Subject: [AVT] Protocol Action: 'Guidelines for Choosing RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Names (CNAMEs)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-avt-rtp-cnames-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:35:39 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Guidelines for Choosing RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Names
   (CNAMEs)'
  (draft-ietf-avt-rtp-cnames-05.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-cnames/

Technical Summary

The RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Name (CNAME) is a persistent
transport-level identifier for an RTP endpoint.  While the
Synchronization Source (SSRC) identifier of an RTP endpoint may change
if a collision is detected, or when the RTP application is restarted,
its RTCP CNAME is meant to stay unchanged, so that RTP endpoints can be
uniquely identified and associated with their RTP media streams.  For
proper functionality, RTCP CNAMEs should be unique within the
participants of an RTP session.  However, the existing guidelines for
choosing the RTCP CNAME provided in the RTP standard are insufficient
to achieve this uniqueness.  This memo updates these guidelines to
allow endpoints to choose unique RTCP CNAMEs.

Working Group Summary

The document achieved consensus in the AVT working group. 

Personnel

Keith Drage is the document shepherd. Robert Sparks is the responsible AD