Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] ***SPAM*** 5.977 (5) RE: Mail regarding RFC 7273

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 17:54:01 -0500

Julius Friedman <[email-masked]> writes:
> My position is unchanged.
>
> Its my goal to fix existing issues in the spec and well as simplify it
> where possible.

If you think there are problems in the operation of real systems, why
don't you propose additional mechanisms that will solve the problems?

No, you aren't going to change the definition of a mechanism whose
definition is an RFC.  It's just not going to happen; people already
have implementations of the RFC in production.

The way to achieve useful change in the IETF is to write an
Internet-Draft explaining what the problem is and proposing suitable
additional mechanisms.  Then you discuss it on the mailing list, looking
for people who agree with you that the problem exists and the mechanism
will solve it.  And of course, taking their feedback to heart.

A very useful reference is RFC 4144, "How to Gain Prominence and
Influence in Standards Organizations".
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc4144/

Also, please remember the core principles of the IETF:  "All my speak."
"Not all are listened to."  If one annoys people, it is not a crime, but
it removes the one path one has to influence:  being listened to.

Dale