Subject: [AVT] 'maxptime' in RFC 3555 and draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-new

From: "Kumar, Rajesh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:30:37 -0800

RFC 3555 has a maxptime parameter, which is the same as the maxptime
parameter in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-new-25.txt.

ITU V.152 has a parameter that is similar in semantics but is spelt
differently - 'maxmptime'.

Also, PacketCable has a similar parameter 'mptime'.

All of these parameters looks similar and have similar semantics but are
not quite the same. This was the result of different groups doing
similar, unsynchronized work in different venues.

I think there sdp-new should harmonize the three usages by mentioning
the history that exists in this area (ITU, PacketCable etc.) and by
recommending how these should be interoperated.

Thanks

Rajesh

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:42:41 +0000

Rajesh,

> recommending how these should be interoperated.

I would recommend the ITU and PacketCable register their attributes  
with IANA, documenting how they relate to the IETF attributes.

Colin