Subject: [AVTCORE] Protocol Action: 'Multimedia Congestion Control: Circuit Breakers for Unicast RTP Sessions' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-18.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 15:48:29 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Multimedia Congestion Control: Circuit Breakers for Unicast RTP
   Sessions'
  (draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-18.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Core
Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov, Ben Campbell and Alissa
Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers/

Technical Summary

   The Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) is widely used in telephony,
   video conferencing, and telepresence applications.  Such applications
   are often run on best-effort UDP/IP networks.  If congestion control
   is not implemented in the applications, then network congestion will
   deteriorate the user's multimedia experience.  This acts as a safety
   measure to prevent starvation of network resources denying other
   flows from access to the Internet, such measures are essential for an
   Internet that is heterogeneous and for traffic that is hard to
   predict in advance.  This document does not propose a congestion
   control algorithm; instead, it defines a minimal set of RTP circuit-
   breakers.  Circuit-breakers are conditions under which an RTP sender
   needs to stop transmitting media data in order to protect the network
   from excessive congestion.  It is expected that, in the absence of
   severe congestion, all RTP applications running on best-effort IP
   networks will be able to run without triggering these circuit
   breakers.  Any future RTP congestion control specification will be
   expected to operate within the constraints defined by these circuit
   breakers.

Working Group Summary

The WG has been quite diligent in working on this. There has been 
discussion if the specification addresses the right issue, and if the 
perimeter behavior it establish is the appropriate one. That consensus 
is definitely a rough consensus. A very good number of people have 
commented on the specification. 

Document Quality

There has been significant input, including simulations both for wired 
and wireless networks, the result of these simulations are referenced 
by the specification. Simon Perreault at JIVE did a trial deployment in 
their service. All of this has helped improving the solution and its 
definition significantly and helped verifying the behavior of the 
circuit breakers. 

Personnel

Magnus Westerlund is the document shepherd. 
Responsible AD is Ben Campbell