Subject: [BEEPwg] About Profiles

From: "Jacky Luk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 04:54:00 +0000

Hi,
I'm looking into how to go about writing profiles.
I have a question,
If the profile is written in C, do I have to compile it?
What is a profile basically? Can you explain what nullprofile and plain 
profile do?
Thanks
Jack

_________________________________________________________________
FREE 'A WORD A DAY' - learn English easily! 
http://www.linguaphonenet.com/BannerTrack.asp?EMSCode=MSN06-02ETFJ-0211E

_______________________________________________
BEEPwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://drakken.dbc.mtview.ca.us/mailman/listinfo/beepwg

---

From: Francis Brosnan Blazquez <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:58:51 +0100

El mié, 15-02-2006 a las 04:54 +0000, Jacky Luk escribió:

Hi Jack,

> What is a profile basically? 

BEEP is a protocol to write new application protocols. This means that
you can't use BEEP directly to send and receive data, if you don't
extend BEEP to implement your specific application protocol.

This is done by extending BEEP, adding your application protocol on top
of it. The way BEEP is extended, to fulfill your protocol requirements,
are: profiles.

>From a conceptual point of view, without taking into account how each
BEEP toolkit implements the profile concept, we could say that a profile
is just an agreement between BEEP peers that they implement some
application protocol, identified by the profile, which involves to know
how to process messages to be exchanged by the profile and their
meaning.

Another concept to consider is that BEEP channels are created under the
semantic of a profile. In other words, if you define your profile "A"
and a profile "B", which are different application protocols, you are
allowed to create channels that are bound to run under the profile "A"
or "B".

Now, once the profile, that define your application prototol, is
defined, you need to implement it following indications of the BEEP
toolkit you are using. 

Cheers!

-- 
Francis Brosnan Blazquez <[email-masked]>
Advanced Software Production Line, S.L.