Subject: [BEEPwg] [ANN] Turbulence 0.2.1 "Solid Eyes" first public release!

From: Francis Brosnan Blazquez <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:57:39 +0200

-=  Turbulence 0.2.1  =-
                       "Solid Eyes release"       

Release note
~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Advanced Software Production Line is proud to announce the first
  public available Turbulence release: an open source BEEP application
  server, written on top of Vortex Library.

  Turbulence is a BEEP server extensible through modules and allows to
  implement server side profiles that are used and combined later with
  other profiles through run time configuration.

  Turbulence is written to make it easy to develop and deploy BEEP
  profiles, allowing developers to provide a convenient configuration
  interface to site administrators and end users.

  Check out the following links to get ready with Turbulence:

    - http://www.turbulence.ws
      [Turbulence homepage]

    - http://vortex.aspl.es 
      [Vortex Library homepage]
 
    - http://www.sf.net/projects/vortexlibrary
      [Sources and binaries]

    - http://www.beepcore.org
      [BEEP Core community web site]

    - http://xml.aspl.es
      [Axl Library, XML 1.0 implementation]
    
The release in short
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  First official release. Included basic configuration features: ports,
  bind address, log files, max connections and bad signal handling.

  It also includes two initial modules: mod-sasl and mod-tunnel, which
  implements and provides facilities and tools to admin them. It also
  included initial tools to manage configuration lists
  (tbc-dblist-mgr), SASL users (tbc-sasl-conf) and module creation
  (tbc-mod-gen).

  This release also includes one of the most important features for
  Turbulence, the profile path: an administrative mechanism that
  allows to configure which profiles can be used by remote peers and
  how they are sequenced, according to peer status, source address,
  previously created channels, and much more.

Thanks to..
~~~~~~~~~~~
  Marshall Rose and Carl Malamud for helping to polish the site.
  
Change notifications
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  None.

Changes since the emptiness
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* [fix] Added a log message to the access file when a profile is
  accepted.  Added a new function to perform such task. API added:

   - turbulence_access
   - access (macro)

* [fix] Changing default turbulence configuration file to
  turbulence.example.conf to avoid overwriting system configuration
  on turbulence install or update.

* [fix] Updated autoconf process to detect axl and vortex version, and
  using them from tbc-mod-gen to produce an appropriate output.

* [fix] Updated DTD file to allow not requiring the additional-content.

* [fix] Updated the tool to support a new option (--enable-autoconf)
  that produces two new files (autogen.sh and configure.ac).

* [new] Include support for an db list implementation, initially
  supporting the xml backend, which allows reading/storing a list of
  items that is automatically managed (disk stored, automatic close,
  etc). API added:

   - TurbulenceDbList
   - turbulence_db_list_open
   - turbulence_db_list_exists
   - turbulence_db_list_add
   - turbulence_db_list_remove
   - turbulence_db_list_get
   - turbulence_db_list_close
   - turbulence_db_list_reload
   - turbulence_db_list_flush

* [new] Added a new tool that allows to manage db list created.
  Operations implemented: add, remove and list.

* [fix] Fixed bug inside profile path engine which was causing to read
  the content provided by nodes following the first child.

* [fix] Making the generated turbulence-config to support a new
  option: --base-dir which returns the turbulence base configuration
  directory.

* [new] Updated tbc-mod-gen to generate a script to allow refreshing
  the source code.

* [new] Updated tbc-mod-gen to support a new node:
  <additional-content> which allows to declare content that will be
  included in the module.

* [fix] Making the tool to allow including into the xml definition
  more source files that are included into the Makefile.am created.

* [fix] Updated the tool to fully produce a compilable module template
  including the Makefile.am and the xml module definition.

* [new] Added a new script which allows to get current default module
  installation dir and the xml module definition directory. Script
  added: turbulence-config.

* [fix] Updated documentation including main configuration settings
  and profile path configuration.

* [fix] Removed filter-modules node from the configuration file
  because it is going to be implemented in an apache style using
  mod-enabled/available directories.

* [fix] Committing more updates to the tbc-mod-gen tool. Now the tool
  is able to produce a basic template file and read it to produce the
  module implementation. Source code not tested.

* [fix] Updated configure files to include the new tools directory and
  the tbc-mod-gen tool.

* [new] Added a new tool to create new modules easily: tbc-mod-gen The
  tool allows to create an xml template file which is used to produce
  a module following conventions used by turbulence.

* [new] Implemented the reconfiguration mechanism required by which
  modules get notifications for reconfiguration if turbulence receives
  a HUP signal.

* [new] Added support to configure max connection limits (hard and
  soft).

* [new] Updated tbc-sasl-conf to allow removing, disabling and listing
  users inside the sasl database provided by mod-sasl.

* [fix] Fixed a bug inside the profile path pre-connmark.

* [fix] Updated turbulence config run to stop the server if at least
  one listener couldn't be started.

* [new] Updated turbulence profile path to include negative
  expressions.  This allow to configure perl regular expression that
  match its negation.  Supported prefixes: "!" and "not". Great!

* [new] Added support for preconnmark attribute at profile path item
  configuration, allowing to enforce the existence of a particular
  mark before a channel can be created.

* [new] Finished initial fully tested and working version for the
  profile path support. Now the profile path supports checking for
  connection marks (<if-success connmark="some-mark">).

  This helps to not only check for the presence of a successfully
  created channel but for a particular mark which notifies a
  particular state.  For instance, SASL channels can be created but
  having the right connmark shows that the channel have finished
  successfully auth operations.  This is getting really
  interesting. GREAT!

* [fix] Added an internal support to allow the turbulence
  administration to use regular expression like * or / without
  escaping them. Because we are using pcre, * or / have an especial
  meaning. Now it is possible to write:

   - <if-success profile="http://iana.org/beep/SASL/*"> 

   which is translated to:

   - <if-success profile="http:\/\/iana.org\/beep\/SASL/.*">. 

* [fix] Finished initial working prototype support profile path
  support.  This initial support allows to select a profile path to be
  applied according to the connection source, server name parameter
  and profiles requested. Great!

* [fix] committing initial implementation that parses and process
  profile path configuration. Checked that the engine deallocates all
  memory used on exit for the profile path support.

* [new] Added initial implementation and working configuration example
  describing initial design and features to be supported for the new
  profile path support. Added to the configure.ac process, detection
  support for pcre (perl regular expressions), required by profile
  path.

* [fix] Making turbulence_config_load to return a status code, that
  allows notifying an error found to the caller.

* [fix] Making turbulence module close to call to all modules to close
  and cleanup its resources allocated.

* [fix] Updated tunnel configuration resolver (to translate "profile"
  and "endpoint" values) to better check request received.

* [fix] Fixed Makefile.am files at the mod tunnel.

* [fix] Updating autoconf files, included new mod-sasl, renamed
  config.xml to turbulence.conf and main configuration template to
  include new options to handle bad signals.

* [new] Added initial mod-sasl implementation which provides fully
  working authentication backend for plain profile. Included an
  initial implementation for a tool to manage user database:
  tbc-sasl-conf.

* [fix] Finished first fully working implementation for the TUNNEL
  profile.  Now turbulence is able to act as a general BEEP
  application proxy. Great!!  It implements the default proxy
  behavior for ip4/fqdn/port and also provides a realtime
  configuration file to translate endpoint and profile to particular
  host location values.

* [new] Removed sasl initial module and implemented a module
  (mod-sasl) to implement all SASL related functions.

* [new] Added a new function to control if debug to console is
  activated and a new function to get the last modification time for a
  file.
  
  - turbulence_set_console_debug
  - turbulence_last_modification 

* [new] Updated turbulence signal handler for SIGSEGV and SIGABRT to
  allow controlling if the signal is ignored, hold or let the exit
  operation to continue. This is now control through the main
  configuration file, at the global settings.

* [fix] Changed default main configuration file from config.xml to
  turbulence.conf.

* [fix] Making turbulence to be built as a library and an an
  executable that init it, allowing to use source code provided by the
  library from modules developed and tools around them.

* [fix] Updated source code to properly implement the exit operation,
  deallocating all resources. Added support to colorify console debug
  (by activating a command line option).

* [new] Updated default configuration DTD validation file to include a
  error-log node used to report error log.

* [new] Finished initial working API to load and activate modules. Now
  turbulence checks and activates module, registering them to be
  unloaded once turbulence finish. API added:
 
   - turbulence_module_get_init
   - turbulence_module_get_close
   - turbulence_module_register
   - turbulence_module_free
   - turbulence_module_cleanup

* [new] Implemented initial signal handling for usual signals (SIGINT,
  SIGTERM, SIGKKILL, SIGQUIT, SIGSEGV, SIGABRT, SIGHP).

* [new] Added support to the application for a new flag (--debug)
  which allows to disable console log (or enable it).

* [new] Making turbulence to send all log messages to log files
  configured at the turbulence main configuration. API added:

   - turbulence_log_init
   - turbulence_log_report
   - turbulence_log_cleanup

* [new] Created a new module to hold all definitions used by
  turbulence modules.

* [fix] Committing first version with a minimal structure to start,
  read the configuration, validate all items, find modules, validate
  them and exec them.

* [fix] Committing last changes to validate turbulence main
configuration
  file.

* [new] Committing initial files for the new BEEP server application.

About Us
~~~~~~~~

  Aspl (Advanced Software Production Line) is a Spanish company that
  provides services and support to introduce open source products into
  organizations.

  It has more than 6 years of experience and its main development line
  is to provide software development and support to install GNU/Linux
  enterprise servers that provides mail, file and firewall services.

  Contact us, using English or Spanish, to get commercial support
  and/or BEEP based development services.

  You can reach us:

       http://www.aspl.es - [email-masked]

  We hope Vortex Library and Turbulence help you. Enjoy Turbulence!

--
Francis Brosnan Blázquez           - [email-masked]
Advanced Software Production Line  - http://www.aspl.es
6th august 2007, Madrid (Spain)

_______________________________________________
BEEPwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://drakken.dbc.mtview.ca.us/mailman/listinfo/beepwg