Subject: [BEEPwg] <greeting> after sasl?

From: "Kent Watsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:39:24 -0800

Sorry if this has been answered before, but my search through the
archives and other online resources did not provide a definitive
answer...

Is another <greeting> exchange expected after the SASL profile is used
for authentication?  The spec implies there is a "tuning reset" after
each tuning profile is used and it implies that the SASL profile is a
tuning profile, but I can't find examples illustrating a new <greeting>
exchange either...

It would be surprising for a server to advertise its "exchange" profiles
before the client has authenticated itself.  Not only does this
unnecessarily reveal information, but the server might want to select
which profiles to advertised based on the authorizations of the
authenticated client

Thanks

Kent

_______________________________________________
BEEPwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://drakken.dbc.mtview.ca.us/mailman/listinfo/beepwg

---

From: Marshall Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:52:26 -0800

> answer…
> Is another <greeting> exchange expected after the SASL profile is  
> used for authentication?  The spec implies there is a "tuning  
> reset" after each tuning profile is used and it implies that the  
> SASL profile is a tuning profile, but I can't find examples  
> illustrating a new <greeting> exchange either...
>
>
>
> It would be surprising for a server to advertise its “exchange”  
> profiles before the client has authenticated itself.  Not only does  
> this unnecessarily reveal information, but the server might want to  
> select which profiles to advertised based on the authorizations of  
> the authenticated client

authentication, per se, doesn't qualify as a tuning reset; however,  
if the sasl method also involves additional security features, viz.,  
integrity/privacy, then that does get you a tuning reset.

/mtr