Subject: [AVT] Multiple Description / Layered video coding, draft-vitali-ietf-avt-mdc-lc-00.txt

From: Andrea Lorenzo VITALI <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:45:09 +0200

Dear AVTers,

We have recently submitted a new internet draft on Standard-compatible Multiple 
Description and Layered video coding (MDC/LC). The goal is to allow a graceful 
degradation of the application quality with increasing packet loss rate and 
decreasing bandwidth/throughput on the network.

You can find the draft at:
   ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vitali-ietf-avt-mdc-lc-00.txt

In the proposed scheme, descriptions/layers are created and merged in the pixel
domain as follows:

            +--> filter     --> enc/dec --> upsampler -->+
            |    & downsampler              & filter     |
            |                                            |
   video -->o--> filter     --> enc/dec --> upsampler -->sum --> video
   input    :    & downsampler              & filter     :       output
            :                                            :
            +---> ...       --> ...     --> ...       -->+

This scheme covers video balanced MD, unbalanced MD, wavelet layered 
decomposition, etc. Audio is still an open issue.

In the draft we propose to use SDP to describe how descriptions/layers are
created and how they can be merged.

Descriptions/layers are compressed using existing codecs: MPEG-2, H.264...
Bitstreams are sent according to existing standards, i.e. the usual RTP/UDP.

We are looking forward to hearing feedbacks on this.

   Andrea Vitali

-- 
  ______________________________________________________________

   Andrea VITALI                            [email-masked]

   tel (+39) 039 603 7244             mobile (+39) 347 93 08 433
   fax (+39) 039 603 6129

   STMicroelectronics
   Centro Direzionale COLLEONI - Palazzo "DIALETTICA"
   20041 Agrate Brianza (MI) ITALY
  ______________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt