Subject: [babel] Fwd: Rtgdir early review of draft-ietf-babel-hmac

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2018 22:26:51 -0400

And here is one of the Routing Directorate early reviews.

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 1424 Pro Shop Court, Davenport, FL 33896 USA
 [email-masked]

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Michael McBride <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 7:46 PM
Subject: Rtgdir early review of draft-ietf-babel-hmac
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <
[email-masked]>

I have been selected to do a routing directorate “early” review of
draft-ietf-babel-hmac.

Document: draft-ietf-babel-hmac-00

Reviewer: Mike McBride

Review Date: 19-09-2018

Intended Status: Standards Track

Comments:

I only found a few nits. Great job with the draft, especially being a 00.
The nits that should be considered:

1.      Add a Terminology section to include HMAC, Babel, PC, etc

2.      1.1 Applicability Section: “The protocol defined in this document
assumes that all interfaces on a given link are equally trusted and share a
small set of symmetric keys (usually just one, two during key rotation).”
Consider changing it to: “…(Typically one key. Two keys during a key
rotation).” Otherwise it can read as “just one or two during key rotation”.

3.      4.2 Packet Transmission Section: “A Babel node may delay actually
sending TLVs by a small amount…”. Consider giving an example of a small
amount.

Sound reasonable?

mike