Subject: [AVT] Requesting Comments: "RTP Payload Format for ECN Probing"

From: "Corey Alexander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:23:05 -0500

Greetings.  We are looking for feedback on the following draft:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alexander-rtp-payload-for-ecn-
probing-01.txt.  This draft has been submitted detailing a proposed RTP
payload format for use with probing during session establishment to
determine the measured congestion level of the path via a modified
Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) bit marking mechanism.

The general problem we intend to solve here is one of admission control
based on the measured level of congestion along the network path.  As
background, draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-babiarz-tsvwg-rtecn-04.txt
describes an ECN marking mechanism for real-time flows.  Draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alexander-congestion-status-pr
econditions-00.txt describes a SIP precondition used to delay session
establishment until a congestion level within the network can be
determined.

The draft for which feedback is being requested describes an RTP payload
format used to probe for the measured level of congestion along the
network path via ECN markings in an RTP flow.  A general description of
the payload format's used is described in draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alexander-rtecn-use-cases-00.t
xt.

We welcome and appreciate any comments/feedback.

Thank you,
Corey

Corey W. Alexander 
Nortel

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt