Subject: [BEEPwg] BCP under consideration

From: "Marshall T. Rose" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:43:05 -0700

the ADs for the Applications Area of the IETF have asked me to draw your
attention to the following internet-draft. they are considering using it as
the basis for a BCP for working groups developing BEEP profiles. your
comments are welcome.

the HTML version is at:
http://www.beepcore.org/beepcore/docs/beep-transientid.jsp

/mtr

Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-mrose-beep-transientid-00.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 06:54:04 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Transient Prefix for Identifying Profiles under 
                          Development by the Working Groups of the IETF
	Author(s)	: M. Rose
	Filename	: draft-mrose-beep-transientid-00.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 07-Sep-01
	
As a part of their deliverables, working groups of the IETF may
develop BEEP profiles.  During the development process, it is
desirable to assign a transient identifier to each profile.  If the
profile is subsequently published as an RFC, then a permanent
identifier is subsequently assigned by the IANA.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mrose-beep-transientid-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-mrose-beep-transientid-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-mrose-beep-transientid-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Dan Kohn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:14:16 -0700

This looks fine, but for one small comment on capitalization.  I believe
the W3C has a policy that although their URLs for documents may be mixed
case <http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/intro.html#Namespace>, their namespace
URLs are always lowercase <http://www.w3.org/2000/svg>.  Since there's
no cost, it would seem worthwhile to maintain this notation.

So, in the document, <http://iana.org/beep/transient/provreg/EPP> would
become <http://iana.org/beep/transient/provreg/epp>.

Finally, it would be nice to have some comment on non working group BEEP
profiles, even if to say that they're on their own.

		- dan
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:[email-masked]>
<http://www.dankohn.com/>  <tel:+1-650-327-2600>

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Marshall T. Rose
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 08:43
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Marshall Rose
Subject: [BEEPwg] BCP under consideration

the ADs for the Applications Area of the IETF have asked me to draw your
attention to the following internet-draft. they are considering using it
as
the basis for a BCP for working groups developing BEEP profiles. your
comments are welcome.

the HTML version is at:

/mtr

_______________________________________________
BEEPwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.beepcore.org/mailman/listinfo/beepwg

---

From: "Marshall T. Rose" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:09:27 -0700

> become <http://iana.org/beep/transient/provreg/epp>.

how about adding this paragraph:

   Note that although the IETF hasn't established a practice with
   respect to the use of capitalization in URLs employed for namespace
   purposes, the W3C has a lowercase-only policy.  Working group chairs
   are encouraged to consider this when making assignments.

> profiles, even if to say that they're on their own.

how about adding this paragraph:

   Note that this practice does not apply to activities outside of working
   groups -- anyone able to assign a URL is capable of defining a URI
   for the purposes of identifying the BEEP profiles that they develop.

/mtr