Subject: [AVT] Re: avt Digest, Vol 30, Issue 26

From: Michael Johas Teener <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:52:44 -0700

On 10/26/06 2:16 PM, John Lazzaro <[email-masked]> wrote:

> That's part of why the IEEE folks seem to be coming to talk to us --
> they want to use RTP, but they also want to provide timing and
> other services related to media at Layer 2, and they want to
> figure out a sensible way of integration that keeps the benefits
> of adding Layer 2 timing services.  We should help them do that,
> otherwise we shouldn't be surprised if they design their own media
> transport protocol to use instead of RTP, that handles this problem
> by its design.

Yep, exactly. There are already enough of these kind of media transport
protocols around on non-802 nets, and they aren't going away. For example,
on IEEE 1394 (FireWire) they use the IEC 61883 family of protocols to
provide time-stamping/media-presentation/metadata services. There are
simpler (although somewhat convoluted and proprietary) methods used for
telecom adaptions of Ethernet.

Perhaps, with a bit of thought on everyone's part, we could move these
streams onto an RTP-based architecture *if* we can provide the same kind of
very low latency and largely hardware-driven data pumps. I think it's highly
probable that we can do this, and that's why I'm coming to the IETF.

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------
         Michael D. Johas Teener ‹ [email-masked]
office +1-408-922-7542 cell +1-831-247-9666 fax +1-831-480-5845
  http://xri.net/=Michael.Johas.Teener - PGP ID 0x3179D202
---------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt