the Timed Text Format, the parameter
         "sver" is used to identify the exact specification used.

NEW:
    Interoperability considerations:

         The 3GPP Timed Text media format and its file storage is
         specified in Release 6 of 3GPP TS 26.245 "Transparent end-to-end
         packet switched streaming service (PSS); Timed Text Format
         (Release 6)".  Note also that 3GPP may in future Releases
         specify extensions or updates to the timed text media format in
         a backwards-compatible way, e.g. new modifier boxes or
         extensions to the sample descriptions.  The payload format
         defined in RFCXXXX allows for such extensions.  For future 3GPP
         Releases of the Timed Text Format, the parameter "sver" is used
         to identify the exact specification used.

         The defined storage format for 3GPP Timed Text format is the 3GPP File
	   Format (3GP) [32].  3GP files may be transferred using the media type 
         video/3gpp as registered by RFC 3839 [33].  The 3GPP File Format is a container
         file that may contain, e.g., audio and video which may be synchronized with the 
         3GPP Timed Text.

- Section 12.2: New informative references

REMOVED:

References 22, 23 and 24

NEW:

    [30] Casner, S. and P. Hoschka, "MIME Type Registration of RTP
         Payload Formats", RFC 3555, July 2003.

    [31] Freed, N. and J. Klensin, "Media Type Specifications and
         Registration Procedures", draft-freed-media-type-reg-04,
         April 2005.

    [32] Transparent end-to-end packet switched streaming service (PSS);
         3GPP file format (3GP) (Release 6), TS 26.244 V6.3. March 2005.

    [33] Castagno, R. and D. Singer, "MIME Type Registrations for 3rd
         Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) Multimedia files",
         RFC 3839, July 2004.
 
--

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 9:37 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-rtp-3gpp-timed-text-15.txt
> 
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line 
> Internet-Drafts directories.
> This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport 
> Working Group of the IETF.
> 
> 	Title		: RTP Payload Format for 3GPP Timed Text
> 	Author(s)	: J. Rey, Y. Matsui
> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-rtp-3gpp-timed-text-15.txt
> 	Pages		: 59
> 	Date		: 2005-6-13
> 	
> This document specifies an RTP payload format for the transmission of 
>    3GPP (3rd Generation Partnership Project) timed text.  3GPP timed 
>    text is a time-lined decorated text media format with 
> defined storage 
>    in a 3GP file.  Timed Text can be synchronized with audio/video 
>    contents and used in application such as captioning, titling and 
>    multimedia presentations.  In the following sections the 
> problems of 
>    streaming timed text are addressed and a payload format 
> for streaming 
>    3GPP timed text over RTP is specified.
> 
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-3gpp-ti
med-text-15.txt
> 
> To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a 
> message to [email-masked] with the word 
> unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
> You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
> to change your subscription settings.
> 
> 
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login 
> with the username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail 
> address. After logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
> 	"get draft-ietf-avt-rtp-3gpp-timed-text-15.txt".
> 
> A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in 
> http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or 
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
> 
> 
> Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
> 
> Send a message to:
> 	[email-masked].
> In the body type:
> 	"FILE 
> /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-3gpp-timed-text-15.txt".
> 	
> NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
> 	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
> 	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
> 	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
> 	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant 
> mail readers
> 	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
> 	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
> 	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
> 	how to manipulate these messages.
> 		
> 		
> Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
> implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
> Internet-Draft.
> 

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:48:07 +0100

Since there was extensive discussion on -14 which resulted in  
substantive technical changes, I'd like to restart the working group  
last call on this draft. Please send final comments by 24th June  
2005. If no comments are received by that time, we will request the  
IESG too publish this as a proposed standard RFC.

Colin

On 14 Jun 2005, at 08:33, Jose Rey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A new version is out. This update includes some very minor  
> editorial changes as well as those changes agreed during the Media  
> Type discussions (below.)
>
> Looking forward to WGLC!
>
> José
>
>

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:13:52 +0200

Hi,

The WG last call has ended. As no comments has been provided we 
interprets that everyone is satisfied with the changes.

Publication as a proposed standard has been requested.

Cheers

Magnus

Colin Perkins wrote:
> last call on this draft. Please send final comments by 24th June  2005. 
> If no comments are received by that time, we will request the  IESG too 
> publish this as a proposed standard RFC.
> 

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]