Subject: [AVT] WGLC comments on draft-ietf-avt-ports-for-ucast-mcast-rtp-11: Part 5 Page 11, minimal time recommendation for re-use

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 18:00:42 +0100

Hi,

On page 11 last paragraph the following is written:

	After a sufficient
   time, a previously used receive port could be used again.

It doesn't define what a sufficiently time is. I would suggest that a
value that is extremely likely to be sufficent would be to use one TCP
Maximum Segment Lifetime which is 2 minutes. I think some recommendation
is in order.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:33:07 -0800

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Magnus Westerlund
> Sent: Friday, January 14, 2011 6:01 PM
> To: IETF AVT WG; [email-masked]
> Subject: [AVT] WGLC comments on draft-ietf-avt-ports-for-ucast-mcast-rtp-11: Part 5 Page 11, minimal time
> recommendation for re-use
> 
> Hi,
> 

Sure, any reference we can use for this?

-acbegen
 
> _______________________________________________
> Audio/Video Transport Working Group
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:01:39 +0100

> Sure, any reference we can use for this?

RFC 793 defines MSL to be 2 minutes for that spec. I think you should
specify the timer, and then informally reference the TCP spec.

-- 

Magnus Westerlund