Subject: [avtext] Protocol Action: 'RTP Header Extension for RTCP Source Description Items' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-avtext-sdes-hdr-ext-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 08:50:08 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RTP Header Extension for RTCP Source Description Items'
  (draft-ietf-avtext-sdes-hdr-ext-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov, Ben Campbell and Alissa
Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtext-sdes-hdr-ext/

Technical Summary

   Source Description (SDES) items are normally transported in the RTP
   control protocol (RTCP).  In some cases it can be beneficial to
   speed up the delivery of these items.  Mainly when a new source
   (SSRC) joins an RTP session and the receivers needs this source's
   identity, relation to other sources, or its synchronization
   context, all of which may be fully or partially identified using
   SDES items.  To enable this optimization, this document specifies a
   new RTP header extension that can carry SDES items.

Working Group Summary

   The document went through working group last call.  Several people
   commented during last call that they had read the document but had
   no issues with its content. 

Document Quality

  The document got good reviews from AVText members.  The document
  generalizes a mechanism which is used by the SDP BUNDLE mechanism,
  which required for all WebRTC implementations.

Personnel

  The document Shepherd is Jonathan Lennox.  The Responsible Area
  Director is Ben Campbell.