Subject: Re: [AVT] Comments on draft-ietf-avt-rtp-jpeg2000-beam-03

From: Satoshi Futemma <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 08:37:19 +0900

Dear AVT chairs and AVT members,

Thanks for all the great feedback. Many issues have been addressed.
Open issues are:

- For extended color sampling, or color sampling in general,
  can we just directly refer to RFC 4175 (and successors)
  for color sampling and extensions ?
  Having a "depth" option may be useful for us as well.

- We have eliminated the "Application Specific Priority Table"
  option in the JP2 RTP EX. We talked about this in Paris but
  when we really think about it, setting this up for specific
  extensions of a priority table is too limiting and too much
  work. We also can't work out the situations where it would
  be more advantageous to have a different table. If there
  comes a situation where another table would be advantageous
  in the future, could another RFC be added on to this?
  Or is there an issue of: extending on a patent issue?
  If setting up the registration authority is a good idea,
  we would like some help in this area.

- IPR disclosure and indication of IPR disclosure in draft.
  The past versions of JP2 RTP EX we used:
  "<rfc ipr=noDerivatives2026 >" option in the file.
  Currently, we reverted to "full2026" option. Is this correct?
  Should we be using another? I cannot find any good reference
  on this item.

- Some terminology between JPEG 2000 "packets" and payload
  "packets" seem confusing... and it is! JPEG 2000 codestream
  is laid out interms of "packets" for several reasons and
  is the dominant terminology for the codestream parts.
  We have made corrections and added an explaination to clear
  things up but someone with good knowledge of both should be
  able to understand.

- Offer/Answer has been updated with clearer usage. Please review.

Best reagards,

Satoshi Futemma

Magnus Westerlund wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I have reviewed the JPEG2000 payload format extensions and have the 
> following comments.
> 
> 1. The abstract contains references ([1]) which isn't allowed. Including 
> the complete RFC number, currently as XXXX is fine.
> 
> 2. Section 1. First sentence:
> "This document is an extension of: "An RTP Payload Format for JPEG
>    2000 Video Streams"[1]."
> 
> The reference doesn't use the correct title. There is no "An" in that 
> title.
> 
> 3. Section 1.1:
> "  In the development of [1], Sony Corporation filed a patent
>    application on certain mechanisms with the main header compensation,
>    priority table usage, etc. in [1]."
> 
> I think is on the borderline to breaking the following rule of RFC 3979:
> 
> 11.  No IPR Disclosures in IETF Documents
> 
>    IETF and RFC Editor Documents must not contain any mention of
>    specific IPR.  All specific IPR disclosures must be submitted as
>    described in Section 6.  Specific IPR disclosures must not be in the
>    affected IETF and RFC Editor Documents because the reader could be
>    misled.  The inclusion of a particular IPR disclosure in a document
>    could be interpreted to mean that the IETF, IESG, or RFC Editor has
>    formed an opinion on the validity, enforceability, or applicability
>    of the IPR.  The reader could also be misled to think that the
>    included IPR disclosures are the only IPR disclosures the IETF has
>    received concerning the IETF document.  Readers should always refer
>    to the on-line web page to get a full list of IPR disclosures
>    received by the IETF concerning any Contribution.
>    (http://www.ietf.org/ipr/)
> 
> I would recommend to reformulate that sentence:
> 
> "  In the development of [1], there was raised IPR claims on certain 
> mechanisms with the main header compensation, priority table usage, etc. 
> in [1]."
> 
> 4. Section 3.1, last bullet:
> "   o  When there are multiple JPEG 2000 packets in the same RTP payload
>       packet, the sender MUST set the payload packet priority value to
>       the lowest priority value of the lowest JPEG 2000 packet. (i.e. if
>       JPEG 2000 packets with priority: 5,6,7 are packed into a single
>       payload, the priority value MUST be 5.)"
> 
> The use of "lowest JPEG 2000 packet" is not clear to me.
> 
> Secondly, the usage of normative words in examples is not good. So 
> please change "the priority value MUST be 5" to the priority value will 
> be 5".
> 
> 5. Section 3.1.1:
> "   This is the default mode for payload packet priority value and all
>    implementation of this specification MUST support."
> 
> I don't think this sentence is particular clear. I do understand the 
> intention, but I think it can be formulated better.
> 
> 6. Section 3.1.1:
> The sender will have a one-to-one association between payload packet
>    priority value and the payload packet value (i.e. the JPEG 2000
>    codestream.)"
> 
> The terminology "packet value" is once more making things unclear in the 
> above sentence.
> 
> 7. Section 4.2:
> "If the mh_id field is set to 0, the receiver MUST not save the main
>  header and MUST NOT compensate for lost headers."
> The first MUST NOT is lacking capital NOT.
> 
> 8. Section 5. I think this security consideration section should be 
> rewritten. If it starts with a reference to RFC XXXX [1] security 
> section then it only need to cover security risks with the mechanism 
> introduced in this document. All other things can be removed.
> 
> 9. Section 6.1: As having a second companion document extend a media 
> type is something not commonly done I am not 100% certain what the best 
> practice will be. However I think you should have the extended media 
> type be a complete registration with all parameters etc. That way one 
> don't have as reviewer combine them in ones head. Thus [1] media type 
> should be subset of the one in this document.
> 
> 10. Section 6.1, priority-table-definitions. Is the list of values 
> potentially extensible?
> 
> 11. Section 6.1, comments on main draft regarding encoding consideration 
> and restriction on usage (7 and 8) do apply also here.
> 
> 12. Please do not use "none" in the magic number, file extension or 
> Macintosh file type code, instead remove the headings.
> 
> 13. Section 6.2, Please replace MIME with Media in second bullet.
> 
> 14. Section 7, The offer/answer model, second bullet. I think this can 
> be reformulated. The important aspects of all parameters are:
> - How does the parameters work. To me it seems like negotiated 
> parameters where both end-points uses the same values.
> - How does they interact when the peers who don't support the extension. 
>  although this is simple as the peer will leave them out of the message 
> I think it is worth explaining that.
> 
> cheers
> 
> Magnus Westerlund
> 
> Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
> Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
> S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Audio/Video Transport Working Group
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt
> 

---
Satoshi Futemma, Ph. D.
Communication Technology Lab. Information Technologies Labs.
Sony Corporation

Audio Video Transport                                           A. Leung
Internet-Draft                                                S. Futemma
Expires: September 14, 2006                                   E. Itakura
                                                                    Sony
                                                          March 13, 2006

Payload Format for JPEG 2000 Video: Extensions for Scalability and Main
                            Header Recovery
                    draft-ietf-avt-rtp-jpeg2000-beam

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
   all provisions of Section 10 of RFC 2026.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This Internet-Draft will expire on September 14, 2006.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2006).  All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

   This memo describes extended uses for payload header in RFC document:
   "RTP Payload Format for JPEG 2000 Video Streams."  For better support
   of JPEG 2000 features such as scalability and includes a main header
   recovery method.

   This memo MUST be accompanied with a complete implementation of "RTP
   Payload Format for JPEG 2000 Video Streams."  That document is a
   complete description of the payload header and signaling, this

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 1]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

   document only describes additional processing for the payload header.
   There is an additional media type and SDP marker signaling for
   implementations of this document.

Table of Contents

   1.  Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
     1.1.  History  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
     1.2.  Description of the Mechanisms  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
       1.2.1.  Main Header Compensation . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
       1.2.2.  Priority Table . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
     1.3.  Conventions Used in This Document  . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   2.  Payload Format Enhanced Processing . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
     2.1.  Enhanced Processing Markers  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
   3.  Priority Mapping Table . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
     3.1.  Pre-Defined Priority Mapping . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
       3.1.1.  Packet Number Based Ordering . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
       3.1.2.  Progression Based Ordering . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
       3.1.3.  Layer Based Ordering . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
       3.1.4.  Resolution Based Ordering  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
       3.1.5.  Component Based Ordering . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
   4.  JPEG 2000 Main Header Compensation Scheme  . . . . . . . . . . 10
     4.1.  Sender Processing  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
     4.2.  Receiver Processing  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
   5.  Security Consideration . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
   6.  Congestion Control . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
   7.  IANA Consideration . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
     7.1.  Media Type Registration  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
     7.2.  SDP Parameters . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17
   8.  Usage with the SDP Offer/Answer Model  . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
     8.1.  Examples . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
       8.1.1.  Example 1  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
       8.1.2.  Example 2  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19
   9.  References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
     9.1.  Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
     9.2.  Informative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
   Appendix A.  Sample Headers in Detail  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21
   Authors' Addresses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29
   Intellectual Property and Copyright Statements . . . . . . . . . . 30

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 2]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

1.  Introduction

   This document is an extension of: "RTP Payload Format for JPEG 2000
   Video Streams"[1].  There are additional mechanisms that can be used
   with certain parts of the header in [1] to support JPEG 2000 features
   such as scalability and a main header compensation method.  These
   mechanisms are described in detail in this document.

1.1.  History

   In the development of RFC XXXY [1], there was an issue of IPR claims
   on certain mechanisms with main header compensation, priority table
   usage, etc. in RFC XXXY [1].  As these are not "essential" to the
   core RTP format of RFC XXXY [1] and only describes a mechanism, it
   was decided that splitting these mechanisms from the core RTP format
   in to a separate document.  This is the document describing the IPR
   related mechanisms for main header recover and priority table usage.

1.2.  Description of the Mechanisms

1.2.1.  Main Header Compensation

   JPEG 2000's scalable coding scheme allows for decompressing truncated
   or partial data streams but only when the main header is present.  If
   the header is lost, the data is useless.  With JPEG 2000 video
   coding, coding parameters between frames will rarely change and
   previous headers may be used in newly received data which the header
   have been lost.

   Compensation of the main header that has been lost is very simple
   with this procedure.  In the case of JPEG 2000 video, it is very
   common that encode parameters will not vary greatly between
   successive frames.  Even if the RTP packet including the main header
   of a frame has been dropped, decoding may be performed by using the
   main header of a previous frame.

1.2.2.  Priority Table

   JPEG 2000 codestream has rich functionality built into it so decoders
   can easily handle scalable delivery or progressive transmission.
   Progressive transmission allows images to be reconstructed with
   increasing pixel accuracy or spatial resolution.  This feature allows
   the reconstruction of images with different resolutions and pixel
   accuracy, for different target devices.  A single image source can
   provide a codestream that is easily processed for smaller image
   display devices.

   JPEG 2000 packets contain all compressed image data from a specific:

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 3]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

   layer, component, resolution level, and/or precinct.  The order in
   which these JPEG 2000 packets are found in the codestream is called:
   progression order.  The ordering of the JPEG 2000 packets can
   progress along four axes: layer, component, resolution and precinct
   (or position).

   Providing a priority field to indicate the importance of data
   contained in a given RTP packet can aid in usage of JPEG 2000
   progressive and scalable functions.

1.3.  Conventions Used in This Document

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in RFC2119. [2].

   RFC-Editor Note: The RFC Editor is requested to replace all
   occurences of RFC XXXY with the RFC number
   draft-ietf-avt-rtp-jpeg2000 receives.  At that time, please remove
   this note.

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 4]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

2.  Payload Format Enhanced Processing

2.1.  Enhanced Processing Markers

   This section of the document describes additional usage in the values
   of mh_id and priority fields and interpretation which differ from RFC
   XXXY [1].  Implementions of this document should follow RFC XXXY [1]
   first then add additional header processing as described in this
   document.  Implementations following this document are expected to
   interoperate with implementations of [1] and this document as well.

   The RTP payload header format for JPEG 2000 video stream is as
   follows:

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |tp |MHF|mh_id|T|     priority  |           tile number         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |reserved       |             fragment offset                   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 1: RTP payload header format for JPEG 2000

   mh_id (Main Header Identification) : 3 bits

      Main header identification value.  This is used for JPEG 2000 main
      header recovery.

      The initial value of mh_id is random, and may take any value
      between 1-7, but MUST NOT be 0.

      The same mh_id value is used as long as the coding parameters
      described in the main header remains unchanged between frames.

      The mh_id value MUST be incremented by 1 every time a new main
      header is transmitted.  Once the mh_id value is greater than 7, it
      rolls over to 1.

      When mh_id is 0, it has special usage for the receiver.  This
      special usage is described in Section 4.2 of this document.

      Senders should follow Section 4.1 of this document for proper
      mh_id assignment and usage.

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 5]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

   priority : 8 bits

      The priority field indicates the importance of the JPEG 2000
      packet included in the payload.  Typically, a higher priority is
      set in the packets containing JPEG 2000 packets containing the
      lower sub-bands.

      Special values of priority:

      0: This is reserved for payload which contain a header (main or
         tile part header.)  This is considered the most important.

      1 to 255: These values decrease in importance as the values
         increase. (i.e. 1 is more important than 2, etc.)  Hence
         applying priority values should correlate directly to JPEG 2000
         codestream in importance.

      The lower the priority value is the higher the importance.
      Simply, the priority value 0 is the highest importance and 255 is
      the lowest importance.  We define the priority value 0 as a
      special priority value for the headers (the main header or tile-
      part header).  When any headers (the main header or tile-part
      header) are packed into the RTP payload, the sender MUST set the
      priority value to 0.

      Assignment of the values are described in Section 3 with pre-
      defined table assignments in Section 3.1.

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 6]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

3.  Priority Mapping Table

   For the progression order, the priority value for each JPEG 2000
   packet is given by the priority mapping table.

3.1.  Pre-Defined Priority Mapping

   This document specify several commonly-used priority mapping tables,
   pre-defined priority mapping tables: packet number based (default),
   progression-based, layer-based, resolution-based, position-based, and
   component-based.

   Packet number priority mapping is REQUIRED to be supported by clients
   implementing this specification.  Other priority mapping tables
   (progression, layer, resolution, and component based) are OPTIONAL to
   implementations of this specification.

   Rules that all implementations of this specification MUST follow in
   all priority modes:

   o  When there is a header in the packet with a JPEG 2000 packet, the
      sender MUST set the payload packet priority value to 0.

   o  When there are multiple JPEG 2000 packets in the same RTP payload
      packet, the sender MUST set the payload packet priority value to
      the lowest JPEG 2000 packet. (i.e. if JPEG 2000 packets with
      priority: 5,6,7 are packed into a single payload, the priority
      value will be 5.)

3.1.1.  Packet Number Based Ordering

   Packet number based ordering assigns the payload packet priority
   value from the "JPEG 2000 packet value". (note: JPEG 2000 codestreams
   are stored in units of packets and each packet has a value .)  This
   method is the default method for assigning priority value.  All
   implementations of this specification MUST support this method.

   If the JPEG 2000 codestream packet value is greater than 255, the
   sender MUST set the payload priority value to 255.

3.1.2.  Progression Based Ordering

   The sender will assign the payload packet priority value only based
   on layer, resolution, and component ordering of the codestream.

   This is similar to the packet number based assignment but will not
   take into account the precinct number or position in the JPEG 2000
   codestream.

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 7]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

   For example:

   If the codestream is ordered in LRCP (Layer, Resolution, Component,
   Position)

      All the packets in:

         layer.........0
         resolution....0
         component.....0

      then the packet priority value : 1

      All the packets in:

         layer.........0
         resolution....0
         component.....1

      then the packet priority value : 2

      All the packets in:

         layer.........0
         resolution....0
         component.....2

      then the packet priority value : 3

3.1.3.  Layer Based Ordering

   Layer-based priority mapping table simplifies the default mapping to
   just matching JPEG 2000 packets together from the same layer.

   For example:

      All the packets in layer 0 : packet priority value : 1
      All the packets in layer 1 : packet priority value : 2
      All the packets in layer 2 : packet priority value : 3
      ...
      All the packets in layer n : packet priority value : n+1

3.1.4.  Resolution Based Ordering

   Resolution-based priority mapping table is similar to the layer based
   order but for JPEG 2000 packets of the same resolution

   For example:

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 8]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

      All the packets in resolution 0 : packet priority value : 1
      All the packets in resolution 1 : packet priority value : 2
      All the packets in resolution 2 : packet priority value : 3
      ...
      All the packets in resolution n : packet priority value : n+1

3.1.5.  Component Based Ordering

   Component-based priority mapping table is mapping together JPEG 2000
   components of the same component

   For example:

      All the packets in component 0 : packet priority value : 1
      All the packets in component 1 : packet priority value : 2
      All the packets in component 2 : packet priority value : 3
      ...
      All the packets in component n : packet priority value : n+1

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 9]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

4.  JPEG 2000 Main Header Compensation Scheme

   The mh_id field of the payload header is used to indicate whether the
   encoding parameters of the main header are the same as the encoding
   parameters of the previous frame.  The same value is set in mh_id of
   the RTP packet in the same frame.  The mh_id and encode parameters
   are not associated with each other as 1:1 but they are used to
   indicate whether the encode parameters of the previous frame are the
   same or not in the event of a lost header.

   The mh_id field value SHOULD be saved from previous frames to be used
   to recover the current frame's main header.  If the mh_id of the
   current frame has the same value as the mh_id value of the previous
   frame, the previous frame's main header MAY be used to decode the
   current frame, in case of a lost header in the current frame.

   The sender MUST increment mh_id when parameters in the header change
   and send a new main header accordingly.

   The receiver MAY use the mh_id and MAY retain the header for such
   compensation.

4.1.  Sender Processing

   The sender MUST transmit RTP packets with the same mh_id value if the
   encoder parameters of the current frame are the same as the previous
   frame.  The encoding parameters are the fixed information marker
   segment (SIZ marker) and functional marker segments (COD, COC, RGN,
   QCD, QCC, and POC) specified in JPEG 2000 Part 1 Annex A [3].

   An initial value of mh_id MUST be selected randomly between 1 and 7
   for security reasons.

   If the encode parameters changes, the sender transmitting RTP packets
   MUST increment the mh_id value by one, but when mh_id value becomes
   greater than 7, a sender MUST set mh_id value to 1.

4.2.  Receiver Processing

   When the receiver receives the main header completely, the RTP
   sequence number, the mh_id and main header should be saved.  Only the
   last main header that was received completely SHOULD be saved.  When
   the mh_id value is 0, the receiver SHOULD NOT save the header.

   When the main header is not received, the receiver may compare the
   current payload header's mh_id value with the previous saved mh_id
   value.  If the values match, decoding may be performed by using the
   previously saved main header.

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 10]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

   If the mh_id field is set to 0, the receiver MUST NOT save the main
   header and MUST NOT compensate for lost headers.

   If the mh_id value changes, receivers SHOULD save the current header
   and save the new mh_id value.  The old saved header should be deleted
   from storage.

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 11]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

5.  Security Consideration

   Please refer to section 6 of RFC XXXY [1] for Security Considerations
   regarding this RTP format.

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 12]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

6.  Congestion Control

   Please refer to section 7 of RFC XXXY [1] for Congestion Control
   regarding this RTP format.

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 13]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

7.  IANA Consideration

7.1.  Media Type Registration

   This document extends the associated media type from RFC XXXY[1]:
   Here is the complete original for reference.

   This registration uses the template defined in [8] and follows [9].

   Type name: video

   Subtype name: jpeg2000

   Required parameters:

      sampling: A list of values specifying the color space of the
      payload data.

      Acceptable values:

         RGB: standard Red, Green, Blue color space.

         BGR: standard Blue, Green, Red color space.

         RGBA: standard Red, Green, Blue, Alpha color space.

         BGRA: standard Blue, Green, Red, Alpha color space.

         YCbCr-4:4:4: standard YCbCr color space, no subsampling.

         YCbCr-4:2:2: standard YCbCr color space, Cb and Cr are
            subsampled horizontally by 1/2.

         YCbCr-4:2:0: standard YCbCr color space, Cb and Cr are
            subsampled horizontally and vertically by 1/2.

         YCbCr-4:1:1: standard YCbCr color space, Cb and Cr are
            subsampled vertically by 1/4

         GRAYSCALE: basically a single component image of just
            multilevels of grey.

         EXTENSION VALUE: Additional color samplings can be registered
            with and current listing of registered color samplings at:
            Color Sampling Registration Authority.

   Optional parameters:

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 14]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

      interlace: interlace scanning.  If payload is in interlace format,
         the acceptable value is "1", otherwise, the value should be
         "0".  Each complete image forms vertically half the display. tp
         value MUST properly specify the field the image represents
         odd(tp=1), or even(tp=2).  If this option is not present, the
         payload MUST be in progressive format and tp MUST be set to 0.

      width: A parameter describing the maximum width of the video
         stream.  This parameter MUST appear when height is present.
         Acceptable values: - an integer value between 0 -
         4,294,967,295.

      height: A parameter describing the maximum height of the video
         stream.  This parameter MUST appear when width is present.
         Acceptable values: - an integer value between 0 -
         4,294,967,295.

   The receiver MUST ignore any unspecified parameters outside of this
   list and in [1] .

   Additional parameters for this extension:

      mhc : Main Header Compensation. this option is used when sender
         and/or receiver is utilizing the Main Header compensation
         technique as specified in this document.  Acceptable values
         when using the Main Header compensation technique is "1",
         otherwise, it should be "0".

         This is a list of options to be included when the sender or
         receiver is utilizing the Priority Table(s) as specified in
         this document.

      pt : Priority Table. this option is followed by a comma-separated
         list of predefined priority table definitions to be used by
         sender or receiver.

         The option appearing front most in the option line is the most
         important and next ones are of decreasing importance.

            Acceptable values:

            progression : this table follows the progression ordering of
               the codestream.

            layer : this table follows the layer ordering of the
               codestream.

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 15]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

            resolution : this table follows the resolution ordering of
               the codestream.

            component : this table follows the component ordering of the
               codestream.

            default : this table follows the ordering of the codestream.

   Encoding considerations:

      This media type is framed and binary, see Section 4.8 in [8]

   Security considerations:

      see security considerations section Section 5 of this document.

   Interoperability considerations:

      JPEG 2000 video stream is a sequence of JPEG 2000 still images.
      An implementation in compliant with [3] can decode and attempt to
      display the encoded JPEG 2000 video stream.

   Published specification: ISO/IEC 15444-1 | ITU-T Rec. T.800

   Applications which use this media type:

      video streaming and communication

   Person and email address to contact for further information:

      Eisaburo Itakura, Satoshi Futemma, Andrew Leung
      Email: [email-masked], [email-masked]

   Intended usage: Restriction

      Restrictions on Usage:

         This media type depends on RTP framing, and hence is only
         defined for the transfer via RTP [4].  Transport within other
         framing protocols is not defined at the time.

   Author/Change Controller:

      Author:

         Eisaburo Itakura, Satoshi Futemma, Andrew Leung
         Email: {itakura|satosi-f}@ sm.sony.co.jp, [email-masked]

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 16]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

      Change controller:

         IETF Audio/Video Transport Working Group delegated from the
         IESG

7.2.  SDP Parameters

   In addition to SDP Parameters section in [1]:

   The media type video/jpeg2000 string is mapped to fields in the
   Session Description Protocol (SDP) [6] as follows:

   o  The media name in the "m=" line of SDP MUST be video.

   o  The encoding name in the "a=rtpmap" line of SDP MUST be jpeg2000
      (the MIME subtype).

   o  The clock rate in the "a=rtpmap" line MUST be 90000.

   o  The OPTIONAL parameters "mhc" or "pt" MUST be included in the
      "a=fmtp" line of SDP.

   These parameters are expressed as a media type string, in the form of
   a semicolon separated list of parameter=value pairs.

   Therefore, an example of media representation in SDP is as follows:

      m=video 49170/2 RTP/AVP 98
      a=rtpmap:98 jpeg2000/90000
      a=fmtp:98 mhc; pt=default; sampling=YCbCr-
      4:2:0;width=128;height=128

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 17]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

8.  Usage with the SDP Offer/Answer Model

   In addition to SDP Offer/Answer section in RFC XXXY [1]:

   When offering JPEG 2000 over RTP using SDP in an Offer/Answer model
   [7], the following rules and limitations apply:

   o  All parameters MUST have an acceptable value for that parameter.

   o  All parameters MUST correspond to the parameters of the payload.

   o  The parameters "mhc" or "pt" MUST appear in the offer and answer.
      If the parameter "mhc" or "pt" is not in the answer, senders
      should not process the header according to this document.

   o  For the "pt" option:

      *  Senders should send a complete list indicating which option are
         available to the receiver.  The receiver should answer with
         their preference from the offer list.

   o  In a multicast environment:

      *  Senders should send out one option for priority-table-
         definition for everyone in the group.

      *  If a single client in the group do not support the extensions
         outlined in this document, senders SHOULD NOT use additional
         techniques outlined in this document.

      This is highly recommended for multicast streams where not all
      receivers are of the same type.

8.1.  Examples

   Offer/Answer example exchanges are provided.

8.1.1.  Example 1

   Alice offers Main Header Compensation functionality, YCbCr 422 color
   space, interlace image with 720-pixel width and 480-pixel height and
   several priority-table options (default, progression, layer,
   resolution, component) as below:

      v=0
      o=alice 2890844526 2890844526 IN IP4 host.anywhere.com
      s=
      c=IN IP4 host.anywhere.com

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 18]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

      t=0 0
      m=video 49170 RTP/AVP 98
      a=rtpmap:98 jpeg2000/90000
      a=fmtp:98 mhc=1;sampling= YCbCr-4:2:2;interlace=1
      a=fmtp:98 pt=default, progression,layer, resolution, component;
      width=720; height=480

   Bob accepts Main Header Compensation functionality, YCbCr-4:2:2 color
   space, interlace image, default mapping table and replies:

      v=0
      o=bob 2890844730 2890844731 IN IP4 host.example.com
      s=
      c=IN IP4 host.example.com
      t=0 0
      m=video 49920 RTP/AVP 98
      a=rtpmap:98 jpeg2000/90000
      a=fmtp:98 mhc=1; pt=default; width=720;height=480

8.1.2.  Example 2

   Alice offers Main Header Compensation, YCbCr 420 color space,
   progressive image with 320-pixel width and 240-pixel height and layer
   priority-table options as below:

      v=0
      o=alice 2890844526 2890844526 IN IP4 host.anywhere.com
      s=
      c=IN IP4 host.anywhere.com
      t=0 0
      m=video 49170 RTP/AVP 98
      a=rtpmap:98 jpeg2000/90000
      a=fmtp:98 mhc=1;sampling= YCbCr-4:2:0
      a=fmtp:98 pt=layer; width=320; height=240

   Bob does not accept Main Header Compensation functionality but
   accepts YCbCr-4:2:0 color space,layer based priority mapping and
   replies:

      v=0
      o=bob 2890844730 2890844731 IN IP4 host.example.com
      s=
      c=IN IP4 host.example.com
      t=0 0
      m=video 49920 RTP/AVP 98
      a=rtpmap:98 jpeg2000/90000
      a=fmtp:98 mhc=0;
      a=fmtp:98 pt=layer; width=320; height=240

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 19]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

9.  References

9.1.  Normative References

   [1]  Futemma, "RTP Payload Format for JPEG 2000 Video Streams",
        RFC XXXY, March 2006.

   [2]  Bradner, "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate Requirement
        Levels", RFC 2119, March 1997.

   [3]  ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29, ISO/IEC 15444-1 | ITU-T Rec. T.800,
        "Information Technology - JPEG 2000 Image Coding System -  Part
        1: Core Coding System", December 2000.

   [4]  Schulzrinne, Casner, Frederick, and Jacobson, "RTP: A Transport
        Protocol for Real Time Applications", RFC 3550, STD 64,
        July 2003.

   [5]  Baugher, McGrew, Naslund, Carrara, and Norrman, "The Secure
        Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP", RFC 3711, March 2004.

   [6]  Handley and Jacobson, "SDP: Session Description Protocol",
        RFC 2327, April 1998.

   [7]  Rosenberg and Schulzrinne, "An Offer/Answer Model with Session
        Description Protocol (SDP)", RFC 3264, June 2002.

   [8]  Freed and Klensin, "Media Type Specifications and Registration
        Procedures", RFC 4288, December 2005.

   [9]  Casner and Hoschka, "MIME Type Registration of RTP Payload
        Formats", RFC 3555, July 2003.

9.2.  Informative References

   [10]  Deering, "Host Extensions for IP Multicasting", RFC 1112,
         August 1989.

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 20]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

Appendix A.  Sample Headers in Detail

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |tp |MHF|mh_id|T|     priority  |           tile number         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |reserved       |             fragment offset                   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 2

   First Packet: This packet will have the whole main header. 210 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|1 1|1 0 1|1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF4FFF51002F000 ....                                           |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 3

   Second Packet: This packet will have a tile header and the first tile
   part LLband 1500 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|1 1|1 0 1|0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0000 0000 2DB3  0001 FF93                            |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 4

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 21]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

   Third Packet: This packet will have the next part in the tile, no
   tile header 1500 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 0|1 0 1|0|0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |E841 4526 4556 9850 C2EA  ....                                 |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 5

   Fourth Packet: Last packet for the image 290 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 0|1 0 1|0|0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |A55D 8B73 3B25 25C7 B9EB        ....                   2FBEB153|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 6

   First Packet: This packet will have the whole main header. 210 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|1 1|0 0 1|1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF4FFF51002F000 ....                                           |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 7

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 22]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

   Second Packet: This packet will have a first tile part (tile 0) 1400
   bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 0|0 0 1|0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0000 0000 0578  0001 FF93  ....                      |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 8

   Third Packet: This packet will have a second tile part (tile 1) 1423
   bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 0|0 0 1|0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0001 0000 058F 0001 FF93    ....                     |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 9

   Fourth Packet: This packet will have a third tile part (tile 2) 1355
   bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 0|0 0 1|0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0002 0000 054B 0001 FF93    ....                     |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 10

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 23]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

   Fifth Packet: This packet will have a fourth tile part (tile 3) 1290
   bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 0|0 0 1|0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0003 0000 050A 0001 FF93    ....                     |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 11

   First Packet: This packet will have the first part of the main
   header. 110 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 1|0 0 0|1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF4FFF51002F000 ....                                           |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 12

   Second Packet: This packet has the second part of the header. 1400
   bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|1 0|0 0 0|1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF6400FF ....                                                  |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 13

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 24]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

   Third Packet: This packet has two tiles, tile 0 and tile 1 1400 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 0|0 0 0|1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0000 0000 02BC 0001 FF93  ...                        |
   |FF90 000A 0001 0000 02BC 0001 FF93 ...                         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 14

   Fourth Packet: This packet has one tile, tile 2 1395 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 0|0 0 0|0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0002 0000 0573 0001 FF93    ....                     |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 15

   First packet: This packet will have the whole main header for the odd
   field 210 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 1|1 1|0 1 0|1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF4FFF51002F000 ....                                           |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 16

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 25]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

   Second packet: This packet will have the first part of the odd
   field's tile 1400 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 1|0 0|0 1 0|1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0000 0000 0578  0001 FF93  ....                      |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 17

   Third packet: This packet will have the second part of the odd
   field's tile 1400 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 1|0 0|0 1 0|1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |7F04 E708 27D9 D11D 22CB ...                                   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 18

   Fourth packet: This packet will have the third part of the odd
   field's tile 1300 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 1|0 0|0 1 0|1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |98BD EC9B 2826 DC62 D4AB ...                                   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 19

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 26]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

   Fifth packet: This packet will have the whole main header for the
   even field

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |1 0|1 1|0 1 1|1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF4FFF51002F000 ....                                           |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 20

   Sixth packet: This packet will have the first part of the odd field's
   tile 1400 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |1 0|0 0|0 1 0|1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0000 0000 0578  0001 FF93  ....                      |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 21

   Seventh packet: This packet will have the second part of the odd
   field's tile 1400 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |1 0|0 0|0 1 0|1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |626C 42F0 166B 6BD0 F8E1 ...                                   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 22

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 27]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

   Eighth packet: This packet will have the third part of the odd
   field's tile 1300 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |1 0|0 0|0 1 0|1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |8114 41D5 18AB 4A1B ...                                        |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 23

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 28]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

Authors' Addresses

   Andrew Leung
   Sony Corporation
   6-7-35 Kitashinagawa
   Shinagawa-ku
   Tokyo  141-0001
   Japan

   Phone: +81 3 5448 2125
   Email: [email-masked]
   URI:   http://www.sony.com/

   Satoshi Futemma
   Sony Corporation
   6-7-35 Kitashinagawa
   Shinagawa-ku
   Tokyo  141-0001
   Japan

   Phone: +81 3 5448 2125
   Email: [email-masked]
   URI:   http://www.sony.com/

   Eisaburo Itakura
   Sony Corporation
   6-7-35 Kitashinagawa
   Shinagawa-ku
   Tokyo  141-0001
   Japan

   Phone: +81 3 5448 2125
   Email: [email-masked]
   URI:   http://www.sony.com/

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 29]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

Intellectual Property Statement

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; neither does it represent that it
   has made any effort to identify any such rights.  Information on the
   IETF's procedures with respect to rights in standards-track and
   standards-related documentation can be found in BCP 11.  Copies of
   claims of rights made available for publication and any assurances of
   licenses to be made available, or the result of an attempt made to
   obtain a general license or permission for the use of such
   proprietary rights by implementors or users of this specification can
   be obtained from the IETF Secretariat.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights which may cover technology that may be required to practice
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF Executive
   Director.

Full Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2006).  All Rights Reserved.

   This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
   others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
   kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
   included on all such copies and derivative works.  However, this
   document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
   the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or other
   Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of
   developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
   copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
   followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
   English.

   The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
   revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assignees.

   This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING
   TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
   BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 30]

Internet-Draft              JPEG 2000 RTP EX                  March 2006

   HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
   MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Acknowledgment

   Funding for the RFC Editor function is currently provided by the
   Internet Society.

Leung, et al.          Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 31]


Audio Video Transport                                         S. Futemma
Internet-Draft                                                  A. Leung
Expires: September 14, 2006                                   E. Itakura
                                                                    Sony
                                                          March 13, 2006

             RTP Payload Format for JPEG 2000 Video Streams
                      draft-ietf-avt-rtp-jpeg2000

Status of this Memo

   By submitting this Internet-Draft, each author represents that any
   applicable patent or other IPR claims of which he or she is aware
   have been or will be disclosed, and any of which he or she becomes
   aware will be disclosed, in accordance with Section 6 of BCP 79.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This Internet-Draft will expire on September 14, 2006.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2006).

Abstract

   This memo describes an RTP payload format for the ISO/IEC
   International Standard 15444-1 | ITU-T Rec. T.800, otherwise better
   known as: JPEG 2000.  JPEG 2000 features are considered in the design
   of this payload format.  JPEG 2000 is a truly scalable compression
   technology allowing applications to encode once and decode many
   different ways.  JPEG 2000 video stream is formed by extending from a
   single image to a series of JPEG 2000 images.

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 1]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

Table of Contents

   1.  Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
     1.1.  Conventions Used in This Document  . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
   2.  JPEG 2000 Video Features . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
   3.  Payload Design . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
   4.  Payload Format . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
     4.1.  RTP Fixed Header Usage . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
     4.2.  RTP Payload Header Format  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
   5.  RTP Packetization  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
   6.  Security Consideration . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
   7.  Congestion Control . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
   8.  IANA Consideration . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17
     8.1.  Media Type Registration  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17
     8.2.  SDP Parameters . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19
   9.  Usage with the SDP Offer/Answer Model  . . . . . . . . . . . . 20
     9.1.  Examples . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21
   10. Intellectual Property Right Statement  . . . . . . . . . . . . 22
   11. References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23
     11.1. Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23
     11.2. Informative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23
   Appendix A.  Informative Appendix  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24
     A.1.  Recommended Practices  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24
     A.2.  Sample Headers in Detail . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25
   Authors' Addresses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 33
   Intellectual Property and Copyright Statements . . . . . . . . . . 34

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 2]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

1.  Introduction

   This document specifies a payload format for JPEG 2000 video streams
   over the Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP).  JPEG 2000 is an ISO/IEC
   International Standard and ITU-T Recommendation (ISO/IEC
   International Standard 15444-1 | ITU-T Rec. T.800) developed for next
   generation still image compression.  JPEG stands for the: Joint
   Photograhers Experts Group.  An international group made of academia
   and industry to develop image compression standards.  JPEG 2000 basic
   compression technology is described in detail in [1] with motion
   covered in: [9] .

   Part 3 of the JPEG 2000 standard defines Motion JPEG 2000 [9].
   However, Motion JPEG 2000 focuses on the file format and it does not
   specify the transmission format for the network.  This document
   specifies a transmission format for the network for a series of JPEG
   2000 images.

   JPEG 2000 supports many powerful features [1] & [9]that are not
   supported in the current JPEG standard such as:

   o  Higher compression efficiency than JPEG with less visual
      distortion especially at extreme compression ratios.

   o  A single codestream that offers both lossy and lossless
      compression.

   o  Better error resiliency than JPEG.

   o  Progressive transmission by pixel accuracy (SNR scalability) and
      resolution (resolution scalability.)

   o  Random codestream access and processing.

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 3]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

   The JPEG 2000 algorithm is briefly explained.  Figure 1 shows a block
   diagram of the JPEG 2000 encoding method.

                                                    +-----+
                                                    | ROI |
                                                    +-----+
                                                       |
                                                       V
                  +----------+   +----------+   +------------+
                  |DC, comp. |   | Wavelet  |   |            |
   Raw Image  ==> |transform-|==>|transform-|==>|Quantization|==+
                  |  ation   |   |  ation   |   |            |  |
                  +----------+   +----------+   +------------+  |
                                                                |
                 +-----------+   +----------+   +------------+  |
                 |           |   |          |   |            |  |
    JPEG 2000 <==| Data      |<==| Rate     |<==| EBCOT      |<=+
    codestream   | Ordering  |   | Control  |   |            |
                 +-----------+   +----------+   +------------+

   Figure 1: Block diagram of the JPEG 2000 encoder

   The image is transformed into wavelet coefficients.  The image is
   sampled into various levels usually vertically and horizontally from
   high frequencies (which contain sharp details) to low frequencies
   (which contain smooth areas.)  Quantization is performed on the
   coefficients within each sub-band.

   After quantization, code blocks are formed from within the precincts
   within the tiles.  Precincts are a finer separation than tiles and
   code blocks are the smallest separation of the image data.  EBCOT
   coding (Embedded Block Coding Optimized for Truncation) is performed
   within each code block and arithmetically encoded by bit plane.  Rate
   control is performed to achieve the highest quality image for a
   specified rate.

   As a result, for a given tile, data units called JPEG 2000 packets
   are generated, which contain data from a specific layer, a specific
   component, a specific resolution, and a specific precinct.

   Finally, for data ordering, the JPEG 2000 packets are interleaved
   according to the progression along four axes: layer, resolution,
   component and precinct, and add a JPEG 2000 header to become a fully
   compliant JPEG 2000 codestream.

   To decompress a JPEG 2000 codestream, one would follow the reverse

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 4]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

   order of the encoding order, minus the quantization, rate control,
   and data ordering step.

   It is outside the scope of this document to further describe in
   detail this procedure.  Please refer to various JPEG 2000 texts for
   further details [1].

   Figure 2 shows a JPEG 2000 codestream in detail.  A JPEG 2000
   codestream is structured from the main header beginning with the SOC
   (Start Of Codestream) marker, one or more tiles, and the EOC (End Of
   Codestream) marker to indicate the end of the codestream.  Each tile
   consists of a tile-part header that starts with the SOT (Start of
   Tile) marker and ends with a SOD (Start of Data) marker, and
   bitstream (a series of JPEG 2000 packet.)

           +--  +------------+
     Main  |    |    SOC     |  Required as the first marker.
     header|    +------------+
           |    |    main    |  Main header marker segments
           +--  +------------+
           |    |    SOT     |  Required at the beginning of each
     Tile- |    +------------+    tile-part header.
     part  |    |   T0,TP0   |  Tile 0, tile-part 0 header marker
     header|    +------------+    segments
           |    |    SOD     |  Required at the end of each tile-part
           +--  +------------+    header
                | bitstream  |  Tile-part bitstream
           +--  +------------+
           |    |    SOT     |
     Tile- |    +------------+
     part  |    |   T1,TP0   |
     header|    +------------+
           |    |    SOD     |
           +--  +------------+
                | bit stream |
                +------------+
                      .
                      .
                      .
                +------------+
                |    EOC     |  Required as the last marker in the code
                +------------+  stream

   Figure 2: Basic construction of the JPEG 2000 codestream

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 5]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

1.1.  Conventions Used in This Document

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
   document are to be interpreted as described in RFC2119 [2].

   RFC-Editor Note: The RFC Editor is requested to replace all
   occurrences of RFC XXXX with the RFC number
   draft-ietf-avt-rtp-jpeg2000-beam receives.  At that time please
   remove this note.

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 6]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

2.  JPEG 2000 Video Features

   JPEG 2000 video streams are formed as a continuous series of JPEG
   2000 still images.  Previously described features of JPEG 2000 may be
   used effectively in streaming applications for JPEG 2000 video.  A
   JPEG 2000 video stream has the following qualities:

   o  At low bit rates, the SNR is improved dramatically over JPEG and
      Motion JPEG.

   o  This is a full intra frame format - each frame is independently
      compressed - and therefore has a low encoding and decoding delay.

   o  JPEG 2000 has flexible and accurate rate control.

   o  This is suitable for traffic control and congestion control during
      network transmission.

   o  JPEG 2000 can provide its own codestream error resilience markers
      to aid in codestream recovery outside of this specification.

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 7]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

3.  Payload Design

   To design a payload format that maximizes JPEG 2000 features, the
   following are taken into consideration:

   o  Provisions for packet loss:

      On the Internet, 5% packet loss is common and this percentage may
      vary, upto 20% or more.  To split JPEG 2000 video streams into RTP
      packets, efficient packetization of the code stream is required to
      minimize problems in decoding due to missing packets.  If the main
      header is lost, the image cannot be decoded.

   o  JPEG 2000 Scalability

      JPEG 2000 has powerful scalability features and markers in the
      payload header are to indicate specific meaning of the payload.
      Such as:

      *  Since this is primarily for video applications, special markers
         are used to indicate format (i.e. interlace odd/even fields).

      *  Special markers for the headers, fragment of headers, etc.

      *  Tile numbering for association of packets

      *  Priority importance of the packet using methods described in
         RFC XXXX [11].

      *  Main header recovery using methods described in RFC XXXX [11].

      Additional usage of the payload header is described in RFC XXXX
      [11].

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 8]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

4.  Payload Format

4.1.  RTP Fixed Header Usage

   For each RTP packet, the RTP fixed header is followed by the JPEG
   2000 RTP payload header, which is followed by the payload, a piece of
   a JPEG 2000 codestream.

   The RTP header fields that have a meaning specific to a JPEG 2000
   video stream are described as follows:

   Marker bit (M): The marker bit of the RTP fixed header MUST be set to
      1 on the last RTP packet of a video frame, otherwise, it MUST be
      0.  When transmission is performed by multiple RTP sessions, this
      bit is 1 in the last packet of the frame in each session.

   Payload type (PT): The payload type is dynamically assigned by means
      outside the scope of this document.  A payload type in the dynamic
      range shall be chosen by means of an out of band signaling
      protocol (e.g., RTSP, SIP, etc.)

   Timestamp: The RTP timestamp are in units of 90 kHz.  The same
      timestamp value MUST appear in each RTP packet carrying a fragment
      of a given frame.  When a JPEG 2000 image is in interlace format,
      the odd field and the corresponding even field MUST have the same
      timestamp value.  The initial value of the timestamp is to be
      random to counter known plaintext attacks on encryption.

4.2.  RTP Payload Header Format

   The RTP payload header format for JPEG 2000 video stream is as
   follows:

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |tp |MHF|mh_id|T|     priority  |           tile number         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |reserved       |             fragment offset                   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 3: RTP payload header format for JPEG 2000

   tp (type) : 2 bits

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006               [Page 9]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

      This field indicates how a JPEG 2000 image is scanned (progressive
      or interlace).

         0: The payload is progressively scanned.

         1: The payload is part of an odd field of an interlaced video
         signal.  The height specified in the JPEG 2000 main header is
         half of the height of the entire displayed image.  In a
         receiver, an odd field should be de-interlaced with the even
         field following it so that lines from each image are displayed
         alternately.

         2: The payload is part of an even field of an interlaced video
         signal.

   MHF (Main Header Flag) : 2 bits

      MHF indicates whether a main header or piece of a main header is
      in the RTP packet.

       If there is no header, MHF has a value of 0.  If there is just a
       part of a fragmented header, MHF has a value of 1.  If there is
      the last part of a fragmented header, MHF has value of 2.  If the
              whole header in the packet, MHF has a value of 3.

             +-----------+----------------------------------+
             | MHF Value | Description                      |
             +-----------+----------------------------------+
             |     0     | no main header in the payload    |
             |           |                                  |
             |     1     | piece of fragmented header       |
             |           |                                  |
             |     2     | last part of a fragmented header |
             |           |                                  |
             |     3     | a whole main header              |
             +-----------+----------------------------------+

                          Table 1: MHF Usage Values

   mh_id (Main Header Identification) : 3 bits

      Main header identification value.  This is used for JPEG 2000 main
      header recovery.

      For implementations following only this specification, the sender
      SHOULD set this value to 0 and the receiver SHOULD ignore this
      field on processing.

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 10]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

      Additional usage of this header is described in further detail in
      supplmental RFC draft: RTP Payload format for JPEG 2000:
      Extensions for Scalability and Main Header Recovery.  Please
      consult RFC XXXX [11]

   T (Tile field invalidation flag) : 1 bit

      The T bit indicates whether the tile number field is valid or
      invalid.  A sender MUST set the T bit to 1 when invalid and 0 when
      valid.

      There are two cases where the tile number field is invalid:

      *  When an RTP packet holds only the main header.  A sender cannot
         set any number in the tile number field as no JPEG 2000 tile-
         part bitstream is included in the RTP packet.

      *  Multiple tile-parts are packed together in a single payload.
         If there are multiple tiles packed into a single payload, there
         is no meaning to assign a number to the tile number field.

   priority : 8 bits

      The priority field indicates the importance of the JPEG 2000
      packet included in the payload.  Typically, a higher priority is
      set in the packets containing JPEG 2000 packets containing the
      lower sub-bands.

      For implementations following only this specification, the sender
      SHOULD set this value to 255 and the receiver SHOULD ignore this
      field on processing.

   tile number : 16 bits

      This field shows the tile number of the payload.  This field is
      only valid when the T bit is 0.  If T bit is set to 1, the
      receiver MUST ignore this field.

      Usage of this header is described in further detail in supplmental
      RFC draft: RTP Payload format for JPEG 2000: Extensions for
      Scalability and Main Header Recovery.  Please consult RFC XXXX
      [11]

   R (Reserved) : 8 bits

      This bit is reserved for future use.  Senders MUST set this to 0.
      Receivers MUST ignore this field.

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 11]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

   fragment offset : 24 bits

      This value MUST be set to the byte offset of the current payload
      in relation to the very beginning of each JPEG 2000 codestream
      (JPEG 2000 frame).

      Byte offsets are calculated from the start of each JPEG 2000
      codestream up to the current position where the current payload
      would fit into the complete JPEG 2000 codestream.

      To perform scalable video delivery by using multiple RTP sessions,
      the offset value from the first byte of the same frame is set for
      fragment offset.  It is then possible, to deliver layered video
      using multiple RTP sessions, the fragment offset may not start
      from 0 in some RTP sessions even if the packet is the first one
      received.

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 12]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

5.  RTP Packetization

   The sender must packetize the JPEG 2000 appropriately according to
   initial media type parameters and/or details from SDP offer/answer
   parameters.

   A "packetization unit" is defined as either a JPEG 2000 main header,
   a tile-part header, or a JPEG 2000 packet.

   First, a sender divides the JPEG 2000 codestream into packetization
   units by parsing the codestream or by getting information from the
   encoder, and packs the packetization units into RTP packets.  A
   sender can put an arbitrary number of packetization units into an RTP
   packet, but it MUST preserve the codestream order.  An example of
   this kind of RTP packet format is shown in Figure 4:

   +------+-------+---------------+---------------+
   |RTP   |payload| packetization | packetization |
   |header|header | unit          | unit          |
   +------+-------+---------------+---------------+

   Figure 4: An example with multiple packetization units

   If a packetization unit with headers (IP header, RTP header and
   payload header) is larger than the MTU size, it MAY be fragmented.
   To pack a fragmented packetization unit, the fragmented unit MUST NOT
   be packed with the succeeding packetization unit within the same RTP
   packet.  An example of this kind of RTP packet format is shown in
   Figure 5:

   +------+-------+-------------------------------------------------+
   |RTP   |payload| packetization unit fragment                     |
   |header|header |                                                 |
   +------+-------+-------------------------------------------------+
   +------+-------+-------------------------------------------------+
   |RTP   |payload| packetization unit fragment                     |
   |header|header |                                                 |
   +------+-------+-------------------------------------------------+
              .
              .
              .
   +------+-------+--------------------------------------------+
   |RTP   |payload| end of packetization unit fragment         |
   |header|header |                                            |
   +------+-------+--------------------------------------------+

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 13]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

   Figure 5: An example with a fragmented packetization unit

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 14]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

6.  Security Consideration

   RTP packets using the payload format defined in this specification
   are subject to the security considerations discussed in the RTP
   specification [3], and in any applicable RTP profile.  The main
   security considerations for the RTP packet carrying the RTP payload
   format defined within this memo are confidentiality, integrity and
   source authenticity.  Confidentiality is achieved by encryption of
   the RTP payload.  Integrity of the RTP packets through suitable
   cryptographic integrity protection mechanism.  Cryptographic system
   may also allow the authentication of the source of the payload.  A
   suitable security mechanism for this RTP payload format should
   provide confidentialty and integrity protection and at least source
   authentication capable of determining if an RTP packet is from a
   member of the RTP session or not.

   Note that the appropriate mechanism to provide security to RTP and
   payloads following this memo may vary.  It is dependent on the
   application, the transport, and the signalling protocol employed.
   Therefore a single mechanism is not sufficient, although if suitable
   the usage of SRTP [4] is recommended.  Other mechanism that may be
   used are IPsec [12] and TLS [13] (RTP over TCP), but also other
   alternatives may exist.

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 15]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

7.  Congestion Control

   If QoS enhanced service is used, RTP receivers SHOULD monitor packet
   loss to ensure that the service that was requested is actually being
   delivered.  If it is not, then they SHOULD assume that they are
   receiving best-effort service and behave accordingly.

   If best-effort service is being used, users of this payload format
   MUST monitor packet loss to ensure that the packet loss rate is
   within acceptable parameters.  Packet loss is considered acceptable
   if a TCP flow across the same network path, experiencing the same
   network conditions, would achieve an average throughput, measured on
   a reasonable timescale, that is not less than the RTP flow is
   achieving.  This condition can be satisfied by implementing
   congestion control mechanisms to adapt the transmission rate (or the
   number of layers subscribed for a layered multicast session), or by
   arranging for a receiver to leave the session if the loss rate is
   unacceptably high.

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 16]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

8.  IANA Consideration

8.1.  Media Type Registration

   This registration uses the template defined in [7] and follows [8].

   Type name: video

   Subtype name: jpeg2000

   Required parameters:

      sampling: A list of values specifying the color space of the
      payload data.

      Acceptable values:

         RGB: standard Red, Green, Blue color space.

         BGR: standard Blue, Green, Red color space.

         RGBA: standard Red, Green, Blue, Alpha color space.

         BGRA: standard Blue, Green, Red, Alpha color space.

         YCbCr-4:4:4: standard YCbCr color space, no subsampling.

         YCbCr-4:2:2: standard YCbCr color space, Cb and Cr are
            subsampled horizontally by 1/2.

         YCbCr-4:2:0: standard YCbCr color space, Cb and Cr are
            subsampled horizontally and vertically by 1/2.

         YCbCr-4:1:1: standard YCbCr color space, Cb and Cr are
            subsampled vertically by 1/4

         GRAYSCALE: basically a single component image of just
            multilevels of grey.

         EXTENSION VALUE: Additional color samplings can be registered
            with and current listing of registered color samplings at:
            Color Sampling Registration Authority.

   Optional parameters:

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 17]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

      interlace: interlace scanning.  If payload is in interlace format,
         the acceptable value is "1", otherwise, the value should be
         "0".  Each complete image forms vertically half the display. tp
         value MUST properly specify the field the image represents
         odd(tp=1), or even(tp=2).  If this option is not present, the
         payload MUST be in progressive format and tp MUST be set to 0.

      width: A parameter describing the maximum width of the video
         stream.  This parameter MUST appear when height is present.
         Acceptable values: - an integer value between 0 -
         4,294,967,295.

      height: A parameter describing the maximum height of the video
         stream.  This parameter MUST appear when width is present.
         Acceptable values: - an integer value between 0 -
         4,294,967,295.

   The receiver MUST ignore any unspecified parameters.

   Encoding considerations:

      This media type is framed and binary, see Section 4.8 in [7]

   Security considerations: See section Section 6 of this document.

   Interoperability considerations:

      JPEG 2000 video stream is a sequence of JPEG 2000 still images.
      An implementation in compliant with [1] can decode and attempt to
      display the encoded JPEG 2000 video stream.

   Published specification: ISO/IEC 15444-1 | ITU-T Rec. T.800

   Applic ations which use this media type:

      video streaming and communication

   Person and email address to contact for further information:

      Eisaburo Itakura, Satoshi Futemma, Andrew Leung
      Email: [email-masked], [email-masked]

   Intended usage: Restriction

      Restrictions on Usage:

         This media type depends on RTP framing, and hence is only
         defined for the transfer via RTP [3].  Transport within other

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 18]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

         framing protocols is not defined at the time.

   Author/Change Controller:

      Author:

         Eisaburo Itakura, Satoshi Futemma
         Email: {itakura|satosi-f} @sm.sony.co.jp

      Change controller:

         IETF Audio/Video Transport Working Group delegated from the
         IESG

8.2.  SDP Parameters

   The media type video/jpeg2000 string is mapped to fields in the
   Session Description Protocol (SDP) [5] as follows:

   o  The media name in the "m=" line of SDP MUST be video.

   o  The encoding name in the "a=rtpmap" line of SDP MUST be jpeg2000
      (the subtype).

   o  The clock rate in the "a=rtpmap" line MUST be 90000.

   o  The REQUIRED parameters "sampling", MUST be included in the
      "a=fmtp" line of SDP.

   o  The OPTIONAL parameters "width", and "height", when present, MUST
      be included in the "a=fmtp" line of SDP.

   These parameters are expressed as a media type string, in the form of
   a semicolon separated list of parameter=value pairs.

   Therefore, an example of media representation in SDP using typical
   parameters is as follows:

      m=video 49170/2 RTP/AVP 98
      a=rtpmap:98 jpeg2000/90000
      a=fmtp:98 sampling=YCbCr-4:2:0;width=128; height=128

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 19]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

9.  Usage with the SDP Offer/Answer Model

   When offering JPEG 2000 over RTP using SDP in an Offer/Answer model
   [6], the following rules and limitations apply:

   o  All parameters MUST have an acceptable value for the parameter.

   o  All parameters MUST correspond to the parameters of the payload.

   o  The parameter "sampling" with an acceptable answer MUST appear in
      the offer and not in the answer if accepted by the receiver.  The
      receiver SHOULD do its best to handle received codestream in the
      color space offered.  If the receiver cannot handle the offered
      color space for whatever reason, it should answer with its
      preferred color space and gracefully end the session.  Senders do
      not need conform to the color space in the answer but should take
      note that the session ended due to color sampling issues.

   o  For optional parameter: "interlace", if this option is used, it
      MUST appear in the offer and if accepted it should not appear in
      the answer.  Receivers should do their best to handle interlace or
      progressive codestreams but if for some reason, receivers cannot
      accomodate, receivers should answer with preferred settings then
      gracefully end the session.  Senders do not need to adjust
      settings upon this answer but should take note that the session
      ended due to interlace or progressive issues.

   o  For optional parameters "width" and "height" the following
      applies:

      *  if "width" appears in the offer or answer, "height" MUST be
         present.

      *  if "height" appears in the offer or answer, "width" MUST be
         present.

   o  Width and height should appear in the offer as the maximum
      dimensions the sender can offer.  In the answer, it should
      represent the maximum the receiver can accomodate.  If there is a
      difference between the offer and answer, the sender should re-
      offer a new width and height and appropriately scale down the
      codestream for the receiver.

   o  In a multicast environment, receivers should do their best to
      conform to parameters in the offer from the sender.  Senders
      should use recommended settings in multicast environments and take
      note of answers.  For width and height, the sender should
      accomodate to the lowest values it receives from all answers.

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 20]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

   o  Any unknown options in the Offer should be ignored and deleted
      from the Answer.

9.1.  Examples

   An example offer/answer exchanges are provided.

   Alice offers YCbCr 4:2:2 color space, interlace image with 720-pixel
   width and 480-pixel height as below:

      v=0
      o=alice 2890844526 2890844526 IN IP4 host.anywhere.com
      s=
      c=IN IP4 host.anywhere.com
      t=0 0
      m=video 49170 RTP/AVP 98
      a=rtpmap:98 jpeg2000/90000
      a=fmtp:98 sampling=YCbCr-4:2:2; interlace=1
      a=fmtp:98 width=720; height=480

   Bob accepts YCbCr-4:2:2 color space, interlace image and replies:

      v=0
      o=bob 2890844730 2890844731 IN IP4 host.example.com
      s=
      c=IN IP4 host.example.com
      t=0 0
      m=video 49920 RTP/AVP 98
      a=rtpmap:98 jpeg2000/90000
      a=fmtp:98 width=720; height=480

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 21]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

10.  Intellectual Property Right Statement

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   Intellectual Property Rights or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; nor does it represent that it has
   made any independent effort to identify any such rights.  Information
   on the procedures with respect to rights in RFC documents can be
   found in BCP 78 and BCP 79.

   Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat and any
   assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result of an
   attempt made to obtain a general license or permission for the use of
   such proprietary rights by implementers or users of this
   specification can be obtained from the IETF on-line IPR repository at
   http://www.ietf.org/ipr.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights that may cover technology that may be required to implement
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF at
   [email-masked].

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 22]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

11.  References

11.1.  Normative References

   [1]  ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29, ISO/IEC 15444-1 | ITU-T Rec. T.800,
        "Information Technology - JPEG 2000 Image Coding System - Part
        1: Core Coding System", December 2000.

   [2]  Bradner, "Key words for use in RFCs to Indicate Requirement
        Levels", RFC 2119, March 1997.

   [3]  Schulzrinne, Casner, Frederick, and Jacobson, "RTP: A Transport
        Protocol for Real Time Applications", RFC 3550, STD 64,
        July 2003.

   [4]  Baugher, McGrew, Naslund, Carrara, and Norrman, "The Secure
        Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP", RFC 3711, March 2004.

   [5]  Handley and Jacobson, "SDP: Session Description Protocol",
        RFC 2327, April 1998.

   [6]  Rosenberg and Schulzrinne, "An Offer/Answer Model with Session
        Description Protocol (SDP)", RFC 3264, June 2002.

   [7]  Freed and Klensin, "Media Type Specifications and Registration
        Procedures", RFC 4288, December 2005.

   [8]  Casner and Hoschka, "MIME Type Registration of RTP Payload
        Formats", RFC 3555, July 2003.

11.2.  Informative References

   [9]   ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29, ISO/IEC 15444-1 | ITU-T Rec. T.800,
         "Information Technology - JPEG 2000 Image Coding System -  Part
         3: Motion JPEG 2000", July 2002.

   [10]  Deering, "Host Extensions for IP Multicasting", RFC 1112,
         August 1989.

   [11]  Leung, Futemma, and Itakura, "RTP Payload format for JPEG 2000:
         Extensions for  Scalability and Main Header Recovery",
         RFC XXXX, August 2006.

   [12]  Kent and Seo, "Security Architecture for the Internet
         Protocol", RFC 4301, December 2005.

   [13]  Dierks and Allen, "The TLS Protocol", RFC 2246, January 1999.

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 23]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

Appendix A.  Informative Appendix

A.1.  Recommended Practices

   As the JPEG 2000 coding standard is highly flexible, many different
   but compliant data streams may be produced and be a compliant JPEG
   2000 codestream.

   The following is a set of recommendations set forth from our
   experience in developing JPEG 2000 and this payload specification.
   Implementations of this standard must handle all possibilities
   mentioned in this specification.  The following is a listing of items
   an implementation may optimize.

   Error Resilience Markers: The use of error resilience markers in the
      JPEG 2000 data stream is highly recommended in all situations.
      Error recovery with these markers is helpful to the decoder and
      save external resources.  Markers such as: RESET, RESTART, and
      ERTERM.

   YCbCr Color space: The YCbCr color space provides the greatest amount
      of compression in color with respect to the human visual system.
      When used with JPEG 2000, the usage of this color space can
      provide excellent visual results at extreme bit rates.

   Progression Ordering: JPEG 2000 offers many different ways to order
      the final code stream to optimize the transfer with the
      presentation.  The most useful ordering in our usage cases have
      been for layer progression and resolution progression ordering.

   Tiling and Packets: JPEG 2000 packets are formed regardless of the
      encoding method.  The encoder has little control over the size of
      these JPEG 2000 packets as they maybe large or small.
      Tiling splits the image up into smaller areas and each are encoded
      separately.  With tiles, the JPEG 2000 packet sizes are also
      reduced.  When using tiling, almost all JPEG 2000 packet sizes are
      an acceptable size (i.e. smaller than the MTU size of most
      networks.)

   Sender Processing: There are no limitations as to how the sender
      should pack the payload.  In general, the sender should pack
      headers separately from the rest of the codestream to make header
      recovery simple.  Payloads should generally begin with an SOP
      marker and end with EPH marker for easier decoder processing.

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 24]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

A.2.  Sample Headers in Detail

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |tp |MHF|mh_id|T|     priority  |           tile number         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |reserved       |             fragment offset                   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 6

   First Packet: This packet will have the whole main header. 210 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|1 1|0 0 0|1|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF4FFF51002F000 ....                                           |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 7

   Second Packet: This packet will have a tile header and the first tile
   part LLband 1500 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|1 1|0 0 0|0|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0000 0000 2DB3  0001 FF93                            |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 8

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 25]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

   Third Packet: This packet will have the next part in the tile, no
   tile header 1500 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 0|0 0 0|0|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |E841 4526 4556 9850 C2EA  ....                                 |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 9

   Fourth Packet: Last packet for the image 290 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 0|0 0 0|0|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |A55D 8B73 3B25 25C7 B9EB        ....                   2FBEB153|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 10

   First Packet: This packet will have the whole main header. 210 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|1 1|0 0 0|1|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF4FFF51002F000 ....                                           |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 11

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 26]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

   Second Packet: This packet will have a first tile part (tile 0) 1400
   bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 0|0 0 0|0|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0000 0000 0578  0001 FF93  ....                      |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 12

   Third Packet: This packet will have a second tile part (tile 1) 1423
   bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 0|0 0 0|0|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0001 0000 058F 0001 FF93    ....                     |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 13

   Fourth Packet: This packet will have a third tile part (tile 2) 1355
   bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 0|0 0 0|0|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0002 0000 054B 0001 FF93    ....                     |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 14

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 27]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

   Fifth Packet: This packet will have a fourth tile part (tile 3) 1290
   bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 0|0 0 0|0|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0003 0000 050A 0001 FF93    ....                     |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 15

   First Packet: This packet will have the first part of the main
   header. 110 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 1|0 0 0|1|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF4FFF51002F000 ....                                           |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 16

   Second Packet: This packet has the second part of the header. 1400
   bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|1 0|0 0 0|1|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF6400FF ....                                                  |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 17

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 28]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

   Third Packet: This packet has two tiles, tile 0 and tile 1 1400 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 0|0 0 0|1|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0000 0000 02BC 0001 FF93  ...                        |
   |FF90 000A 0001 0000 02BC 0001 FF93 ...                         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 18

   Fourth Packet: This packet has one tile, tile 2 1395 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0|0 0|0 0 0|0|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0002 0000 0573 0001 FF93    ....                     |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 19

   First packet: This packet will have the whole main header for the odd
   field 210 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 1|1 1|0 0 0|1|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF4FFF51002F000 ....                                           |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 20

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 29]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

   Second packet: This packet will have the first part of the odd
   field's tile 1400 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 1|0 0|0 0 0|1|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0000 0000 0578  0001 FF93  ....                      |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 21

   Third packet: This packet will have the second part of the odd
   field's tile 1400 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 1|0 0|0 0 0|1|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |7F04 E708 27D9 D11D 22CB ...                                   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 22

   Fourth packet: This packet will have the third part of the odd
   field's tile 1300 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 1|0 0|0 0 0|1|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |98BD EC9B 2826 DC62 D4AB ...                                   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 23

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 30]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

   Fifth packet: This packet will have the whole main header for the
   even field

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |1 0|1 1|0 0 0|1|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF4FFF51002F000 ....                                           |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 24

   Sixth packet: This packet will have the first part of the odd field's
   tile 1400 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |1 0|0 0|0 0 0|1|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |FF90 000A 0000 0000 0578  0001 FF93  ....                      |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 25

   Seventh packet: This packet will have the second part of the odd
   field's tile 1400 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |1 0|0 0|0 0 0|1|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |626C 42F0 166B 6BD0 F8E1 ...                                   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 26

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 31]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

   Eighth packet: This packet will have the third part of the odd
   field's tile 1300 bytes

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |1 0|0 0|0 0 0|1|1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0|0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0|
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |8114 41D5 18AB 4A1B ...                                        |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Figure 27

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 32]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

Authors' Addresses

   Satoshi Futemma
   Sony Corporation
   6-7-35 Kitashinagawa
   Shinagawa-ku
   Tokyo  141-0001
   Japan

   Phone: +81 3 5448 2125
   Email: [email-masked]
   URI:   http://www.sony.com/

   Andrew Leung
   Sony Corporation
   6-7-35 Kitashinagawa
   Shinagawa-ku
   Tokyo  141-0001
   Japan

   Phone: +81 3 5448 2125
   Email: andrew @ ualberta . net
   URI:   http://www.sony.com/

   Eisaburo Itakura
   Sony Corporation
   6-7-35 Kitashinagawa
   Shinagawa-ku
   Tokyo  141-0001
   Japan

   Phone: +81 3 5448 2125
   Email: [email-masked]
   URI:   http://www.sony.com/

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 33]

Internet-Draft                JPEG 2000 RTP                   March 2006

Intellectual Property Statement

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   Intellectual Property Rights or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; nor does it represent that it has
   made any independent effort to identify any such rights.  Information
   on the procedures with respect to rights in RFC documents can be
   found in BCP 78 and BCP 79.

   Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat and any
   assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result of an
   attempt made to obtain a general license or permission for the use of
   such proprietary rights by implementers or users of this
   specification can be obtained from the IETF on-line IPR repository at
   http://www.ietf.org/ipr.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights that may cover technology that may be required to implement
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF at
   [email-masked].

Disclaimer of Validity

   This document and the information contained herein are provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE REPRESENTS
   OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET
   ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
   INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE
   INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED
   WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2006).  This document is subject
   to the rights, licenses and restrictions contained in BCP 78, and
   except as set forth therein, the authors retain all their rights.

Acknowledgment

   Funding for the RFC Editor function is currently provided by the
   Internet Society.

Futemma, et al.        Expires September 14, 2006              [Page 34]


_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 18:36:20 +0200

>   we would like some help in this area.

As I understand it there will be multiple tables defined by the beam
draft that needs identifiers. If that is the case I think it is best to
define a registry and allow it to be extended in the future. Please
review draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis-04

>   Should we be using another? I cannot find any good reference

You should use "full3978". Please review RFC 3978 and RFC 3979 for more
information what that means.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 19:39:06 +0100

>   for color sampling and extensions ?

Yes.

>   Having a "depth" option may be useful for us as well.

Okay. This would be something to define in your draft.

...
> - Offer/Answer has been updated with clearer usage. Please review.

Did you submit the updates to [email-masked]? If not,  
please do so, then I will review.

Colin