Subject: [AVTCORE] Protocol Action: 'Application Mechanism for keeping alive the Network Address Translator (NAT) mappings associated to RTP/RTCP flows.' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-avt-app-rtp-keepalive-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:20:47 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Application Mechanism for keeping alive the Network Address Translator
   (NAT) mappings associated to RTP/RTCP flows.'
  (draft-ietf-avt-app-rtp-keepalive-10.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Core
Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avt-app-rtp-keepalive/

Technical Summary

This document lists the different mechanisms that enable applications
using Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) to maintain their RTP
Network Address Translator (NAT) mappings alive. It also makes a
recommendation for a preferred mechanism. This document is not
applicable to Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE) agents.

Working Group Summary

This document began in 2006 as a proposed BEHAVE work item with
broader scope. The scope was refined after discussion between
BEHAVE, MMUSIC, and AVT Working Groups to that indicated above.
The rtp-keepalive SDP parameter was added by direction of the
AVT Chair when no comments were received either for or against
that proposal.

Document Quality

This document was shaped by comments from a number of contributors,
as listed in the Acknowledgments section. As a general application
guide, it is expected to have broad implementation.

Personnel

  Tom Taylor is Document Shepherd.