Subject: [AVTCORE] Document Action: 'The ARIA Algorithm and Its Use with the Secure Real-time Transport Protocol(SRTP)' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-avtcore-aria-srtp-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 14:42:48 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The ARIA Algorithm and Its Use with the Secure Real-time Transport
   Protocol(SRTP)'
  (draft-ietf-avtcore-aria-srtp-11.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-aria-srtp/

Technical Summary

  This document defines the use of the ARIA block cipher algorithm
   within the Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP).  It details
   two modes of operation (CTR, GCM) and a SRTP Key Derivation Function
   for ARIA.  Additionally, this document defines DTLS-SRTP protection
   profiles and MIKEY parameter sets for the use with ARIA.

   ARIA is a Korean standard block cipher algorithm that has been 
   widely used in Korea, especially for government-to-public services.  

Working Group Summary

  The primarily thing to note has been the limited interest
  in this work. However, since the draft registers DTLS-SRTP 
  and MIKEY codepoints for a widely used algorithm, the
  AVTCORE group adopted the milestone.

Document Quality

  The document has been reviewed by a small group of 
  persons beyond the authors themselves. The document
  received feedback from Dan Wing and John Mattson from
  a security perspective. Colin Perkins, Jonathan Lennox,
  and the shepherd have reviewed it from an RTP perspective.
  
  There exist a number of implementations of the ARIA cipher in SRTP.  
  Some are certified by Telecommunications Technology Association of Korea:
  http://test.tta.or.kr/research/result/index.jsp?team_cd=N&pageNum=2
  And looking at specific products like:
  http://test.tta.or.kr/research/result/network.jsp?team_cd=N&num=987
  http://test.tta.or.kr/research/result/network.jsp?team_cd=N&num=971
  One can see (using Google translate) that they are listed as supporting ARIA.
  Shepherd notes that this likely means that the cipher and one form of 
  key-management has been implemented.