Subject: [AVT] FW: WG Action: Audio/Video Transport Extensions (AVTEXT)

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:13:52 +0100

Please note the new WG. This is one of four created out of the work of the AVT WG.

Noone has been automatically transferred to the new list so please subscribe if you are interested in this continuing work.

Regards

Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: IESG Secretary [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 25 January 2011 23:23
To: IETF Announcement list
Cc: DRAGE, Keith (Keith); [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: WG Action: Audio/Video Transport Extensions (AVTEXT) 

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Real-time Applications and
Infrastructure Area.  For additional information, please contact the Area
Directors or the WG Chairs.

Audio/Video Transport Extensions (AVTEXT)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
  * Keith Drage <[email-masked]>
  * Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Director(s):
  * Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
  * Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
  * Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avtext
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/avtext/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Full-Standard Real-time Transport Protocol, RTP [RFC 3550], along
with its associated profiles and payload formats provides for real-
time transmission of audio and video over unicast and multicast
transports. RTP is widely implemented, and deployed for a wide range
of applications, ranging from telephony to television over IP. As new
applications have emerged, the need for guidelines for the use of the
RTP/RTCP protocols and extensions specific to those applications
has been identified.

The AVTEXT working group is charted to develop application-specific
guidelines for the use of RTP/RTCP protocols with the AVP, SAVP,
AVPF, and SAVPF profiles, and extensions to those protocols that are
driven by application-specific needs. Proposals for extensions with
general applicability to many different RTP/RTCP usages should be
taken to the AVTCORE working group.

The AVTEXT working group is constrained to use the protocol extension
mechanisms defined in the core protocols (such as RTP Header
extensions [RFC5285], AVPF Feedback Messages [RFC4585], and
SDES Items [RFC3550]). If new ways to extend the core protocols are
needed, they will be developed in the AVTCORE working group.

In addition to the milestones called out below, the AVTEXT working
group's initial tasks will include completing any new work identified
during IESG evaluation for the Rapid Acquisition of Multicast RTP
Sessions.

Goals and Milestones:

Jun 2011  Submit Considerations for RAMS Scenarios for Informational
Oct 2011  Submit RTP Header extension for mixer to client audio level 
          indication as Proposed Standard
Oct 2011  Submit RTP Header extension for client to mixer audio level 
          indication as proposed standard
Dec 2011  Submit Support for multiple clock rates in an RTP session for 
          Proposed Standard
Dec 2011  Submit SRTP Store-and-Forward Use Cases and Requirements for 
          Informational
Dec 2011  Submit Use of the Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP) 
          in Store-and-Forward Applications for Proposed Standard