Subject: [AVT] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-rtp-no-op-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: A No-Op Payload Format for RTP
	Author(s)	: F. Andreasen, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-rtp-no-op-01.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2007-4-5
	
This document defines an no-op payload format for the Real-time
   Transport Protocol (RTP).  This packet is not played out by
   receivers.  It can be useful as a way to keep Network Address
   Translator (NAT) bindings and Firewall pinholes open.  Other uses are
   discussed in the document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-no-op-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-avt-rtp-no-op-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-no-op-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:36:44 +0100

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-no-op-01.txt

This revision looks good, except that it still uses the old MIME  
registration template, rather than following (and referencing) RFC  
4855. If you can update it to correct this, and possibly also add an  
informative reference to the RTP and RTCP multiplexing draft as an  
alternative keep alive mechanism, then I think this would be ready  
for working group last call.

-- 
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:57:53 -0700

> 4855.

Sorry about that, I wasn't aware of the new MIME registration RFC.  I have
corrected that and will submit -02.

> If you can update it to correct this, and possibly also add an  

I added this to the end of the introduction:

      Multiplexing RTP and RTCP over the same port 
      <xref target="I-D.ietf-avt-rtp-and-rtcp-mux"></xref> provides a
      separate keepalive mechanism which uses the periodic RTCP 
      transmission to keep middleboxes aware of the flow.

draft-marjou-behave-app-rtp-keepalive-01 compares the various keepalive
techniques; perhaps that might be a useful AVT WG document?

-d

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 10:44:31 +0100

On 13 Apr 2007, at 18:57, Dan Wing wrote:
> Sorry about that, I wasn't aware of the new MIME registration RFC.   
> I have corrected that and will submit -02.
>

Yes, I think so. If Cullen's okay with it, it would probably make  
sense to move this draft to AVT.

Colin

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 10:44:31 +0100

Colin

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 10:44:31 +0100

Colin

---

From: "Xavier Marjou" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:09:17 +0200

> sense to move this draft to AVT.

Just some few words about this "rtp keepalive" draft. Based on the
feedback I got so far, there is really no consensus on the keepalive
technique to be used. I would thus propose to remove the Section on
"recommended solution" and limit the scope of the draft to the list of
different techniques.

Xavier

---

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 10:43:53 -0700

> sense to move this draft to AVT.

I'm fine with moving the discution of this to AVT.