Subject: [AVTCORE] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-shepherd-multicast-udp-guidelines-01.txt

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 10:35:49 -0700

Please read and comment. I'd like to present this in Berlin, and get ample
feedback before then in order to help this progress as quickly as possible.
In addition to its overall value, it will be a helpful document in
addressing outstanding Discuss issues in the RFC Editors' queue.

Thanks,
Greg

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-shepherd-multicast-udp-guidelines-01.txt
To: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-shepherd-multicast-udp-guidelines-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Greg Shepherd and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-shepherd-multicast-udp-guidelines
Revision:        01
Title:           Multicast UDP Usage Guidelines for Application Designers
Creation date:   2013-06-12
Group:           Individual Submission
Number of pages: 8
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shepherd-multicast-udp-guidelines-01.txt
Status:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-shepherd-multicast-udp-guidelines
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-shepherd-multicast-udp-guidelines-01
Diff:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-shepherd-multicast-udp-guidelines-01

Abstract:
   The multi-recipient nature of Multicast prevents the use of any pont-
   to-point connection-oriented transport, therefore restricts all
   Multicast data to be sent over the User Datagram Protocol (UDP).  UDP
   provides a minimal message-passing transport that has no inherent
   congestion control mechanisms.  Because congestion control is
   critical to the stable operation of the Internet, applications and
   upper-layer protocols that choose to use Multicast UDP as an Internet
   service must employ mechanisms to prevent congestion collapse and to
   establish some degree of fairness with concurrent traffic.  This
   document provides guidelines on the use of UDP for the designers of
   multicast applications and higher-level protocols.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Kevin Gross <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 06:49:29 -0600

It seems like this overlaps with what RMCAT is working on. We're trying to
quantify fairness to some degree. I have, for no scientific reason proposed
a factor of 3. How did you settle on a factor of 10 in your proposal?

Kevin Gross
+1-303-447-0517
Media Network Consultant
AVA Networks - www.AVAnw.com <http://www.avanw.com/>, www.X192.org

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt
>
>

---

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 06:17:10 -0700

This is not a solutions draft, but merely guidelines. It borrows liberally
from RFC5405 in cases there a recommended solution doesn't exist. I
wouldn't say this overlaps with any solutions draft as it only directs each
case to the available solutions then provides guidelines if for some reason
using an available solution is not possible.

Greg

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 5:49 AM, Kevin Gross <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Please read and comment. I'd like to present this in Berlin, and get
>> ample feedback before then in order to help this progress as quickly as
>> possible. In addition to its overall value, it will be a helpful document
>> in addressing outstanding Discuss issues in the RFC Editors' queue.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Greg
>>