Subject: [BXXPwg] Beepcore.org: resources for the BEEP community

From: "Kristopher Magnusson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:15:44 -0700

Invisible Worlds has launched the new BEEP-related web site, Beepcore.org
(http://www.beepcore.org/). BEEP is a proposed Internet standard for
developing new application-layer protocols (RFC 3080 and RFC 3081).
Beepcore.org has the most recent information about BEEP, including:

-- a directory of BEEP developers
-- a directory of BEEP-compatible commercial products; and
-- a directory of BEEP-related software projects.
-- new IETF I-Ds and RFCs;
-- white papers and presentations about BEEP;
-- an updated Q&A with Dr. Rose

Beepcore.org is already listing some interesting new projects. Gabe Wachob
has kicked off his PyBeep project, which is an implementation of a BEEP
library in Python. Ben Feinstein is the admin of the new IDXP-Java project,
which is an application-layer protocol for exchanging data between intrusion
detection entities. Some enterprising folks at Temple University are working
on HSTP (Hypertext Streaming Transfer Protocol), essentially HTTP over BEEP
that takes advantage of multiple channels. And our very own development team
has released open source implementations of Beepcore-Java and Beepcore-Tcl,
and has updated the Ethereal packet dumper for network analysis to reflect
RFCs 3080 and 3081.

If you're interested in BEEP-related consulting, don't forget to add
yourself to the BEEP developer's directory.

Also, if you're working on a new BEEP application profile or a commercial
application, be sure to list it in the BEEP projects or products directory.

The way the development hosting works is a little different than BXXP.org.
Rather than maintain our own CVS and bug tracking infrastructure, Invisible
Worlds hosts its CVS trees and mailing lists at SourceForge, which enables
us to concentrate on, well, building more BEEP stuff rather than maintaining
web sites. Now we include information about a particular project in the
directory of projects, and link to the external URLs at SourceForge. The web
site is completely database-driven and is administrated distributed-style by
the BEEP developer community.

As a side note, Invisible Worlds will be retiring the old BXXP.org web site
soon, as well as end-of-lifing the SpaceKits. While the site's still up,
you're welcome to download and use any code there, but in the future we will
probably not make it generally available for download, and will not be
supporting it as of today.

Have fun with the new site!

............ kris

Kris Magnusson [email-masked], Invisible Worlds, Inc.
(http://www.invisible.net/)
Site Manager, Beepcore.org (http://www.beepcore.org)

_______________________________________________
BXXPwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.invisible.net/mailman/listinfo/bxxpwg

---

From: Gabe Wachob <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:54:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Kristopher Magnusson wrote:

> library in Python.

Gabe would like to invite all persons interested to Python to get
involved. I am actively looking for an enthusiastic co-leader for this
project as its is not gettting enough attention from me!

> yourself to the BEEP developer's directory.

<plug>WiredObjects is interested in taking on outsourced BEEP related
projects. Please contact me if you might have needs here</plug>

> supporting it as of today.

This is a big announcement! Will there be any implementations of BEEP
available open there besides mine (which is not complete) and the Apache
module?

	-Gabe

---

From: Gabe Wachob <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:55:15 -0700 (PDT)

Ah, sorry, the beepcore projects are alive - its the spacekits that are
dying.

Fair enough, sorry for the noise.

	-Gabe

---

From: "Kristopher Magnusson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 16:02:13 -0700

Just want to clarify--the SpaceKits are being replaced by Beepcore impls.

We have already released Beepcore-Java and Beepcore-Tcl under the BPL. We
have announced a Beepcore-C implementation that will be released later.

Have fun!

............ kris