Subject: [AVT] WG Action: Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenence (AVTCORE)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:22:12 -0800 (PST)

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Real-time Applications and
Infrastructure Area.  For additional information, please contact the Area
Directors or the WG Chairs.

Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenence (AVTCORE)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
  * Roni Even <[email-masked]>
  * Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Directors:
  * Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
  * Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
  * Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>

Secretary:
  * Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avt/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Real-time Transport Protocol, RTP, along with its associated
profiles and payload formats provides for real-time transmission of
audio and video over unicast and multicast transports. RTP itself has
been shepherded to Full Standard. Its associated profiles, extensions,
and payload formats are currently at various levels of standards
maturity.

The AVTCORE working group is chartered to maintain the core RTP/RTCP
specifications and the AVP, SAVP, AVPF, and SAVPF profiles. The group
will provide architectural guidance for extending the protocols and
guidelines for their proper use. While other working groups may be
chartered to work on application-specific extensions to the protocols,
extensions that are generally applicable will be developed in AVTCORE.

The AVTCORE working group will coordinate closely with the Security Area
while working on maintenance and enhancements to the SRTP Profile.

In addition to the milestones called out below, the AVTCORE working
group's initial tasks will include completing any remaining work
identified in those drafts from the AVT working group already in IESG
Evaluation, with the exception of the Rapid Acquisition of Multicast RTP
sessions, which will complete in the AVTEXT working group.

Goals and Milestones:

Done      Submit Guideline for Choosing RTCP CNAME as Proposed Standard
Done      Submit use of AES-192 and AES-256 in Secure RTP for Proposed 
          Standard
Jan 2011  Submit Port Mapping Between Unicast and Multicast RTP Sessions 
          for Proposed Standard
Feb 2011  Submit Monitoring Architecture for RTP for Informational
Feb 2011  Submit Guidelines for the use of Variable Bit Rate Audio with 
          Secure RTP as Informational (or possibly BCP)
Apr 2011  Submit in band keying mechanism for SRTP draft for Proposed 
          Standard
Apr 2011  Submit Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) for RTP over UDP 
          for Proposed Standard
May 2011  Submit RTCP indication for retransmission suppression as 
          Proposed Standard
Sep 2011  Submit Encryption of Header Extensions in the Secure Real-Time 
          Transport Protocol (SRTP) for Proposed Standard
Dec 2011  Submit Real-Time Transport Control Protocol (RTCP) in Overlay 
          Multicast for Proposed Standard