Subject: [AVT] MIME type registration: basic question

From: Alejandro Cabrera Obed <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:51:09 -0300

Dear people,

I've been seen that all the the RTP payload formats for audio and
video need to define a MIME type registration, with type of media,
transport protocol and media format.

My question is this: why is it necessary the definition of a MIME type
in -for example- HDTV media sessions ??? Doesn't MIME refer to an
official Internet standard that specifies how messages must be
formatted so that they can be exchanged between different email
systems only (and for web too) ???

Thanks a lot !!!!

Alejandro

-- 
Alejandro Cabrera Obed
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:13:28 +0100

> systems only (and for web too) ???

A media type name is registered, so the format can be signalled in  
SDP.  SDP uses the same namespace as email, the web, and many other  
protocols, to identify media formats.

Colin