Subject: [AVTCORE] Oversigt regarding pmembers update in Section 3.5.3 in RFC 4585

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:01:35 +0200

Hi,

A Colleague to mine that are doing an AVPF implementation raised a
question which I personally believe is an oversight in RFC 4585.

Section 3.5.3 says in the last paragraph:

   In all the four cases above (1, 2a, 2b, and 2c), allow_early MUST be
   set to TRUE (possibly after sending the Regular RTCP packet) and tp
   and tn MUST be updated following the rules of [1] except for the five
   second minimum.

However, based on that the update of tp and tn is intended to make the
rtcp sender behave as it sent an RTCP regular packet, independently if
an actual packet was sent or not. Then the implementation should update
the pmembers variable also, as this is what happens every time an
regular RTCP packet is sent using only the RFC 3550 rules.

Can the authors please confirm my reasoning? And if that is the case, we
should submit an Errata.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------