Subject: [AVT] Application sharing

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:08:41 -0500

Based on the comments, it seems to be helpful to have a requirements  
discussion first, so that we can make appropriate architectural  
choices. At least three issues seem to be discussed at once, although  
they are somewhat orthogonal:

(1) Do we need a standardized, session-based application sharing  
mechanism that can be initiated with SIP (and similar mechanisms)?

(2) Should the mechanism support multicast? Encryption?

(3) Is the vnc mechanism and encoding good enough?

It would help me to better understand the discussion if people could  
address these issues. There's not much point in proceeding, for  
example, if there's no interest in having a mechanism at all, whether  
carried in RTP or otherwise.

Omer has done fairly extensive performance comparisons of the various  
mechanisms, so there's actually some implementation experience to back  
up the discussion.

Henning
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt