Subject: [AVT] RTP MIDI I-Ds updated

From: lazzaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 17:12:30 -0700

Hi everyone,

         Sent off the updated versions of the RTP MIDI payload
format document (draft-ietf-avt-rtp-midi-format-09.txt) and
implementation guide (draft-ietf-avt-rtp-midi-guidelines-09.txt)
to [email-masked] today.  Pick up copies here:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/pubs/txt/current-rtp-midi.txt
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/pubs/txt/current-guide.txt

         I believe we're ready for Last Call.

         During the next few months I'll have a lot of time to devote to
RTP MIDI, but I'm teaching again in the fall, so once we hit August
it will be a hard to find large chunks of time to devote to the project
until December.  So it would be good to get as much done on this
as possible the next few months ...

         Here is the change log for format-09.txt:

----

N.  Change Log for <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-midi-format-09.txt>

In response to discussions on the mailing list with Magnus, and to
discussions with implementors at GRAME and elsewhere, we have made the
following changes since -08.txt.  The 6 points list the core changes --
many parts of the document needed small edits to reflect these changes.
We believe that the document is now ready for a new Last Call.

[1] Section 2.1 has been rewritten, to define a set of RTP session rules
(SSRC use, PT use, SSRC in grouped TCP and UDP sessions that share the
same MIDI name space, etc).  These rules attempt to codify the
discussions by Magnus and I on AVT.  Section 2.1 changes begin the
paragraph starting "A session description [6] media line", and continue
for the remainder of Section 2.1

[2] Appendix C.5 has been rewritten to define how RFC 3388 grouping and
the RTP MIDI musicport parameter work together to group MIDI streams and
sessions.  The entire section was rewritten.

[3] The functionality of the ch_ parameters (Appendix C.2) has been
split into two sections (C.1 and C.2).  C.1 handles cm_ parameters that
define which MIDI commands are allowed to appear in the MIDI list; C.2
handles ch_ parameters for the recovery journal.  This functional split,
recommended by Dominique Fober and Nicolas Falquet, lets us define a
better syntax and semantics for MIDI list subsetting.  Appendix C.1 was
written essentially from scratch, and Appendix C.2 is the old Appendix
C.1 with material removed.

[4] The interoperability guidelines for stage and studio applications
have been removed from Appendix C.7.  In Section 1 of the main text, new
material has been added to explain that stage and studio
interoperability advice awaits a stage and studio session management
framework.  A short Appendix on session management issues for MIDI Time
Code has also been deleted (the former Appendix C.4.3).

[5] The NMP interoperability rules (C.7.2) were changed to support the
new Appendix 2.1 usage of payload types.  Key changes begin in the
"Offerers MUST NOT present" paragraph, although many paragraphs in this
Appendix C.7.2 were touched.

[6] A review of the MMA's Recommended Practice 15 (Response to Reset All
Controllers, available for download here:

http://www.midi.org/about-midi/rp15.shtml

describes how Reset All Controllers should work in more depth than the
MIDI 1.0 documents.  It revealed several bugs in the recovery journal,
which are now fixed.

Inclusion rules and log formats for Chapter C (A.3) have new active/C-
active semantics.  This fixes an incompatibility with RP-015. A.3.1 adds
a new rule exception that helps the efficiency of this new rule w/o
violating RP-015.  C-active/N-active/active semantics have also changed
in Chapters M, W, T, and A, and are now compatible with RP-015.

The changes to the journal for RP-015 had the side effect that ch_active
parameter is no longer needed, and has been removed from the document.
As a consequence, the A bit in the Chapter M header is no longer needed
and was removed.

---
John Lazzaro
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro
lazzaro [at] cs [dot] berkeley [dot] edu
---

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt