Subject: [AVT] Protocol Action: 'RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Port for Source-Specific Multicast (SSM) Sessions' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-port-for-ssm-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:43:29 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Port for Source-Specific Multicast (SSM)
   Sessions'
  (draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-port-for-ssm-04.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-port-for-ssm/

Technical Summary

The Session Description Protocol (SDP) has an attribute that allows RTP
applications to specify an address and a port associated with the RTP
Control Protocol (RTCP) traffic.  In RTP-based source-specific
multicast (SSM) sessions, the same attribute is used to designate the
address and the RTCP port of the Feedback Target in the SDP description. 
However, the RTCP port associated with the SSM session itself cannot be
specified by the same attribute to avoid ambiguity, and thus, is
required to be derived from the "m=" line of the media description. 
Deriving the RTCP port from the "m=" line imposes an unnecessary
restriction.  This document removes this restriction by introducing a
new SDP attribute.

Working Group Summary

The document achieved consensus in the AVT working group. 

Document Quality

The document was reviewed by both the AVT and MMUSIC working groups.

Personnel

Keith Drage is the document shepherd. Robert Sparks is the responsible AD.