Subject: Re: [AVT] Re: Layer 2 synchronization and clock

From: lazzaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 16:25:57 -0700

Randell Jesup <rjesup at wgate.com> wrote:

> Why do you need to use this network-generated clock for sampling  
> directly,
> and not a local clock synchronized between devices?

If the devices are only connected by the network ... how else are the
local devices going to synchronize?  NTP is not designed to work for
the synchronization timing that we're talking about here (sub-sample
audio for high audio sample rates).

Think about products like wireless stereo speakers with an antenna on  
each
speaker -- unlike today's products where a wire connects the two  
speakers. How
else  will those two speakers synchronize to sub-sample level if not  
via the network?
And PoE stereo speakers have the same issue, so its not only wireless.

---
John Lazzaro
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro
lazzaro [at] cs [dot] berkeley [dot] edu
---

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt