Subject: [AVT] Proposed FEC Streaming Framework

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:42:27 +0200

All,

The below messge was sent to TSVWG. If you have comments on this please 
respond to us author or the TSVWG.

/Magnus Westerlund

-----

A few of us have been working on a framework for FEC protection of
streaming media, based on some work done recently in 3GPP and making use
of the FEC Building Block defined by RMT (so that the framework is not
specific to a particular FEC code).

This proposal is described in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-watson-tsvwg-fec-sf-00.txt.
Although intended primarily for streaming, it is not specific to RTP,
defining instead an FEC protection layer above UDP, which can protect a
set of several UDP flows.

Since the proposal is not specific to either multicast or RTP, we are
bringing it first to TSVWG, rather than RMT or AVT. It will be discussed
at the Paris meeting, so please put it on your reading list.

The questions for the TSVWG are (at least):
1) is the objective of extending the RMT FEC Building Block framework to
streaming a good one ?
2) is this a good approach to that objective ?
3) what is the relationship with the ULP work in AVT ?
4) whether the proposal should best be progressed in AVT (where there is
streaming expertise), in RMT (where there is FEC expertise) or in TSVWG
?

Regards,

Mark Watson
Digital Fountain

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt