Subject: [babel] IETF-109 online

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 16:37:25 +0200

Dear all,

IETF-109 will be held online from 16 to 20 November.  There might or might
not be a Babel meeting.

They appear to have listened to our complaints, and requesting a fee
waiver no longer requires slaughtering an immaculate goat over your
keyboard.  In order to participate for free, you need to:

1. Open an account on the IETF datatracker (unless you already have one):

  https://datatracker.ietf.org/accounts/create/

2. Submit a waiver request on:

  https://www.ietf.org/forms/109-registration-fee-waiver/

I don't know how busy the secretariat is, but just in case, I would
recommend doing that earlier rather than later.

Regards,

-- Juliusz

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 23:44:51 -0400

Hi Juliusz,

Thanks for your message below.

The Babel WG meeting has been tentatively scheduled for
UTC: Tuesday November 17th 07:30 to 08:30
Bangkok time: Tuesday November 17th 14:30 to 15:30

However, at this point no one has requested to present and if there
aren't any requests in the next couple of weeks, the meeting will be
cancelled.

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 [email-masked]

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 10:37 AM Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Babel-users mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://alioth-lists.debian.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/babel-users

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 21:45:15 -0400

Hi,

The upcoming IETF meeting schedule is now "final" although it is
always possible it could change. In any case the day and time of the
possible BABEL WG meeting has been confirmed as shown below. However,
there are currently no presentations scheduled. If that is still the
case by 2 November, I plan to cancel the meeting.

Thanks,
Donald

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 13:26:09 +0100

Added babel-users to CC.

> However, there are currently no presentations scheduled. If that is
> still the case by 2 November, I plan to cancel the meeting.

I think that's the right thing to do.  The only important drafts that are
not currently in the hands of either the IESG or the RFC Editor are RTT
and 4via6, and we have nothing new to say on either subject. (I've got
shell shock after one year of bullying by the IESG, so I'm not willing to
push RTT right now; as to 4via6, it is not ready, see point (γ) below.)

I believe that we've done all that was needed as far as specifications are
concerned, the current priorities are implementation and research:

  α. get HMAC into babeld and BIRD mainline;
  β. decide whether to update FRR to comply with 6126bis, or to remove
     Babel from FRR (FRR Babel has no maintainer);
  γ. redo the experiments with 4via6 with ICMP in mind, write a paper or
     a technical report on the subject;
  δ. update the 4via6 draft once we've reached a conclusion.

I suggest discussion of these should happen on babel-users rather than
babel@ietf.

— Juliusz