Subject: [AVT] RTP URL

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:49:54 +0300

Hi All

Anyone know if the RTP URL was ever presented in the IETF and where the
record of the email exchange(s) and/or meeting minutes are?

Has it been buried deeply for good reasons or just no one has had time
and motivation to see it through to WGLC?

(RTP URL, e.g., as mentioned in
http://www.live.com/multikit/winamp-plugin.html and
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-smil-boston-20000622/streaming-media-object
.html)

Cheers, Rod.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:17:25 -0700

>Has it been buried deeply for good reasons

Yes - the reason being that URL cannot (easily) convey enough 
information to describe a RTP stream.  Instead, a SDP description 
(conveyed via a "rtsp://" or "sip:" URL) is the best way to describe a stream.

>http://www.live.com/multikit/winamp-plugin.html

That's a gross hack that I'm a bit ashamed to be responsible for 
:-)  If you look at the details of this, you'll see that it works 
only for MP3 RTP streams (handled by this particular Winamp plugin).