Subject: [AVT] Protocol Action: 'Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) Payload Format for the Variable-Rate Multimode Wideband (VMR-WB) Audio Codec' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:12:21 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) Payload Format for the Variable-Rate 
   Multimode Wideband (VMR-WB) Audio Codec '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rtp-vmr-wb-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-vmr-wb-11.txt

Technical Summary:

This specification defines the RTP payload format for the 3GPP2 defined
VMR-WB codec. The payload format supports a highly optimized
conversational mode, and a octet-aligned mode with aggregation and
support for frame interleaving to reduce the effect of packet loss when
aggregating frames. The codec is able to support both 8kHz and 16kHz
audio input sampling frequency, this results in the unusual solution to
have an RTP timestamp rate that is not necessary the same as the
sampling audio sampling rate. 

Working Group Summary:

     The working group supported advancing this specification.
     The 3GP22 liaison informed the IETF that this document is
      a critical dependency.

Protocol Quality:

This payload format uses packetization methods that are well known and
used by other RTP payload formats and are known to work. The RTP
timestamp solution has been heavily discussed and consensus has been
reached on the solution.  Magnus Westerlund is the WG shepherd for
this document.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt