Subject: [AVTCORE] RFC 7272 on Inter-Destination Media Synchronization (IDMS) Using the RTP Control Protocol (RTCP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 18:48:29 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7272

        Title:      Inter-Destination Media Synchronization (IDMS) Using 
                    the RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) 
        Author:     R. van Brandenburg, H. Stokking,
                    O. van Deventer, F. Boronat,
                    M. Montagud, K. Gross
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 56261
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avtcore-idms-13.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7272.txt

This document defines a new RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Packet Type
and an RTCP Extended Report (XR) Block Type to be used for achieving
Inter-Destination Media Synchronization (IDMS).  IDMS is the process
of synchronizing playout across multiple media receivers.  Using the
RTCP XR IDMS Report Block defined in this document, media playout
information from participants in a synchronization group can be
collected.  Based on the collected information, an RTCP IDMS Settings
Packet can then be sent to distribute a common target playout point
to which all the distributed receivers, sharing a media experience,
can synchronize.

Typical use cases in which IDMS is useful are social TV, shared
service control (i.e., applications where two or more geographically
separated users are watching a media stream together), distance
learning, networked video walls, networked loudspeakers, etc.

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC