Subject: [BEEPwg] 4K Limit to Profile element length

From: "Bob Wyman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:23:59 -0400

Forgive me for a very simple question:
RFC3080 says at "2.3.1.2 The Start Message" that: "the content of the
"profile" element, if present, must be no longer than 4K octets in
length".
	The question is: If the content of the profile element is
encoded (Base64), then does the length restriction apply to the encoded
form of the content or to the result after decoding? i.e. if encoding
causes the size of the data to grow, does that matter?

		bob wyman
_______________________________________________
BEEPwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.beepcore.org/mailman/listinfo/beepwg

---

From: "Huston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:48:16 -0600

I took it to mean 4k after encoding because that coincides with the default
window size.

--Huston

---

From: Darren New <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:03:51 -0700

> I took it to mean 4k after encoding because that coincides with the default

Except that you can have multiple profile elements in a start message, and
you have extra overhead in the start messages too, so a limit of 4K here
doesn't mean it fits in the default window size.

-- 
Darren New 
San Diego, CA, USA (PST). Cryptokeys on demand.
   ** http://images.fbrtech.com/dnew/ **

Humility? Why would I need to show some humility?
_______________________________________________
BEEPwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.beepcore.org/mailman/listinfo/beepwg

---

From: Jered Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Aug 2002 13:33:23 -0400

> causes the size of the data to grow, does that matter?

I believe this to refer to the result after encoding.  When this is 
the case, the initialization message is always small enough to fit
into the newly-created channel's window buffer (if, for some reason,
an implementation chooses to put it there.)

--Jered

---

From: Jered Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Aug 2002 14:12:33 -0400

> I believe this to refer to the result after encoding.  

I, of course, meant "after decoding". I should proofread my mail
before I send it, sorry.

--Jered