Subject: [AVTCORE] G729 RTP Min. interval between Voice and SID packet

From: Vikram Bhuskute <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:04:18 +0530

Hi ,

I would like to know if standard puts a barrier on minimum interval required
between a silence (SID) packet and a
voice packet.

Our application is streaming  RTP pakcets(G.729 ab coded) ,where voice
packet is followed by SID packets.
As I know G.729 is a frame based codec, here packetization time is 20ms that
means voice is played out at the rate
of 20ms.

The last voice packet before SID packet has less voice data i.e the payload
is less than 20ms,so our application
ships out SID packet at the almost same time, because there is still some
space after the last voice packet to
fill in the 20ms frame.

*If we observe packets in wireshark, the time difference between last voice
packet and SID packet is in micro seconds.
**And that is creating problem at our customer place.*

Is microsecond interval unacceptable ? .
I guess this is expected behavior Please comment.

I saw RFC 3551 section on G.729, it talks about 10 and 20 ms frames but dose
not talk about minimum interval.

Thanks & Regards,

Vikram