Subject: [babel] I-D Action: draft-ietf-babel-rfc6126bis-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 13:23:47 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Babel routing protocol WG of the IETF.

        Title           : The Babel Routing Protocol
        Authors         : Juliusz Chroboczek
                          David Schinazi
	Filename        : draft-ietf-babel-rfc6126bis-06.txt
	Pages           : 60
	Date            : 2018-10-23

Abstract:
   Babel is a loop-avoiding distance-vector routing protocol that is
   robust and efficient both in ordinary wired networks and in wireless
   mesh networks.  This document describes the Babel routing protocol,
   and obsoletes RFCs 6126 and 7557

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-babel-rfc6126bis/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-babel-rfc6126bis-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-babel-rfc6126bis-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-babel-rfc6126bis-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 22:35:26 +0200

Looked at the diff. This paragraph:

> The packet body and the packet trailer are both sequences of TLVs. A
> TLV may appear in the packet trailer only if it is explicitly allowed
> to do so: the receiver MUST silently ignore any TLV that appears in
> the packet trailer unless it is explicitly specified to be allowed in
> the packet trailer. Among the TLVs defined in this document, only Pad1
> and PadN are allowed in the packet trailer; since these TLVs are
> ignored in any case, an implementation MAY silently ignore the packet
> trailer unless it implements at least one extension that uses the
> packet trailer.

says "packet trailer" 7 times. That is painful; please fix... :)

-Toke

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 22:49:22 +0200

> says "packet trailer" 7 times. That is painful; please fix... :)

It's a duck ;-)

---

From: "STARK, BARBARA H" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 21:52:36 +0000

> >> the packet trailer. Among the TLVs defined in this document, only
> >> Pad1 and PadN are allowed in the packet trailer; since these TLVs are

I like the absence of pronouns with unclear antecedents.

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 00:16:02 +0200

> I like the absence of pronouns with unclear antecedents.

While I generally tend to agree with Barbara that it's okay to repeat
oneself if the goal is to avoid unclear language, I may have overdone it
just a wee bit in this particular case.

More seriously, the intent is that the paragraph above is merely
a rewording and expansion of Appendix A of draft-ietf-babel-hmac-00, and
therefore reflects WG consensus.  We're planning to submit hmac-01
tomorrow, with Appendix A omitted, since the format of the trailer is now
defined in rfc6126bis.  See also the last paragraph of Appendix C of
rfc6126bis-06.

-- Juliusz