Subject: [AVT] Comments on draft-koren-avt-ecrtp-reorder-01.txt

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:44:27 +0200

Hi,

Chair hat off!

I would especially like a discussion on what the purpose of this draft 
is in Paris. I hope the header compression people can also provide 
further input.

I have reviewed the draft and have a few comments.

1. First of all I think this draft needs to define a few things, like 
what backwards reordering is. Also how the different N+1 measurements 
are calculated would benefit from a proper definition. I would suggest a 
new chapter containing the definitions. Preferable with figures etc that 
help explain this.

2. Then I have a really fundamental question about the purpose of this 
draft. It reads like: There is no problem with reordering in ECRTP, but 
it might be good to consider these things. Do you intend to change that. 
I don't think it really appropriate to publish such a draft. I think we 
should be much more straight forward. ECRTP can handle reordering up to 
a certain level that is dependent on the compressor and its state update 
strategy. Why not clear present the limitation and then provide the 
details that the implementor needs to think about to achieve this 
robustness. That would be something worth publishing.

3. Why does many of the examples say discard in them. If one would 
buffer in these cases most seems recoverable at later stage. Is this 
something that ECRTP forces or simple the easiest way of handling it?

Editorial:

E1: Please update the boiler plate, you have one paragraph there that 
references 3667 which after all is obsoleted.

E2: The draft is lacking page breaks.

E3. The chapters are very funny. All the descriptive text is in the 
introduction. Please restructure

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt