Subject: [AVTCORE] Protocol Action: 'Forward-shifted RTP Redundancy Payload Support' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-avt-forward-shifted-red-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 08:52:12 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Forward-shifted RTP Redundancy Payload Support'
  (draft-ietf-avt-forward-shifted-red-08.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Core
Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avt-forward-shifted-red/

Technical Summary
  This document defines a simple enhancement to RFC 2198 to support RTP
  sessions with forward-shifted redundant encodings, i.e., redundant
  data sent before the corresponding primary data.  Forward-shifted
  redundancy can be used to conceal losses of a large number of
  consecutive media frames (e.g., consecutive loss of seconds or even
  tens of seconds of media).

Working Group Summary
  The need for this work was questioned at the outset, but the arguments
  advanced in its favour were sufficient to satisfy the people concerned.
  As a result of its very specific scope, the work drew comments from
  few people, but the Document Shepherd is satisfied that the reviews
  were sufficient.

Document Quality
  Colin Perkins bears special mention for his careful reviews at the
  beginning and during Working Group Last Call. Media type review was
  posted on January 4, 2010.

Personnel
   The document shepherd is Tom Taylor. 
   The responsible AD is Robert Sparks