Subject: [AVT] Call for Participation - Performance Control in Wireless Sensor Networks, Networking2006

From: "Jorge Sa Silva" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:19:22 +0100

Call for Participation
 
--------------------------------------------------
Performance Control in Wireless Sensor Networks,
a Workshop at the 2006 IFIP Networking Conference.
--------------------------------------------------

Networking 2006 will take place at the University of
Coimbra, Portugal, between May 15 and May 19.
 
Detailed information
====================
http://networking2006.dei.uc.pt/workshops.htm

Goal and Overview
==================
The Performance Control in Wireless Sensor Networks Workshop will be a
full-day, peer-reviewed workshop on Friday, May 19, 2006. The aim of the
workshop is to bring together professionals from academia and industry to
discuss performance issues in wireless sensor networks. 
Wireless sensor networks are currently the subject of intense research and
many prototype installations are currently investigated. These existing
sensor network installations have in common that they are not considered
time critical. No immediate action has to be undertaken as a response to the
received data. However, many future application areas of wireless sensor
networks such as plant automation and control, traffic management or medical
applications require this feature. In such environments, data has to be
transported reliable and in time through the sensor network. In other words,
performance guarantees regarding a variety of network parameters are
required. Due to the lack of appropriate models, components and protocols it
is currently very difficult to construct and operate a wireless sensor
network with a controlled performance. Thus, the commercial success of
wireless sensor networks in many application areas is unsure unless this
particular problem is understood and solved.
 
Topics of Interest Include:
===========================
This workshop intends to bring together researchers and practitioners,
working on performance issues within wireless sensor networks. Areas of
interest include, but are not limited to:
 
   * Models: Traffic models, channel models, mathematical models to
     balance performance parameters in the network.
   * MAC protocols: MAC protocols with deterministic behaviour, MAC
     protocols to balance forwarding performance and energy consumption.
   * Routing and topology control: Methods to stabilize network
     topology, topology robustness.
   * Data transport: Control of data transport delay and reliability,
     methods to improve data forwarding performance in sensor networks.
   * Operating systems: Performance optimization and control of
     sensor network operating systems.
   * Middleware and frameworks: Middleware/frameworks providing
     performance guarantees for sensor network applications.
   * Security: The impact of security features on network performance.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt