Subject: RE: [AVT] Comments on draft-koren-avt-ecrtp-reorder-01.txt

From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (LU/EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 12:00:24 +0200

> 1. First of all I think this draft needs to define a few things, like 
> what backwards reordering is. Also how the different N+1 measurements 
> are calculated would benefit from a proper definition. I 
> would suggest a new chapter containing the definitions. Preferable
> with figures etc that help explain this.

Agree, it is far from obvious what is talked about here, it could be
a good idea to borrow terminology from:
<draft-ietf-rohc-over-reordering-03.txt>,
which is the ROHC document discussing the challenging aspects of
reordering. That document is currently in the RFC editor queue.

> 2. Then I have a really fundamental question about the 
> purpose of this draft. It reads like: There is no problem with
> reordering in ECRTP, but it might be good to consider these things
> Do you intend to change that. 

I get the same impression, while it is for sure not true that there
are no problems. The potential problems that may occur should be
carefully described, as well as both decompressor ways to cope with
that, along with compressor changes to reduce the risk of failing
due to reordering. The big problem is usually not to decompress if
one knows which packet it is, but really to not misinterpret the
packet due to an unexpected packet sequence.

> E2: The draft is lacking page breaks.

Yes, please get proper formatting!

> E3. The chapters are very funny. All the descriptive text is in the 
> introduction. Please restructure

Would make very much sense!

/L-E
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt