Subject: Re: [avtext] 2nd WGLC: draft-ietf-avtext-rid-02

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 13:11:20 -0700

I have one comment.

" To address this situation, we define a new RTCP SDES identifier,

   RtpStreamId, that uniquely identifies a single RTP stream.  A key
   motivator for defining this identifier is the ability to
   differentiate among different encodings of a single Source Stream
   that are sent simultaneously (i.e., simulcast).  This need for unique
   identification extends to dependent streams (i.e., layers used by a
   layered codec)"

[BA] Where the layers of a layered codec are transmitted within the
same RTP stream (SRST transport), each of the layers would utilize the
same RtpStreamId.

So presumably the need for unique identification is met only where
MRST transport is used.

So should the last sentence say:  "where layers used by a layered
codec are transmitted on separate streams" ?

---

From: Peter Thatcher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 12:35:31 -0700

That clarification makes sense to me.  Obviously if layers share an RTP
Stream, the share an RtpStreamId and need a different ID to differentiate
them.

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> [BA] Where the layers of a layered codec are transmitted within the same RTP stream (SRST transport), each of the layers would utilize the same RtpStreamId.
>
> So presumably the need for unique identification is met only where MRST transport is used.
>
>
> So should the last sentence say:  "where layers used by a layered codec are transmitted on separate streams" ?
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> avtext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avtext
>
>