Subject: [AVTCORE] Last Call: <draft-ietf-avtcore-srtp-encrypted-header-ext-04.txt> (Encryption of Header Extensions in the Secure Real-Time Transport Protocol (SRTP)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 12:42:07 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Audio/Video Transport Core
Maintenance WG (avtcore) to consider the following document:
- 'Encryption of Header Extensions in the Secure Real-Time Transport
   Protocol (SRTP)'
  <draft-ietf-avtcore-srtp-encrypted-header-ext-04.txt> as Proposed
Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-01-17. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Secure Real-Time Transport Protocol (SRTP) provides
   authentication, but not encryption, of the headers of Real-Time
   Transport Protocol (RTP) packets.  However, RTP header extensions may
   carry sensitive information for which participants in multimedia
   sessions want confidentiality.  This document provides a mechanism,
   extending the mechanisms of SRTP, to selectively encrypt RTP header
   extensions in SRTP.

   This document updates RFC 3711, the Secure Real-Time Transport
   Protocol specification, to require that all future SRTP encryption
   transforms specify how RTP header extensions are to be encrypted.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-srtp-encrypted-header-ext/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-srtp-encrypted-header-ext/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.