Subject: [AVTCORE] Is a source projecting middlebox part of Topo-Mixer?

From: "Duckworth, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 06:50:26 -0700

I have a question regarding draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-topologies-update.  Is a source projecting middlebox part of Topo-Mixer?

Section 3.6 describes the Topo-Mixer category, with subsections describing the media mixing variety and the media switching variety.

Then section 3.7 describes a source projecting middlebox, but there is no Topo- designation for this case.  If the source projecting middlebox is a third variety of Topo-Mixer, then this section 3.7 should be renumbered as 3.6.3, to indicate it is part of 3.6 Topo-Mixer.  If the source projecting middlebox is not a variety of Topo-Mixer, then it should be given its own new Topo-Source-Projecting designation, and also added to the comparison in section 4.2.

Mark Duckworth

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 10:42:00 +0200

On 2013-06-14 15:50, Duckworth, Mark wrote:
> I have a question regarding draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-topologies-update. 
> Is a source projecting middlebox part of Topo-Mixer?
>

Short answer: Probably not!

Longer answer below.

>  
> 
> Section 3.6 describes the Topo-Mixer category, with subsections
> describing the media mixing variety and the media switching variety.
> 
>  
> 
> Then section 3.7 describes a source projecting middlebox, but there is
> no Topo- designation for this case.  If the source projecting middlebox
> is a third variety of Topo-Mixer, then this section 3.7 should be
> renumbered as 3.6.3, to indicate it is part of 3.6 Topo-Mixer.  If the
> source projecting middlebox is not a variety of Topo-Mixer, then it
> should be given its own new Topo-Source-Projecting designation, and also
> added to the comparison in section 4.2.

I think it needs its own designation. The issue with source projecting
mixer is that it is a hybrid between translator and mixer. From certain
perspective it can be seen as a translator, for others it is much more
like a mixer.

I definitely want input on this matter.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------