Subject: [AVTCORE] RFC 6222 on Guidelines for Choosing RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Names (CNAMEs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:26:24 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6222

        Title:      Guidelines for Choosing RTP Control 
                    Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Names (CNAMEs) 
        Author:     A. Begen, C. Perkins,
                    D. Wing
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 20393
        Updates:    RFC3550

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avt-rtp-cnames-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6222.txt

The RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Name (CNAME) is a
persistent transport-level identifier for an RTP endpoint.  While the
Synchronization Source (SSRC) identifier of an RTP endpoint may
change if a collision is detected or when the RTP application is
restarted, its RTCP CNAME is meant to stay unchanged, so that RTP
endpoints can be uniquely identified and associated with their RTP
media streams.  For proper functionality, RTCP CNAMEs should be
unique within the participants of an RTP session.  However, the
existing guidelines for choosing the RTCP CNAME provided in the RTP
standard are insufficient to achieve this uniqueness.  This memo
updates those guidelines to allow endpoints to choose unique RTCP
CNAMEs.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC