Subject: Re: [BEEPwg] RFC3080 MSG/RPY Window

From: james woodyatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 22:29:03 -0800

On 16 Sep 2003, at 02:02, Rainer Gerhards wrote:
>
> [...] There are two advancing "message ids" in BEEP. One is the seqno, 
> the other is the msgno. [...]

There is no requirement that 'msgno' numbers advance in any sequential 
order.  In fact, if an implementation never pipelines multiple MSG 
entities before receiving the corresponding RPY/ERR/ANS/NUL response 
frames, then the 'msgno' field in the MSG header could always be zero.

The 'msgno' field is only required for sanity-checking the correlation 
between MSG entities and their response entities.  It *may* be useful 
for other things, therefore: it's my opinion that generalized 
implementations of RFC 3080 should allow applications to control the 
value of the 'msgno' field in the header.

Also, keep in mind that the 'Content-Id' entity header field may be 
used in messages to uniquely and globally identify messages on a 
persistent basis.

-- 
j h woodyatt <[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
BEEPwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.beepcore.org/mailman/listinfo/beepwg