Subject: [AVTCORE] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avt-srtp-not-mandatory-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:37:52 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Why RTP Does Not Mandate a Single Security Mechanism
	Author(s)       : Colin Perkins
                          Magnus Westerlund
	Filename        : draft-ietf-avt-srtp-not-mandatory-08.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2011-10-31

   This memo discusses the problem of securing real-time multimedia
   sessions, and explains why the Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP),
   and the associated RTP control protocol (RTCP), do not mandate a
   single media security mechanism.  It also discusses how applications
   using RTP can meet the goals of BCP 61 to have strong and mandatory
   to implement security.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-srtp-not-mandatory-08.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-srtp-not-mandatory-08.txt

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 14:27:51 +0100

WG,

I have with the help of Colin, finally gotten around to update this
document. This is an attempt to resolve the IESG comments we have
received on this document. We have not yet gotten thumbs up from the
IESG on the proposed changes, we will request that feedback.

I would recommend the WG participants to review the changes. The two
major points are:

1) IETF should consider defining RTP security profiles more
2) Strong recommendations on any user of RTP to define a Mandatory to
Implement security solution for their application.

http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-avt-srtp-not-mandatory-08

Cheers

Magnus

On 2011-10-31 11:37, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt
> 

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------